Success after IF

Can I ask a dumb? Re: pics of kids

So why is it bad to have pics of your LOs in siggie? Is it because it identifies us or them or what?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can I ask a dumb? Re: pics of kids

• i think that's the basic idea--that it makes it harder to have anonymity and hence privacy from the rest of the world. i think people are pretty spooked right now about privacy issues--it's just a really tough aspect of an internet message board.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, I get it, but I just don't care.

My life is too boring for someone to track me over here, and if they do, and find out that I discuss things like potty training, and lamenting that I wish I could lose weight and my daughter went roller skating, I think I'll be okay.

• Loading the player...
  • Well, for me, it is two things.  One is that our pictures can be used without our consent, because they are public in this forum.  So, other people's pictures of their children have ended up on Pinterest on boards that the Bump has made.  Also, as I just learned, if someone googles your screen name, many of our pics come up under images.

But the anonymity is certainly a factor for me as well.  I like to participate in discussions openly and share my honest opinion.  I work in schools, so I have to be careful what I post on my FB page.  I would not want my open discussions on this board to be linked to my name and, then possibly, my professional life.

My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • For me, it is much less about my/our anonymity (which I've never really assumed was very solid) than about the fact that you lose ownership and control of them and TB sees fit (and is/has actively) using posters' pics in ways that I think are inappropriate in order to promote their site.

Are you listening Bump Gods?  You are driving ppl away! :)

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I removed M's picture when the whole pinterest thing happened but I decided to add one back.  I missed having a picture there.  :)  But I did decide to put one up that does not include her face.  The anonymity was less of an issue for me as the fact that people could save the picture, and in essence the post, to their pinterest.
  • I'm not concerned about it - obviously.  If you google my bump name you don't get any bump pics (try it - ha ha!!  The secret to anonymity - choosing the name of a character from a crazy popular book and movie.)  The pin.terest thing doesn't bother me either.  Whatevs, it's a pic of my kid on a roller coaster thingy. 
    Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• I don't really care. My name on the internet has been the same for years, almost where ever I go. I don't post anything I care about and interesting enough for people to blackmail me over - haha. If they know me and their lives are boring enough to find my life that entertaining to follow my posts on the internet than maybe they should find a good book instead.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • i am another that doesn't care that much.  I don't care if someone takes a pic and puts it on pinterest- i'd be flattered.... it's not like I woudln't make money off of it and they would --- if i had any pics THAT good, sure, i wouldn't put them here, lol.

Pam from the multiples board has had her pictures stolen from her blog and used on other people's blogs who faked triplet pregnancies, etc... CRAZY people. One of the pics pam was even in it- and the woman called her the "aunt".... she still has pics in her siggy/blog - b/c in the end, what is the real damage?

I am not that worried about someone stalking me on here an finding me b/c of pics of my kids.  I have bumped into MANY nesties/bumpies in public who recognize me b/c of my boys (Griffin's hair is a totaly give-away that it's me)... and I like that they say hello and that they remembered Griffin, etc. 

There was only one chick ever that I worried was a freaky stalker type- but it wasn't about my kids at all... I had data saved on her - my DH had it, etc- but again, nothing to do with my kids or their pics.  If someone wanted to find me - the pics of my kids woudl be of little help - there is more info out there about us all online than you'd ever know.... people can always "find" you.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Ditto as far as what the concerns are. :) 

FWIW, I'm not any more concerned now than I always have been.  The Nest has always been public so it's a chance I've always knowingly taken.  I post only very low-res photos with a watermark, so that helps my comfort level a bit.

My bigger concerns are about the way we come up quite high on Google, but that's why for quite a long time I've used random .s in words that someone might Google.  Seeing the link to MSN the other day was creepy but nothing that I haven't been aware since day 1 might happen. 

So I just do what I can not to put any identifying info other than my kids' first names out there; in fact, if anything that's where I'm cutting back, using their initials or DD1/DD2 more than their names in posts.  But my screenname doesn't pull up anything sketchy on Google -- I've looked every 4-6 months since I joined the Knot!  And the photos don't worry me, not at 360 pixels, and of course I've always been mindful about the types of photos I choose to share here.

It's a very personal decision and I totally respect everyone's personal feelings and conclusions on the issue, athough I do miss the daily proof that SaIF kids are consistently the cutest ANYWHERE. ;-)

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"