June 2011 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Spill em ladies

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: UO Thursday

• Options

I know it's probably old and outdated but I think you should look nice for church and I don't like seeing people wearing jeans or low cut tops etc.  It's not that I judge them for it I just love getting dressed up in a dress for church.

I am not a fan of how the 80's fashions seem to be returning.  At church on Sunday there was a teenage (probably) girl wearing a skin tight neon mini skirt with a different neon colored tank top and another loose drapey one shoulder shirt over the top.  It was just so... ugh. :)

I don't think Beyonce is all that pretty (she topped out People's most beautiful people this year). 

• Options
    klvklv member
    Staying home with Hannah full time drives me insane. Especially since DH works weird hours, he is rarely here for bedtime or dinner. Mad props to all the single parents out there because I could not do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageklv:
    Staying home with Hannah full time drives me insane.

Haha me too... which is why I keep trying to liven up the darn board... I need some entertainment when things are done around the house and my baby is sleeping!  I'm so bored.  

• Options

I don't find it impressive when people lose a ton of weight after gastric bypass surgery.  There are two people on my FB feed posting weekly updates on their weight loss.  They both had the surgery in the past 6 months.  People are constantly leaving "great job" and "you rock" comments and I am not impressed.  I would be very excited for them if they did it without the surgery. 

Disclaimer: I realize they had to change their eating and exercise habits after the surgery in order for it to work...good!  I also understand that they probably tried various means of losing weight before the surgery and had to meet certain criteria before they got it. 

ETA:  A couple more I just thought of:

I don't see a problem with rehoming your pet to a nice home/loving family if it isn't working out for your family or the pet (Toddlers 12-24 had a big ta-do about this earlier this week).

I think Velveeta is delicious (maybe this should be a confession, but I will sometimes cut off a chunk and eat it - DH thinks it is nasty unless it is melted).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I can't stand people who expect a hand out.

We had a lady come in our office the other day and asked us to give her cash for some "brake oil" for her vehicle. I understand that sometimes people need a hand up to get going, but why go from business to business begging for money and not asking for a job?

We literally watched her go in and out of every business that we could see. Really, lady? 

~ Cassie ~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Re: the daycare mix-up posts recently:  It would bother me if my LOs bottles were mixed up, because that shows negligence on the part of the caregivers, and that would concern me.  But if my kid drank someone else's breastmilk?  I honestly don't think I would give it a second thought.  I just don't think it would bother me.
  • Options

imageJills83:
    Disclaimer: I realize they had to change their eating and exercise habits after the surgery in order for it to work...good!  I also understand that they probably tried various means of losing weight before the surgery and had to meet certain criteria before they got it.

My thing is...a lot of people get the surgery because they think it will be easier.  Often, it's actually harder because their body can't digest things like it could before.  Plus they are thrown into a new way of life/eating.  Maybe that's better for some, but I know it's not for everyone.  Or what really irks me is when they do it and don't lose weight.  So you (your insurance) pay thousands of dollars for the surgery and you still can't live a healthy lifestyle.  Are you kidding me?

• Options

this is probably more of a vent than an UO, but why the heck do all brands of children's tylenol have to be RED and syrupy and gross? I found a dye free ibuprofen, but not acetamenophin. My medicine hating child makes a huge sticky mess every time she gets a dose. Yet somehow, the vet was able to give me pain meds for cat that is a thin clear liquid, and dissolves instantly when it just barely touches his tongue?

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagekimbo1216:

imageJills83:

My thing is...a lot of people get the surgery because they think it will be easier.  Often, it's actually harder because their body can't digest things like it could before.  Plus they are thrown into a new way of life/eating.  Maybe that's better for some, but I know it's not for everyone.  Or what really irks me is when they do it and don't lose weight.  So you (your insurance) pay thousands of dollars for the surgery and you still can't live a healthy lifestyle.  Are you kidding me?

I know someone who did it, lost a lot of weight right away, then went back to bad eating - ordering out, fast food, etc... What's the point... 

• Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

this is probably more of a vent than an UO, but why the heck do all brands of children's tylenol have to be RED and syrupy and gross? I found a dye free ibuprofen, but not acetamenophin. My medicine hating child makes a huge sticky mess every time she gets a dose. Yet somehow, the vet was able to give me pain meds for cat that is a thin clear liquid, and dissolves instantly when it just barely touches his tongue?

We have a "Little Fevers" brand acetamenophin that is dye free.  Still sticky and gross though!

• Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

Target's Up and Up is clear dye free but it's pretty syrupy and sticky... 

• Options
    good to know there are dye free options out there! Guess I haven't looked hard enough, when I've needed it it's always been a quick run bc we need it now.
  • Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

Wow! I didn't think we had anything in Canada that you don't have there! We have dye free Tylenol and white grape Advil. I got irritated with DH when he bought the red Tylenol once and sent him back out so that I wouldn't stain everything lol 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

It drives me bananas when people tag you in photos on Facebook that you are not even in.  What's the point of that?

Also, I would be one of the ones to freak out if my baby drank someone else's breastmilk at DC (not that she goes to DC, but hypothetically speaking).  It's a bodily fluid and I just don't know what that other mother is putting into her body or what her health situation is.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageJills83:

I don't find it impressive when people lose a ton of weight after gastric bypass surgery.  There are two people on my FB feed posting weekly updates on their weight loss.  They both had the surgery in the past 6 months.  People are constantly leaving "great job" and "you rock" comments and I am not impressed.  I would be very excited for them if they did it without the surgery. 

I have a friend who is a little less than 100 pounds over weight and he WANTS this surgery.  He seriously doesn't realize how dangerous it is, and how it's going to affect his lifestyle.  No more burgers and fries, nights of drinking.  I swear he thinks its a magic fix to lose the 100 pounds quickly and then he can go back to normal.  Those people struggle for the rest of their lives, it's not fun at all, but it's totally better than being dead.

Although I'm not "impressed" when people lose the weight, I would offer encouragement, positive words go a long way, and as others have said, if you still eat crap you aren't going to lose the weight.

My UO to spin off weight loss surgery.  I think that smokers and over weight people (those who got fat by their own laziness, not a medical condition) should have to pay a higher deductible for their own treatments.  Why does healthcare cover peoples self destructiveness?  You got yourself in this mess, get yourself out.

Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    I know I only have an almost 11 month old, so maybe things change when kids get older. But I just don't understand parents that let kids rule the house. I see kids every day and I constantly hear parents saying "oh he won't let me do that" or "oh he only likes juice so that's what we give him". We also have several friends that will cook multiple dinners until they find one their child will eat. It blows my mind! Your two year old should not be deciding what he or she eats and what he/she does an doesn't do. You are the parent!

I know we haven't reached a lot of this kind of stuff yet on this board, but it's coming! I've seen a few posts now and then that make me want to say - who is the parent here?? If my child is doing something inappropriate or refuses to do sometime she needs to do, then I feel it's my job as a parent to correct that behavior. Maybe I'm just a mean mom.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagecassoppea:
    I know I only have an almost 11 month old, so maybe things change when kids get older. But I just don't understand parents that let kids rule the house. I see kids every day and I constantly hear parents saying "oh he won't let me do that" or "oh he only likes juice so that's what we give him". We also have several friends that will cook multiple dinners until they find one their child will eat. It blows my mind! Your two year old should not be deciding what he or she eats and what he/she does an doesn't do. You are the parent!

I know we haven't reached a lot of this kind of stuff yet on this board, but it's coming! I've seen a few posts now and then that make me want to say - who is the parent here?? If my child is doing something inappropriate or refuses to do sometime she needs to do, then I feel it's my job as a parent to correct that behavior. Maybe I'm just a mean mom.

No, I fully agree. Yes, on occasion I have given DD something different for dinner just because I know she won't eat what we're having, but for the most part it's "eat it or don't eat at all" around here. Saying "that's what he likes so that's what he gets" is stupid. My kid is almost three, I know she doesn't like certain things, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to keep trying. For instance, meat. She has never liked it. Picks it out of everything. I still give it to her though. She may change her mind one day and try it.

Oh, and earlier someone commented on Beyonce. I can't stand her. Nothing about her is appealing to me except maybe her legs because they're pretty awesome.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

@MommaG: Couldn't agree with you more. I don't go to church, but I do go to the theater sometimes, and people showing up in jeans there is just tacky. I did go to a renewal ceremony recently and there were people there in sweats. Seriously?? Oh and I don't find Beyonce very attractive either.

@butterfly: I dislike people looking for hand outs too. Get a job, it's easier and less embarrassing.

@jcsumm: I'm on the same page as you. While yes, we don't know the eating habits of the other mother, one could assume that she's not eating/drinking something she shouldn't be if she's BFing. Unless your LO has MSPI or some other allergy, I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't lose my ish over it.

@cassoppea: Could not agree with you more! It drives me batty when they say "oh she won't eat this" or "he won't eat that" or "he cries unless I'm holding him." Parent your child. They will appreciate you for it and be better people because of it.

About the bypass surgery: I agree that it's no great shakes for you to lose weight after physically being unable to shovel as much food in your pie hole as you previously were able. I think words of encouragement are fine, but wouldn't go beyond that. I think it's ridiculous how many people get the surgery and balloon right back up. And I agree with mamabear that people who make unhealthy life choices should pay higher premiums than people who make healthy ones. In (I think) Japan, if your waistline is bigger than x" as a man or a woman, you pay higher premiums for your insurance. Seems fair to me!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

Little Fevers brand has one that is dye free and tastes like mixed berries I think.  This is what I give to DS as I have had bad experiences with meds with dyes from SD. 

• Options
    Some peoples' siggys stop and make me wonder sometimes...like why that background...etc.
    Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
  • Options
    imageM&M227:
    imageCarlaAndJames:

Target's Up and Up is clear dye free but it's pretty syrupy and sticky... 

This, but we really like the Pedia Care, dye free acetemetaphin.  Its thicker than the Little Fevers, but  not super syrupy.   

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• Options
    imagecassoppea:

I totally agree. Last night at bio lab I was talking to a father about cereal (I have no idea how we got onto that topic) and he was saying how his kids refuse to eat anything but Lucky Charms and Coco Puffs. They just won't eat the Cheerios. I was thinking, your kids are toddlers, I seriously doubt the kids can get their own cereal from the cupboard or the store. Just don't give your kids junk if you don't want them to eat it.  

• Options
    klvklv member

DH and I wet just having the conversation the other day about kids who will only drink juice and eat sugar filled cereals. Easy solution.....DON'T BUY IT! If its not in the house then they will have to eat/drink something else. 

When I was a kid, we would go camping for a week in the summer. That week, my sister and I could each pick a box of whatever cereal we wanted. The other 51 weeks of the year it was the healthy stuff.

I think this conversation also leads into the super morbid obese/ bariateic surgery argument. How much do you want to bet that those people got whatever they wanted as kids? 

• Options
    These posts are getting me all riled up again, in regards to child obesity.  When I see an overweight kid, and the parent says something like "He only likes Lucky Charms, or he doesn't like vegetables," I get enraged.  Parent and care for your child.  They aren't driving themselves to the store and buying junk food.  Don't be an enabler.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagesoontobe05:
    imagecassoppea:

No, I fully agree. Yes, on occasion I have given DD something different for dinner just because I know she won't eat what we're having, but for the most part it's "eat it or don't eat at all" around here. Saying "that's what he likes so that's what he gets" is stupid. My kid is almost three, I know she doesn't like certain things, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to keep trying. For instance, meat. She has never liked it. Picks it out of everything. I still give it to her though. She may change her mind one day and try it.

Oh, and earlier someone commented on Beyonce. I can't stand her. Nothing about her is appealing to me except maybe her legs because they're pretty awesome.  

That's how it is around here at dinner.  Lunch and breakfast I don't push the issue, since he has a wide range of fairly healthy stuff he'll eat.  But when I cook dinner (five/six nights a week), he has to at least TRY what's put in front of him before I'll make him something else.  My kid is the kid that rarely will try something he doesn't recognize, so a lot of those nights he goes to bed with some fruit or veggies in his belly, and that's it.  He hates just about all types of protein but dairy, and he's not eating cottage cheese every single night for dinner.  You'd think he'd wake up starving the next morning, but no, he'll be up for an hour or two before I remind him that it's time for breakfast.  Weird.  I'm the parent now, and although I remember feeling powerless and like the adults had all the "fun" because they "made the rules" when I was a kid, I see the great responsibility we have towards these little people.  Giving in to their every whim (food related or not) doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I hate chain letters! Maybe that is a popular opinion, but I hate them.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
  • Options
    MrsIMrsI member
    imageCarlaAndJames:

I believe BRU brand has a dye-free version.  I have one but can't remember from where, but am 90% sure its BRU.

• Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

I get dye free cherry acetaminophen at target. Its by Up&Up.

ETA: I obviously didn't read all the posts before posting. I just got excited because I knew where to get dye free acetaminophen!  Big Smile

• Options
    MrsIMrsI member

I am a perschool teacher and it also drives me batty when parents say their kids wouldn't let them do something.  YOU are the parent. 

We had a child wearing shorts in 50 degree weather and when we asked the mom to please send pants her response was her DD would only wear the shorts.

We have girls come in without having their har brushed because they didn't want it brushed today.

Kids in jammies because they didn't want to get dressed.

No coats because they didn't want one.

The list goes on.  Parent your child, I never fought my mom on issues like this because I knew there was no other option.  I did what she said and that was that.  3 year olds should not be controlling your house!

• Options
    klvklv member
    I am taking Hannah out to our favorite restaraunt tonight to play trivia. Since it gets over past her bed time, I will prob put her in PJs before we leave the house so I won't have to change her when we get home.
  • Options
    imageMrsI:

I am a perschool teacher and it also drives me batty when parents say their kids wouldn't let them do something.  YOU are the parent. 

We had a child wearing shorts in 50 degree weather and when we asked the mom to please send pants her response was her DD would only wear the shorts.

We have girls come in without having their har brushed because they didn't want it brushed today.

The list goes on.  Parent your child, I never fought my mom on issues like this because I knew there was no other option.  I did what she said and that was that.  3 year olds should not be controlling your house!

I guess my UO is that if my 3 year old wants to go out with her hair unbrushed and in pajamas, I don't think that I would really care.

• Options
    imageMrsI:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    imagejcsumm0:
    imageMrsI:

I guess my UO is that if my 3 year old wants to go out with her hair unbrushed and in pajamas, I don't think that I would really care.

Totally this.  Not worth the fight with my toddler.  Today we wore a dress with rain boots.  I love the creativity and giving her choices. 

• Options
    imagecrunchymama11:

I'm with you. It's best to pick your battles, and clothes aren't one of them, IMO. Healthy food- yes. Showing respect and kindness- yes. Clothes- no. I am also a PS teacher, and whenever one of my parents had the issue of clothes, I always said to just forget it. If the kid gets cold because they are wearing shorts, then they can change into pants. NBD. They learn that lesson pretty quickly!

I completely agree that children need boundaries and need to know who's in charge, but children also have to have opportunities to make good and bad decisions. Parents do need to give their kids some control over what the kid does, or everything turns into a huge battle of wills.

Yes 

• Options
    imagehepcats:
    imagecrunchymama11:

I'm with you. It's best to pick your battles, and clothes aren't one of them, IMO. Healthy food- yes. Showing respect and kindness- yes. Clothes- no. I am also a PS teacher, and whenever one of my parents had the issue of clothes, I always said to just forget it. If the kid gets cold because they are wearing shorts, then they can change into pants. NBD. They learn that lesson pretty quickly!

I completely agree that children need boundaries and need to know who's in charge, but children also have to have opportunities to make good and bad decisions. Parents do need to give their kids some control over what the kid does, or everything turns into a huge battle of wills.

Yes 

You can give them choices like, "do you want to wear the pink pants or the red ones", not "OK wear your pj's because you don't want to get dressed". 

There is a difference between letting a child make a bad decision (like choosing mint ice cream because it's green and then realizing that they don't like mint) and parents not bothering to put of a fight (like telling them to get dressed, they say no, and you say fine).

I guess my UO is that I side eye parents who "pick their battles".  NO isn't an option in my house.  I will give choices when I feel it's appropriate, but those choices are always appropriate and something I approve of.  My friends who "pick their battles" wonder why their child doesn't clean up, has bad manners, won't get dressed or sleep in their own bed... gee, I wonder.

ETA: If it's something you will NEVER care about that's different, I'm assuming at some point you would expect your child to not go outside with PJ's on (just an example).

Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    imageMammaBear81:

I guess my UO is that I side eye parents who "pick their battles".  NO isn't an option in my house.  I will give choices when I feel it's appropriate, but those choices are always appropriate and something I approve of.  My friends who "pick their battles" wonder why their child doesn't clean up, has bad manners, won't get dressed or sleep in their own bed... gee, I wonder.

ETA: If it's something you will NEVER care about that's different, I'm assuming at some point you would expect your child to not go outside with PJ's on (just an example).

I agree, but I also don't think that going out in PJs at age 1 will necessarily lead them to a life of doing it lol. But I'm pickin' up what you're throwin' down!

• Options
    imageMammaBear81:
    imagehepcats:
    imagecrunchymama11:

Yes 

You can give them choices like, "do you want to wear the pink pants or the red ones", not "OK wear your pj's because you don't want to get dressed". 

There is a difference between letting a child make a bad decision (like choosing mint ice cream because it's green and then realizing that they don't like mint) and parents not bothering to put of a fight (like telling them to get dressed, they say no, and you say fine).

The choices part of your parenting style seems to be right out of a book I'm reading that a June bumpie recommended - Love and Logic Magic. I definitely like the ideas in the book and hope to adopt that parenting style. I wish it had more suggestions for this age group. I haven't finished reading, so maybe I'll find more useful stuff. 

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Options

I read a blog once where a mom basically told her kids she had 4 rules for clothes - it must cover all your privates, it must be appropriate for the weather, it must be appropriate for the location, (and something else similar that I can't think of off the top of my head). But as long as the kids followed those rules they could pick whatever they wanted. I like that. I'm the mama and I say no bathing suit at a Christmas party. But...it's not hurting anyone if you want to wear your rain boots and tutu to a birthday party. 

I do think picking your battles is a good thing...if you're consistent about the battles you pick. If you decide you're going to put your firm down at first, you can't change your mind when throw a fit and decide it's not a battle worth fighting. But trying to control and nitpick every little thing they do is spending a lot of time/energy fighting battles that just aren't important.  

• Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

I read a blog once where a mom basically told her kids she had 4 rules for clothes - it must cover all your privates, it must be appropriate for the weather, it must be appropriate for the location, (and something else similar that I can't think of off the top of my head). But as long as the kids followed those rules they could pick whatever they wanted. I like that. I'm the mama and I say no bathing suit at a Christmas party. But...it's not hurting anyone if you want to wear your rain boots and tutu to a birthday party. 

I do think picking your battles is a good thing...if you're consistent about the battles you pick. If you decide you're going to put your firm down at first, you can't change your mind when throw a fit and decide it's not a battle worth fighting. But trying to control and nitpick every little thing they do is spending a lot of time/energy fighting battles that just aren't important.  

Yes the blog philosophy and Yes your explanation of how battle picking needs to be consistent.  I think there's nothing wring with picking your battles...as long as you pick the important ones, and stick with those ones. 

~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with picking your battles and I guess everyone has different opinions on what is acceptable to them.  I just don't believe that going to school in pajamas or shorts in the winter is acceptable to me.  I think you do need to give your child some decision making abilities, when appropriate.  Like what MamaBear said - let them choose between pants, or choose a flavor of ice cream.  But obviously if the decision involves something that is inappropriate, like wearing shorts in 30 degree weather, then I'm going to have to veto that decision.  I also think there are ways to do it without saying No all the time. 

On the other extreme, my neighbors don't let their kids move without dictating what they are doing.  They wonder why their kids never listen.  Their life is so rule oriented that they can't breathe, so they just don't listen anymore.  So I think balance is important.

I see kids every day, from homes with all different parenting styles.  I can usually tell as soon as they walk into my office exactly how they are going to act - just from how they are dressed and how they look.  I think you can guess how the kids in pajamas behave...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"