Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Sippy cup failing Please help!

So we are trying to go from bottle to cup... He was introduced to a sippy around six months. He has gotten pretty good at drinking from it when we offer water at dinner or with snacks. Still he only drinks maybe two oz tops. Not a big deal with water but he won't drink more than that of formula either. We use the Nuk cups, he hates all others and doesn't grasp the straw. I don't know what to do... Practice makes perfect? Wait until we start on wcm in a week or two? Stick with it even though he isn't drinking enough or start sippy end bottle? I'm so confused and super concerned that he won't drink enough when we switch to milk. Advice thoughts and experience please!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - Random Ramblings

Re: Sippy cup failing Please help!

• Have you tried putting the formula/milk in a valve-less sippy?  He's probably used to it coming out faster and since it's a little thicker, it's going to take more effort to get it out of a valve-d sippy.  They're not spill proof but are a good stepping stone.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Personally, we waited till DS was truly ready, which was about 2 weeks ago (16 months). Until then, I tried every 3-4 weeks but didn't push it.

With DD, she got a straw cup at 12-13 months and couldnt do a "regular" sippy until 24 months. Took FOREVER.

They get water in them, milk/calcium comes from cheese/yogurt for us, since I will NOT put milk in a sippy (makes a mess).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the same concern. DD loves water in her sippy but hates formula in it with a passion. I have only tried a few times since I am trying to make it a gradual transition, but so far she's not having it. Sorry, no great advice here. Let us know how it goes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageelmoali:
    Have you tried putting the formula/milk in a valve-less sippy?  He's probably used to it coming out faster and since it's a little thicker, it's going to take more effort to get it out of a valve-d sippy.  They're not spill proof but are a good stepping stone.

Im kind of thinking its the opposite problem... We have always used the slow flow nipples and I think the sippy is faster. He still gets choked up on his water sometimes if he starts chugging too fast 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - Random Ramblings
  • Have you tried the soft spout, feels like a bottle but drinks like a sippy cup? I know I saw some at babies r us from Tommie tippie or whatever that looked very interesting. DS will drink all his formula out of a sippy but sometimes he gets upset, I notice if I put him in his infant/toddler rocking chair with his sippy he does just fine and some times he will be ok just sitting on the floor drinking it but not that often, it seems like when he REALLY wants the milk and I hand him his sippy is when he gets really upset and I think it's because he thinks I'm giving him water but as soon as he takes a sip and realizes its milk he calms down. They'll get used to it he won't be taking bottles in lunchbox or anything ;).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"