Blended Families
Options

Question about CS enforcement in TN

I believe it's Felles who is in TN, but if any other members have info regarding TN's CS enforcement, I'd love to hear it. 

After years of non-payment (arrearages are approximately $20k) and the constant back and forth with CA's Child Support Agency, I finally got the interstate action done and our CS Order is going to TN for enforcement and collection.  Unfortunately, CA doesn't really have any information as to how TN handles the enforcement.  Aside from the obvious wage garnishment, which won't work because he works for cash doing construction, what steps does TN take? 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Question about CS enforcement in TN

• Options

Garnish IRS refund (if any), liens on property (house/vehicle), suspension of drivers license and any professional licenses.

Can I ask what you mean by interstate action?

• Options
    I know in my state you can file to intercept federal tax refunds.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm in TN, but my divorce/CO was done in Florida. So I don't have any firsthand knowledge. 

But if there's anything I can do to help you, I'd be happy to. I live really close to all the local courts, so it if you wanted me to go ask some questions or pick up some forms or anything like that, just let me know. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

@Hope: the interstate action is because I live in CA, where the CO was established, and my XH now lives in TN.  When one party lives in another State, CA has to "apply" to the other State (in this case TN) to perform enforcement and collection efforts on CA's behalf.  CA can't suspend his driver's license in TN, or intercept any State tax returns, or Unemployment or Disability payments because those are State issued.  So by getting the Interstate Order, TN can step in and do all the things CA can't in an effort to collect the CS payments.

@Felles:  I knew you were in TN and I just assumed your CO was established there, sorry.  If you are able to get any info that would be incredibly amazing of you.  I made a couple calls and couldn't really get through to anyone who had any info.  There aren't really any forms I would need, CA had me fill everything out already.  Unfortunately they just don't know what steps TN takes.  They think TN will establish their own "case" there so that the Courts there have jurisdiction over my XH and can proceed with Civil and/or Criminal penalties...

• Options

I just got off the phone with my local CS enforcement office.

She said that once TN gains jurisdiction over the case, they will try to garnish his wages and his federal tax returns (TN has no state income tax).

Does he have any professional licenses? If so, they can suspend those.

They will also suspend his driver's license. He will have to pay a fine for it to be reinstated, and that money will go towards his balance.

They will also push for incarceration for up to 6 months. Any fines/fees associated with that will also go towards his CS balance. 

The woman I talked to didn't give me her name, but she was very pleasant and helpful. I can PM you the number for the office if you like. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imagefellesferie:

I just got off the phone with my local CS enforcement office.

She said that once TN gains jurisdiction over the case, they will try to garnish his wages and his federal tax returns (TN has no state income tax).

Does he have any professional licenses? If so, they can suspend those.

They will also suspend his driver's license. He will have to pay a fine for it to be reinstated, and that money will go towards his balance.

They will also push for incarceration for up to 6 months. Any fines/fees associated with that will also go towards his CS balance. 

The woman I talked to didn't give me her name, but she was very pleasant and helpful. I can PM you the number for the office if you like. 

Wow, you ma'am are awesome!!  Thank you so much!!  I would love that number if you don't mind, that way I can call whenever I think of yet another question.

• Options
    imagejobalchak:

Wow, you ma'am are awesome!!  Thank you so much!!  I would love that number if you don't mind, that way I can call whenever I think of yet another question.

No problem at all! Let me know if I can do anything else.

And YGPM w/ the phone number. 

my read shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"