C-sections
Options

How was your c-section scheduled?

Did you get to pick a date?  Was it with "your" doctor you regularly see?  Was it just randomly chosen for you and you just went with it? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How was your c-section scheduled?

• Options

My hospital schedules c-sections after 39 weeks.  They also only schedule c-sections on Tuesdays and Fridays.  (Of course, if I go into labor on my own before the scheduled date, my doc will do a c-section on whatever random day.)  My due date is Thursday, May 17 so I chose Friday, May 18.  A 3-day weekend visit works better for visiting relatives than, say, a random Tuesday.  It is also scheduled with my primary OB. 

This is a RCS for me.  When I went into labor with DD, my primary OB was on vacation so another doc from the practice attended my labor and did the c-section.  He was very professional and I felt fine with his doing the surgery.  I thought I would care more about this but honestly, at the time I was so excited to see her that I really didn't care. 

• Options
    My OB scheduled mine for 37w4d (twins). She and my MFM chose the date, and yes, you just go with it. 
    MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1 April 2011 - Cancelled
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
    IVF 2 October 2011 - BFP!
    *Identical Twin Boys born June 2012*
    Here we go again...IVF 3 is underway!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At my OB practice they make sure you have seen all the doctors so that when you go into labor whoever is on hospital duty that day will deliver you. For c-section scheduling I chose, one Dr operated Tuesday, one Wednesday, my Dr, Thursday, another Friday. So, if the date/day was important you could go with a different Dr. and chose the day or your own Dr. I hope that makes sense.
  • Options

We got to pick the date all 3 times and get to pick the date again. My OB is a solo practice, so she is doing the c/s again (hopefully! Unless I go into labor before my scheduled date and she is not working).

My hospital doesn't schedule c/s until you are at least 32 weeks........ 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

I was allowed to pick any day after 39 weeks as long as it's not a Sunday and they have a spot. I'm due May 19th and I picked the 14th. I just told my OB what I wanted and he had his nurse book it for me. I've know this whole pregnancy that I would have  RCS. Since  nothing was booked when I picked I also got to pick what time of day I wanted.

With DS2 I didn't decide until a few days before that I wanted a RCS so I got what they gave me.

My OB tries his best to do all of his own deliveries even if he isn't on call. He delivered Ds2 and unless something big comes up he will deliver this LO too. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They just scheduled mine for exactly one week before I was due. I didn't have any say in it, really.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I got told at 7:30pm that I was having babies and that a c-section was the safest option. 3 hours later my boys were born.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I knew I was having one my whole pregnancy so around 30 weeks or so I asked my OB about scheduling it and he said it can be scheduled at their office when I check out.  I got to pick a date but I bet they would have picked one for me randomly if I asked them to.  I wanted a day that it would be first thing in the morning because I don't think I could have waited in anticipation for part of the day! 
    It literally took less than 5 minutes.

Edited:  Also wanted to add that mine had to be scheduled at 39 weeks or later, nothing earlier.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options
    I picked a date and it was with my OB.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    imagestemms8810:

I wanted a day that it would be first thing in the morning because I don't think I could have waited in anticipation for part of the day! 

This depends on your OB. Some OB's don't perform scheduled c-sections until afternoon or evening. Just the way their office works. My OB only performs c-sections in the morning hours (her office hours start at 11am)........ 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    My doctor told me a date that worked for her and the hospital and we went with it (I was 39w2d and DD was breech).  It ensured that I got to have my doctor perform the CS.
  • Options
    At 18 weeks after my a/s we put the date on the books. I could pick whenever in the 39th week. I picked 39w5d. It was with my OB.
  • Options
    My OB said your due date is 10-31 you can pick a date within one week of 10-31. we picked 10-25. We have not officially scheduled time or anything yet but they know that is the date we want. I really want to be home in time to take LO trick or treating. There are three doctors in the practice and I really like all three so I don't care who it is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The scheduler at my OB office called me after my 28wk appt to schedule both times (ds2 and this time). She asked if there was a certain day or doctor I wanted the week of my 39th week of pregnancy. I told her which doctor I wanted which isn't the doctor I actually like to see in the office. She told me when she was scheduled for that week and I took it.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My Dr said anything after 38 weeks.  He was unavailable for several days during the 39th week, and in my case, he did not recommend waiting until 39 weeks anyway.  I only had 1 day that week I did not want my son born if I could help it (the anniversary of my DD's passing). 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    My practice scheduled c-sections after 39 weeks on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, so I could pick basically from three days and from whichever of the OBs was scheduled to do c-sections that day.  So I was scheduled for a Tuesday, when I was going to be 39w2d, and had a pre-op appointment with the OB a week before.  As it turned out, I went into labor a few days early and the c/s was done by the doctor on call.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    DD2 was breech and it was discovered at my 37wk appt.  We tried an external version at 38wk, which failed.  I knew going in "If this doesn't work, we'll schedule a c/s next Wednesday." The nurse just called with the time and pre-op instructions. I had my OB and a resident.
    BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the responses, everyone.  I got a call from the hospital last week that I had one scheduled but I panicked and cancelled it.  My background is that I'm trying to VBAC so I sort of thought that putting one on the books was like giving up on that goal. I just felt a little betrayed by my doctor and that we'd have more of a dialogue about it rather than just slapping something on the calendar.  Again, thanks for sharing how yours was scheduled. 
  • Options
    I had four different dates before I had Ella.  I was high risk though and the day before I had her I had previously had three nonreactive NST's including that day's and had severely rising amniotic fluid when I already had polyhydramnios.  I was then put on the next mornings c section list without an amnio and she was finally born at 7:30 PM that evening.  My first date was with the dr I normally saw most out of the practice and felt most comfortable with, the next date was with another dr who I felt comfortable with, the next date was with a physician I had only seen once, and the dr who delivered Ella I had never met before in the practice. 
    Married 05/27/07 ~ Emilee Lucille born 04/01/08 ~ Ella Marie 2/15/12 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    it was when the OR was available as well as my dr.  Ended up going early so didnt matter in the long run
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"