Two Under 2
Options

Does 2nd birth really go faster?

Just wondering if this is true or an old wive's tale.  C was born in 5 hours flat from the first contraction til he was in my arms.  I'm worried that this baby is going to come flying out!  What was your experience?
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does 2nd birth really go faster?

• Options

1st: My water broke at 4:30am and she was born via c/s at 6:30pm. 14 hours.

2nd: My first contraction woke me up at 3:30am and she was born (VBAC!) at 2:30pm. 11 hours.

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • Options
    With my cousin it did. Her first she was in labor for 16 hours and pushed for 2.5. The second one, she had some light contractions but nothing to get too excited about, went to a doc appt., doc sent her to the hospital after checking her. (Hospital is across the parking lot from docs office) Her water broke in the parking lot and by the time they got her into the hospital and to a bed, she was pushing. 3 pushes and baby was here! I'm interested in reading others responses.
    boots badgePhotobucket BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD1: 4 days before the due date my water broke at 9 pm, began pitocin at 7am, started pushing around 2pm, DD born at 8 pm - almost 24 hours after my water broke and 6 hours of active pushing!!!!

DD2:  5 days after my due date we induced.  Began pitocin at 8am, no strong/painful contractions until 5pm, immense pain and epidural by 7:30ish, a couple trial pushes around 8pm and was told to stop so they could call the doctor who was 12 mins away, she arrived at 8:12pm and I pushed all of maybe 6 times before DD was born at 8:25 pm. 

So the birth of DD2 was so much better as I didn't hardly have to push at all!!

It was a long road for our family...our 3 angels in heaven are always watching over us!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    OMG yes!!  My gyno told me about 7 hours start to finish and he was RIGHT ON!!  First time I basically was induced after my water broke at 8am on Sunday.  Didn't deliver until Monday at 11:41am....LONG LONG labor and pushed for an hour and 41 mins.  2nd time, contractions began at 3am and I delivered at 10:04, 2 hours after arriving at the hospital.  Pushed for about 15 mins and only because the cord was wrapped around the baby's shoulder.  I felt great right after and didn't even feel like I had just had a baby.  That's incredible that you had your first in 5 hours, wow!  I wouldn't wait once you start having contractions!!  What does your dr. say?
  • Options

With my first I was in labor for 30 hours and pushed for 5 hours. (8 lb. baby)

With my second I was in labor for 40 hours, never pushed, and ended up with a c/s. (6 lb. baby)

I was expecting it to go much quicker the second time, but it seemed to be the opposite. Even the midwife who was there for delivery seemed surprised at how slow my progress was for a second time mom.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I was induced with DD (start to finish about 9 hours).  My water broke at home (no contractions until I got to the hospital) with DS and he came flying out less than 3 hours later...  one push!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes!  #2 Labor took about half as long as #1 (14 hrs vs 7 hrs).  It was a lot less painful too.  
  • Options
    Yep! 7.5 hours then 2.5 hours
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Depends on how you define "birth".

Labor #1 - water broke 10:30 am, contractions started 1:30pm, painful contractions started 5:30pm, born at 9:40pm. Total pushing time about 45 min.

Labor #2 - contractions started 3am (pretty painful and 5 min apart right away), baby born at 11am, 14 min of pushing.

So the total start to finish time was shorter if you start my first labor from water breaking. The length from first contraction to birth was about the same with both. The length of time I was having painful contractions was longer with #2. Pushing time was shorter with #2. 

• Options
    For me, I labored about the same time, but I stayed home longer for #2 so it felt shorter since I wasn't in hospital as long and the pushing was WAY quicker.  I literally only pushed for about 5 minutes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

With DD I pushed for 15 min (6 pound baby)

DS I pushed 3 times and he was 8 pounds!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My second was quite a bit faster. 

First time my water broke around 3:30 AM on a Sunday and I was 0 cm dilated.  DS1 was born around 7:30 AM Monday after 2 hours of pushing - 28ish hours total from water breaking to baby.

This time my water broke around 11 PM on a Wednesday and I was 1 cm dilated.  DS2 was born around 8:30 AM on Thursday after 20 minutes of pushing - 9.5ish hours total from water breaking to baby.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

DD1 was 12 hours start to finish

DD2 was 19 hours =(

not true in my case. And DD1 was even sunny side-up, 2 of those hours were pushing!

I honestly would be thrilled if #3 would come even a little bit faster 

DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • Options

With DS he was 10 days early from due date, water broke at 3:00 a.m., no active labor, only dilated 1 cm, had pitocin, epi around 4 p.m., gave birth at 7:30 p.m. and pushed for 1 1/2 hours. He was 8 lbs.

With DD, induced 14 days early from due date (due to my high blood pressure). MD broke my water at 8 a.m., I was already dilated 5 cms, had pitocin, epi around 11 a.m., gave birth at 1:45 p.m. and pushed for less then 20 min (and had to stop so they could get an MD in room). She was 8 lbs, 10 ozs.

• Options
    Yes! From start of early labor my first was 27 hours with almost 2.5 hours of pushing. The second was less than 6 hours start to finish with about 10 minutes of pushing.
  • Options
    I labored for half the time with #2. During delivery with #1 I pushed for 20 minutes and he was out. (5 contractions.) With #2 I pushed twice and she was out- it was less than 5 minutes. The nurses told me that if I have a third to let them know ahead of time that I deliver very quickly....LOL.
  • Options

My first labor from my water breaking to birth was around 25 hours.  My second was so fast I had my daughter within 7 minutes of parking the car at the hospital and maybe two hours from the first contraction that woke me up.

So yes, for me, my 2nd was WAY faster.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I needed pitocin after my water broke both times. Contractions took longer to start the second time, but when they did, things progressed much faster. With my first, it took about 5 hours from the time the contractions got uncomfortable until I had my baby in my arms. The second time, it took about 3.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Mrs.VMrs.V member

No, mine were both the same in length.

• Options

Both were 24 hours total, active with #1 was 6 hours, number 2 was 13 hours. 

My 2nd was not a "normal" delivery and had her head stuck sideways, plus she was 1.5 lbs larger than my first (despite measuring behind regularly....) so I'm thinking I'm the odd duck on this one. 

• Options

#1- I was induced (pre-e) and I was in labor for close to 24 hours (pushed for an hour)

#2- I went into labor on my own at 38w1d and was in labor for about 8 hours. I pushed for less than 10 minutes!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"