Natural Birth

Embarrassed to ask...

but, here it goes. With DD and DS I never had hemorhoids with either of them while pregnant, or after labor (so lucky!) With this baby, I have had increasingly more uncomfortable ones as the pregnancy progresses. I am actually getting nervous about how much they will bother me during labor. I feel like I have a VERY high pain tolerance, but I just envision them absolutely killing me during labor from the pressure of baby descending. I'm thinking once I am in transition they will be the last thing on my mind. But, I am worried about pushing with them...

Can anyone tell me there experience pushing with already exisiting hemmies? Am I building this up too much in my mind? I am seriously thinking about it a lot lately! Luckily I have had to push very minimally with both children (less than 10 contractions for DD and only two pushes for DS) Oh, and I am expecting a 9 lb plus baby...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Embarrassed to ask...

• I had hemmies before DD2 was born, but pretty minor ones that would come and go.

I don't think they were a current issue when I went into labour. They didn't bother me at all whilst in labour or while pushing (10lb baby)

they have been an ongoing issue for me since LO was born. Ugh. I think I'm starting to get on top of them. 

ETA: Have you talked to your midwife or OB about them? Suppositories are really helpful if you haven't tried those already. Also stool softener might help you. Beyond that lots of fibre, water and exercise all help.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• imageKateLouise:

I had hemmies before DD2 was born, but pretty minor ones that would come and go.

I don't think they were a current issue when I went into labour. They didn't bother me at all whilst in labour or while pushing (10lb baby)

they have been an ongoing issue for me since LO was born. Ugh. I think I'm starting to get on top of them. 

ETA: Have you talked to your midwife or OB about them? Suppositories are really helpful if you haven't tried those already. Also stool softener might help you. Beyond that lots of fibre, water and exercise all hel

I guess you could say mine have been minor too, because they come and go, but as baby is getting bigger, they have really been bothering me. I haven't brought them up yet to my OB, because I tend to suck up all pain (like I said, high pain tolerance, lol) but I am just anxious about labor and I'm not gonna lie- post partum life with them!  How have you been getting on top of them? I have been also adding a tiny bit of caffeine everyday and that has really helped alleviate all constipation.

• Loading the player...
  • This is what I am dreading as well because my labors start with severe BM and it causes them to get really bad. I just discovered that witch hazel helps so much. It is the active ingredient in tucks pads. I use tucks pads but I also plan to drench the toilet paper with witch hazel during labor and just keep applying it and maybe even having a wash cloth with witch hazel on it applied to the area while baby is coming out. My midwife also gave me a topical cream that helps (like preparation H) and of course making sure you stay regular is a benefit. I recommend this tea. It works wonders; I wish I would have learned about it sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Medicinals-Stimulant-Laxative-16-Count/dp/B0009F3PJE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1335503017&sr=8-5

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• I had them really bad after the labor of my first child.  They flared up again during my second pregnancy but weren't a factor during labor.  however, it is after delivery that they were terrible.  Ice, ice, baby - is my advice.  Plus, the tucks pad on the maxi pads and extra witch hazel post partum really helped.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagebalibaby:
    imageKateLouise:

I had hemmies before DD2 was born, but pretty minor ones that would come and go.

ETA: Have you talked to your midwife or OB about them? Suppositories are really helpful if you haven't tried those already. Also stool softener might help you. Beyond that lots of fibre, water and exercise all hel

I guess you could say mine have been minor too, because they come and go, but as baby is getting bigger, they have really been bothering me. I haven't brought them up yet to my OB, because I tend to suck up all pain (like I said, high pain tolerance, lol) but I am just anxious about labor and I'm not gonna lie- post partum life with them!  How have you been getting on top of them? I have been also adding a tiny bit of caffeine everyday and that has really helped alleviate all constipation.

Mine got bad when I was on iron supplements which caused constipation. My midwife prescribed lactulose (a stool softener) which helped.

Then LO was born and they got really bad when I spent the early weeks sitting on a couch nursing DD2, so activity and exercise really helped ease mine. 

My Dr prescribed suppositories and laxatives after I went off the iron supplements. Even though I wasn't constipated and my stools were normal, I was in a lot of pain. I got to where I was scared to go to the toilet.

But the laxatives and suppositories  have allowed my hemmies to heal. Plus I've been drinking lots of water, eating lots of fruit, and I'm not on the couch all day and am able to get out and exercise.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• From what I've heard, they really don't even cross your mind once you get past a certain point in labor.

I've had some really bad ones and all the "normal" stuff wasn't working. I can't tell you how many tucks pads and prep H and witch hazel I went through in a week. Also, my iron supplements were fighting with my stool softener and sometimes I had easy BMs and sometimes they were AWFUL. But my OB prescribed me a steroid suppository (I could barely walk they were that big and awful) and it was like effing magic. I was back to tolerable in a few days.

Basically, the moral of my story is: You won't notice during labor and if they get really bad, definitely talk to your doctor because he/she can offer relief. I kept putting it off, but if I hadn't mine wouldn't have gotten as bad as they did. 

(An unmatched left parenthesis creates an unresolved tension that will stay with you all day.

The Princess of Anything is Coming!

Had a dream I was queen.
    Woke up. Still queen.
  • I never noticed them during labor. My son was 10.5 lbs. I had them after labor for a while, too.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• i did not have hemi's, i had vulvar varicosities (varicose veins in the vulva and labia). 

it was excruciatingly painful at times during pregnancy. sometimes i couldn't walk or be upright. this was mostly during my first pregnancy. i had it during my second, but it wasn't as intense.

i was really worried about it in labor, but to be honest, my mind was really so far away from that, it wasn't an issue at all. 

i do recall during the actual birth, i thought my veins there were just going to explode. it was the most uncomfortable part of the birth. but they didn't. they were just fine.

still, i'd just as soon not have that problem than have it! 

• I didn't have any hemi's until the day I went into labor.  They were extremely uncomfortable during early labor, but I didn't notice them at all during active labor.

I used witch hazel pads for about three weeks before they went away.  I still get flare ups every so often, but lots of water, fiber and witch hazel do the trick for me.

• I had pretty bad ones with my first, and I asked my nurse-midwife pretty much the same question you just posed. She almost kind of laughed and said that in labor they will be farthest from my mind. She was right, in my case.

Hope the same for you. And I feel your pain. Hemorrhoids are atrocious!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"