Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Early-Intervention programs

I'm hoping that one of you well informed mommas can help me find some information with for a co-worker. Here is the back story:
My co-worker's daughter and husband have custody of their nephew. The boy is adopted, and shortly before the adoption was finalized, adoptive mother passed away. The little boy is, for lack of a more PC term, a crack baby. The biological mother is now in prison and due to a lack of knowledge/resources, they never sought help from early intervention. The little boy is now 4 and is exhibiting a large number of developmental delays; lack of impulse control, object obsession, destructive outbursts, delayed language development, etc. The family has very limited financial resources, and because he is over the age of 3 he no longer qualifies for EI. Does anyone have any suggestions of where they could turn for diagnosis and/or support? Their pediatrician has not been any help. They live in TX near the DFW metroplex if that helps. Thank you in advance!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Early-Intervention programs

• Options
    In NY once the child is past the age of 3 and no longer qualifies for EI, they go into a state program called CPSE.  I don't know if that is what it is called in every state, but your co-worker can probably call EI and ask them.
  • Options

At age 3 they turn over to the school system.  If they request an evaluation the school has 60 days to provide a formal evaluation.

Just remember, since he's past early intervention the only assistance they're going to provide is educational-based.

Physical therapy will be based around sitting at a school desk, occupational therapy around holding pencils, etc.  

If they call their local school district they should be able to direct them with a name and phone number of who to contact. 

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageToastieSimons:

At age 3 they turn over to the school system.  If they request an evaluation the school has 60 days to provide a formal evaluation.

Just remember, since he's past early intervention the only assistance they're going to provide is educational-based.

Physical therapy will be based around sitting at a school desk, occupational therapy around holding pencils, etc.  

If they call their local school district they should be able to direct them with a name and phone number of who to contact. 

This is not true. My son is over 3 still gets services for speech and OT.  The OT is for a short attention span and hyperactivity.  The therapy exercises he does are in a room with a ball pit, rock climbing wall and involve board games, balls, puzzles, etc. I've already spoken to the public school he will be going to for kindergarten next year and they have a similar enviroment for OT.

• Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate it. I'll pass the information along.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"