Natural Birth

Forgot about the newborn hearing screening test...

I'm not sure if this is a state or national thing but babies born in the hospital in our state get a hearing test before they leave the hospital. Our birth center did not offer this and our pediatrician gave us business cards to local labs to get it done but ran out before I could ask any questions. I forgot and just came across the business cards. I'm considering skipping it all together. I"ll research it further but was wondering if this is something everyone does? (I'm hoping this isn't flame worthy...)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Forgot about the newborn hearing screening test...

• i didn't do it either. exact same thing happened wtih us. i intended to do it, but one thing after another and i just forgot. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's required before we can leave the hospital we are going to. I looked on my state website and it says newborns will be screened no later than 1 month of age, most before hospital discharge.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think you should skip it.  Hearing issues are not always something parents can identiy on their own, and it can cause problems with language development.  We had a home birth and had to get the hearing screen done ourselves.  Our pedi gave us a referral and we went.  It was NBD.  It actually was kind of interesting.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We had a home birth, but we did have it done when she was about 2 weeks old. The only reason we had it done was because my hubby has hearing loss, and was concerned that it might be hereditary. Insurance covered it for us.
  • we didn't do it either
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Definitely do the hearing test.

A friend of mine's little girl was born hard of hearing, not completely deaf but close, and it was caught with the test, they were able to get hearing aids and speech therapy early and because of that she has developed speech normally despite her hearing problem.

While that may not seem like a big deal the fact that she speaks normally will probably be important to her during her teen years, and the fact that she is gaining speech at the normal speed means a lot to her parents. 

• It doesn't hurt to have it done.  They typically try to do it while baby is sleeping so it's not disruptive to LO or invasive.

We didn't have it done with either DS or DD simply because by the time I thought about getting around to it, it was clear they were both able to hear quite well. 

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • imagehopecounts:

Definitely do the hearing test.

A friend of mine's little girl was born hard of hearing, not completely deaf but close, and it was caught with the test, they were able to get hearing aids and speech therapy early and because of that she has developed speech normally despite her hearing problem.

While that may not seem like a big deal the fact that she speaks normally will probably be important to her during her teen years, and the fact that she is gaining speech at the normal speed means a lot to her parents. 

Thank you. I tend to worry so this was the anecdote needed to make me call and set up an appt. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageStarbuck128:
    Yeah, we forgot about it until about 2 weeks. We went because DH has always had slight hearing loss. We had a home birth, and the woman who did the test had never done it on a newborn from a home birth before. She thought it was really exciting. LO did have to be asleep for the test though. That was really stressful for me. How in the world does a FTM insure a 2.5 week old is asleep at a specified time? Miraculously he was! Turns out LO has excellent hearing,

They also told me to make sure she is asleep and suggested bringing a bottle. I have not introduced a bottle yet and wasn't planning on doing so for another week. I I think I'll bring our swaddle sack and my boobs... 

• imageHarper'smom:

imageStarbuck128:
    Yeah, we forgot about it until about 2 weeks. We went because DH has always had slight hearing loss. We had a home birth, and the woman who did the test had never done it on a newborn from a home birth before. She thought it was really exciting. LO did have to be asleep for the test though. That was really stressful for me. How in the world does a FTM insure a 2.5 week old is asleep at a specified time? Miraculously he was! Turns out LO has excellent hearing,

They also told me to make sure she is asleep and suggested bringing a bottle. I have not introduced a bottle yet and wasn't planning on doing so for another week. I I think I'll bring our swaddle sack and my boobs... 

haha!  i'm glad you decided to do it. like a pp said, by the time i realized we hadn't done it, it was very clear that LO could hear. even very faint sounds she would turn her head towards.

a friend of mine also had a child with an issue that was detected by the screening. i think there was a fluid issue that was totally correctable.

i'm sure all will be well with your LO! 

• I don't know why anyone would skip the hearing test.  It is non-invasive and pretty important test.  If your child does have hearing loss, the sooner they know about it the better.  There are so many ways a child could end up delayed because of undiagnosed hearing loss. 

And just because they turn toward noise does not mean they don't have hearing loss...it just means that they can hear some noises. 

::shrugs::  It is a bit of a PITA when you have a homebirth, but it is worth it IMO.  

Oh, and Carly was awake the whole time. It can be done when they are awake- it just takes longer.

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• imagepinksweetpea2:

I don't know why anyone would skip the hearing test.  It is non-invasive and pretty important test.  If your child does have hearing loss, the sooner they know about it the better.  There are so many ways a child could end up delayed because of undiagnosed hearing loss. 

And just because they turn toward noise does not mean they don't have hearing loss...it just means that they can hear some noises. 

::shrugs::  It is a bit of a PITA when you have a homebirth, but it is worth it IMO.  

Oh, and Carly was awake the whole time. It can be done when they are awake- it just takes longer.

Good to know about the awake thing. I found it strange that the birth center didn't say anything other than "we don't do it" when they gave us a lot of info on all of the other newborn procedures. DD had it done at the hospital but again there was no info provided. 

• My son was awake during his.  They had me nurse him because otherwise he was so squirmy that the ledes wouldn't stay on him.  

I am with PSP.  It is a noninvasive test that poses no risk to your child.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My BC does the hearing test - I think they do it in a few sessions. I don't remember the exact time frames, but I think they do one very soon after the birth and another a few weeks after.
  • We did it, for both our kids. With DS1 they did it in the hospital. With DS2 (homebirth) we went and got it done when he was about two or three weeks old. It's one of those things where I can't see any downside to getting it done, so why not play it safe and do it?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • with DD1 I didn't even know they did it routinely and my HB MW never mentioned it so we didn't do it with her.

We haven't done it with this DD2 but I'd like to , especially after reading all this.

Do I ask the pedi for a referral? 

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"