Natural Birth
Options

Acupuncture to induce

I'm sure this has been asked before, but the bump's search function hates me, so please pardon the repeat thread. Has anyone has success with acupuncture to induce? I'm trying it today for the first time and wonder what to expect. Does it take a series of visits, or should I have my apartment "post-baby visitor ready" before I go in? I googled the woman my midwife recommended and was pleased to see that she's written articles with and been interviewed by Ina Mae several times. I'm a little apprehensive about encouraging baby to arrive earlier than he wants, but I'm no longer eligible for my birthing center if I'm not in active labor by Tuesday.
Belly Dweller: EDD 04/22/2014
Big Boy: Born 05/2012

Re: Acupuncture to induce

• Options
    One of my friends did this in November and her water broke the next day! I think it's worth a shot! GL!
  • Options
    CelynCelyn member
    Pre-dates, it might only help get everything properly aligned for labor.  Post-dates, in my experience, if your cervix is ripe, it will kick things into gear within 48 hours.  If it's not or if the baby is still really high, it might take more time and more than one visit.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.  I'm postdate (barely), but my bump is still very high and I was barely a fingertip dilated at last check.  I'm having my membranes swept again tomorrow morning, so hopefully the combination will jump start something. 
    Belly Dweller: EDD 04/22/2014
    Big Boy: Born 05/2012
  • Options

I did it when I went overdue with my younger son. I had three sessions, three days in a row, because supposedly it works better when it's done multiple times. I did go into labor the day after my last session, but I was also 10+ days overdue.

I don't think acupuncture comes with any risks, so it's worth a shot. Hope you go into labor soon!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I had accupuncture on Tuesday the 17th (my due date) she came on the 22nd, labor started the 21st. Not sure if it helped start labor but I will say that afterwards I was very relaxed and that may help you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"