Parenting
Options

Anyone allergic to dogs/cats?

When you visit someone who has a pet that you are allergic to, do you take medication before you go? What works for you? I usually take regular Sudafed, but I was wondering if there is something that works better. I am staying overnight at a friend's house, and I don't think taking non-drowsy Sudafed is going to be the best idea.

Thanks!!

Re: Anyone allergic to dogs/cats?

• Options
    I"m allergic to cats.  But by and large, as long as I don't touch the cat and then touch my face, I'm o.k.  And in general - that really means I just try to keep my hands away from my face all together since I don't know where the cats have been.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    My brother takes Claritin.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Usually I can only stay in a house with cats for about 15 minutes before my lungs fill up.  I had to stay overnight at a gf's house once and she had a cat.  I took a Claritin and had zero problems.
  • Options
    I'm extremely allergic to dogs and cats as well as most of the outdoors. I take Zyrtec daily. I could not spend the night at someone's house who had dogs or cats unless they had a room that the pet never entered. Even with all my meds, I can only last about 15-20 min in my sister's condo - she has a dog and a cat. After that I'm going for my inhaler. 
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

Claritin and Zyrtec knock me right flat on my kiester...  I take Allegra every day and don't have the sleepiness problem. 

The thing is, it all depends on your level of allergy.  It's one thing to have itchies only it's another to get tightening of the throat or troubles breathing!!  If you have any issues with breathing, spending $60 on a hotel room is cheap compared to a trip to the ER or worse...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"