Stay at Home Moms

Hello!

While I'm not new to TB, I am new to this board! I was lurking a little bit, but mostly just had a question about being a potential SAHM. DH and I both work full time and are both part-time Graduate students. (DH-law school, me-Business school). We are expecting LO in Sept. We are considering me being a SAHM for a year, starting after my maternity leave is over (so more like 15 months total). We have enough $ (a year of my salary) saved to do this, but I'm more questioning what the best choice for us will be. DH firmly believes we can't make a decision until after I have the baby and we see how it goes. He also believes I should try going back to work after maternity leave to see if it can work for us. I agree I should try but I mostly hate my job at this point (it's been building for several years) and really need an out. I've worked there for 6 1/2 years and am pretty much "stuck" in my position. I'm sure being PG makes the fact that I'm pretty much miserable 100% worse. I also wonder how much stress I'd be under working full time, a new mom and trying to finish my MBA...

Bottom line- have any of you ladies quit your Fulltime job for a year or so and then considered re-entering the workforce? (again, I would be finishing up my MBA during that time as well-it's an online MBA so it's very flexible). TY!

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

Re: Hello!

• Have you investigated this option with your company's HR?  I know MOST companies require you to work a minimum of time before and AFTER maternity leave or you will have to repay it.  So for a lot of people you cannot take maternity leave and then decide to quit.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • imageToastieSimons:
    Have you investigated this option with your company's HR?  I know MOST companies require you to work a minimum of time before and AFTER maternity leave or you will have to repay it.  So for a lot of people you cannot take maternity leave and then decide to quit.

That's a really good point, one which I hadn't considered. Something else to look in to...

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Loading the player...
  • imageToastieSimons:
    Have you investigated this option with your company's HR?  I know MOST companies require you to work a minimum of time before and AFTER maternity leave or you will have to repay it.  So for a lot of people you cannot take maternity leave and then decide to quit.

This.  And even if your company doesn't require it, it's frowned on to quit after maternity leave without returning to work at all.  It isn't really fair to the company. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • ta78ta78 member

While that is something to look into, there are women on this board that have left their full time jobs once baby is here. Working, school and mommy is a lot to take on, and while it is doable it's not for everyone. I know I couldn't do it.

I left a job I hated about a month before DH was born and have never regretted it. My plan was to only stay home for a year or so, but plans change and I will be home until our youngest (we hope to have at least one more) goes to school. Maybe these plans will change again, you never know.

Also, this board can be slow on the weekends so don't get discouraged by responses you weren't looking for.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"