Natural Birth
Options

Hypnobabies or Bradley classes?

I want a med-free birth this go-around.  I'm wavering between Hypnobabies and Bradley classes.  Have you done either? Both? What did you like about it?  What didn't you like?  Did you accomplish your goal?  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hypnobabies or Bradley classes?

• Options

I did Hypnobirthing the first time around, and I will be taking the Bradley class when I'm pregnant again. My goal was to have a med-free birth, and that didn't happen. (Long story short, I had to be induced at 41 1/2 weeks, I labored for 19 hours without meds, but then I was given Cervadil and it sent me into absolute overdrive. I ended up getting an epidural). I think Hypnobirthing was good for me during my pregnancy, because I'm a very high-strung person and it was very beneficial for me to listen to the affirmations every night, practice the breathing, practice with my H, etc. On the other hand, I didn't feel very well-prepared when things didn't go according to my original plan. It was really hard for me to try and focus on the CD and the scripts when I went from 0-60mph due to the Cervadil (mind you, I'm not blaming Hypnobirthing for my sudden, out of control contractions, but I didn't really feel like the class provided me with the coping mechanisms I could have used during that time).

I've heard really good things about the Bradley class, and I would like to try something different the next time around. 

HTH!

• Options

I did Bradley and felt that it was a great way for my husband to get the information that I had found from reading online and all the Ina May books.

We had a couple in our Bradley class that did Hypnobirth for their first baby and found that when the time came, M felt completely unprepared. I've heard from a couple people (obviously I don't have personal experience with this) that if things don't go according to plan, that only preparing with Hypnobirth methods can leave you a little unsteady. As it's been explained to me, you'll be expecting to go through the labor without much pain and if something interupts the process and you do experience labor without your personal pain management, it can be overwhelming. 

Personally, I have no clue how it goes but wanted to share what I have heard. Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of things that are trendy and I feel like hypnobirthing is trendy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did Bradley with my first, Hypnobabies with my second and third (current).

I did a blog post recently talking about how the experiences played out in my previous pregnancies, and explaining why I chose to switch:

https://homebirthjourney.blogspot.com/2012/03/childbirth-preparation-classes.html

But bottom line, I enjoyed both classes, and I think that either class will prepare you well for childbirth. It really comes down to your own personality and which method "jives" better for you. Even though Hypnobabies works better for me personally at this point in time, I still don't hesitate to recommend Bradley classes to people interested in them.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    flyer23 - I read your blog post - thanks for sharing! D0 you mind if i ask what type of "affirmations" they give you in hypnobabies? Im also debating between these 2 and wondering if ill fit in with the hypno mentality or not. Thanks!
  • Options

imageblonddnyc:
    flyer23 - I read your blog post - thanks for sharing! D0 you mind if i ask what type of "affirmations" they give you in hypnobabies? Im also debating between these 2 and wondering if ill fit in with the hypno mentality or not. Thanks!

It's a CD track that you listen to (~30 mins), that has a bunch of positive statements about pregnancy and childbirth. Stuff like:

"Pregnancy is natural, normal, healthy and safe for me and my baby. My baby is healthy and safe inside me now."

"My changing body is radiantly beautiful."

"Other people's negative thoughts and experiences belong only to them."

"Babies are born on their birthdays, not when doctors decide."

I found myself rolling my eyes a lot when I first started listening to it. I mean, it's hokey, there's new-age music playing in the background, they mention your "easy" birth over and over... really? But by the end of my pregnancy with DS, I was amazed at how I was just like, "Yeah, of course, my easy birth." And it was!

I will say that probably 75% of the time, I end up listening to that track when I'm asleep -- I queue it up after my "main" track for each day, and usually fall asleep within 10 mins of starting the main track. Which is OK: Your subconscious is always listening. But that way, my conscious doesn't have to deal with it Wink

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    I started my Bradley class last week and love it. My DH feels like he gets to be part of the experience and I feel that it is really going to prepare us for the birth. I do get some snarky comments because it is a 3 month class, but being a FTM with no maternal history or support on L&D I will take all the preparedness I can get.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am a FTM and have been wavering between these two methods as well, although after doing a lot of research, reading a lot on these boards and especially watching hypnobabies births on youtube (freaking amazing I may add!!), I think I will be purchasing the hypnobabies course of study for this pregnancy. It's a personal choice though, so do what feels best for you.
  • Options

I used Hypnobabies all three times and I love it.  I've decide to do their teacher training next year.

I love the way I feel during pregnancy when doing Hypnobabies, the relaxation techniques we useful to me in general, not just for birth (I use them still when I'm stressed or have a migraine). And of course, I loved my births with Hypnobabies.

I did the homestudy course and the only thing I wish is that I could have had a local class - the homestudy was great but I would have loved to be able to connect with other expectant moms though the class.

With my three births, my first I did have an epidural, and did not for the others.  All were great experiences though.  This is a video of my 3rd birth.  Hypnobabies doesn't promise a pain-free birth, but for two out of three births I had pain free labors and very manageable discomfort during pushing/crowning.

DS1 6/07
    DS2 (born at home) 7/09
    DD1 (born at home) 1/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"