High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Intro- just diagnosed with GD

Well I hate for my first post to be a debbie downer, but here goes. My blood sugar after the 2 hour test was supposed to be 140 or below. Well it was 360! They had to test 3 times to be sure. It was so bad they can't give me the regular 3 hour follow up GD test because I could go into a coma!I know all about diabetes because my grandpa has been diabetic for 16 years. I'm going to have a really tough time controlling this because although I used to be really active (riding 8+ horses a day and doing barn work prior to pregnancy) I can now hardly walk due to Pelvic Girdle Pain, which is totally debilitating. I keep thinking how great it was that I used to run long distance, and now I can't even run 10 steps without screaming in pain. I also can't use artificial sweeteners in my diet because the give me headaches (stevia is the only alternative- it's natural and I haven't had problems with it so far). I'm really hoping to stay off insulin and control it with diet alone (as my grandpa has), but without exercise I don't know how successful I'll be. 
Also I was really hoping for a natural childbirth, but now I'm reading that most GD moms are induced at 39 weeks. Is there any hope that I can still do this?Thanks for reading :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro- just diagnosed with GD

• Options

Sorry to hear about the GD.  I had it with #1 and now again with #2.  Excercise did not help at all for me so don't feel bad about your decreased activity. 

Not all induce at 39 weeks, some do, some don't you will obviously need to check with your OB.  I was induced the first time.  How do you define natural childbirth? 

GL

• Options
    I was diagnosed last month. So far, diet and no insulin is keeping my numbers in check. My dietician has been very helpful in creating a comfortable diet plan. As for the induction, my doctor told me that although they wouldn't let me go much past my due date of August 7, they won't induce unless I'm showing dilation or fetal distress/enlargment. I have to go for weekly checks starting in mid May, (now I am every two weeks) where I will have more ultrasounds and the baby will have non-stress tests. It's not ideal, but at least this is easily controlled with diet and insulin if needed, and monitored closely to ensure the healthiest outcome possible for us and our babies.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Good luck- I know everyone hopes to stay off of meds/insulin but you really have no control over GD at all- and it seems like you may need insulin (I know my dr would've put me on insulin if my numbers were what yours were)

If they were concerned your numbers were so high you could go into diabetic coma- I hope they gave you insulin.  That's nothing to mess around with. 

Surprise BFP after 5 yrs of TTC
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"