VBAC
Options

My C-section & out of hospital VBAC story (Extremely long)

I never would have explored an out of hospital birth if I had not had a C-section so I couldn't leave out that part out...This is really long, you have been warned :-)

Prelude

After learning we were expecting our first child we selected an O.B. who practiced at a well-respected hospital that boasted ocean view maternity suites and filet mignon celebration dinners. We signed up for all of the hospital classes and read the mainstream books. We wanted to do everything right.

At our first appointment we were happy with the doctor. She was perky, easy to talk to, and didn't rush the appointment. She made a comment or two about needing to keep a close eye on the size of our baby throughout the pregnancy. I wasn't surprised. DH is 6ft 4, 200 something pounds and I clock in at 5ft and 95 pounds.

I measured ahead the entire pregnancy and regular ultrasounds kept confirming that we were expecting a ?big baby?. DH was 10 pounds at birth. I had heard the horror stories.

I had an ultrasound the day before I went into labor. When I arrived at the hospital I was greeted by my doctor who said the ultrasound revealed the baby was likely well over 9lbs and that since I was in active labor we needed to get baby out now and that other scheduled patients were being bumped because this was an emergency. Fetal Macrosomia, shoulder dystopia, baby's safety, consent forms, blah blah blah, it happened so quick.

Less than an hour later our baby girl arrived. We were overjoyed that our team green baby was a girl. "It's a Harper, It's a Harper!" were the first words out of my mouth. "How big is she? How big is she?" we're the next. But no one would answer me. Finally the doctor came around the curtain and said "remember how those ultrasounds can be wrong??

Our daughter weighed 7lbs 14oz. I had a long and miserable recovery. It was demoralizing to be a new mom and unable to take care of myself let alone a newborn. A year later I asked my OB about a future VBAC. After my pelvic exam she said ?I don't think a vaginal birth is for you, your pelvis is too small".

No hospital?

When we found out we were expecting our second child I had spent months researching VBAC and my options. One local hospital was VBAC friendly but the practice had 16 doctors and I felt like I would be a walking target for a repeat cesarean. I asked my husband to go tour a birth center with me. "No hospital?" he asked. "No hospital" I replied. "No drugs?" he asked. "I guess not." I replied, still not completely sold on that aspect of the plan.

I received great care at the birth center. They thought my old O.B. was nuts and had no concerns about the baby's size or my ability to have a vaginal birth. They didn't request any growth ultra sounds, there was no fear mongering, and there was nothing wrong with me.

We took Bradley classes, I ate better, I meditated, I did the exercises, saw a pre-natal chiropractor weekly after 28weeks, read natural birth books, watched natural birth videos, and did all of the other right things.

You should have your baby this weekend

I went to my 37.5 week appointment on Thursday April 5th. I had been having light menstrual cramping that week, some periods of increased pressure in the evenings, and had lost my plug that morning. My MW offered a cervical exam and I was 2cm dilated and 80% effaced. The baby was back to posterior and despite my efforts would only turn back and forth from ROP to ROT. She said "you should have your baby this weekend because I'm on call and I haven't been to a birth in a few weeks.? We joked about the full moon that was occurring over the weekend and how I couldn't have a baby that  weekend because the next day was my last day of work and I wanted a few days off. We also discussed that although things were favorable for labor I could remain pregnant for a few more weeks.

Babe! My water broke!

I woke up at 6:34 am on Friday the 6th needing to pee. I barely made it to the tile before the big warm gush came. I was in disbelief, this wasn't the plan, and I had stuff to do. I yelled out to my husband "Babe! My water broke! Grab the paging instructions!?

We need you in active labor by 6:30am tomorrow morning

When the MW called me we confirmed by bag had broken with the amniator. I was having mild contractions at about 6-10 minutes apart. The MW asked me to eat breakfast, take a shower, and let the water run over my breasts for 20 minutes and then call her back. I had a few strong contractions in the shower but things fizzled once I got out. I called the MW and was given pumping instructions.

You're going to be a big sister today!

We decided to call MIL to come pick up DD. She was so happy when DH told her "You're going to be a big sister today!? I had dreaded this moment since my BFP. I had hoped I would go into labor while DD was in school. She got picked up and I cried and cried until DH reminded me to get pumping.

Don't worry there are more things we can try

After following the pumping instructions for an hour the contractions went back to 5-6 minutes apart again but they let up shortly after. Somehow it was almost lunch time so we were told to eat and go walk. The walk brought contractions back to 5-6 minutes and I had a few that I had to stop and concentrate on relaxing to get through. Then they let up. I called the MW and she said "Don't worry there are more things we can try". I was sent back to the shower for more nipple stimulation and contractions started coming every three minutes, until I got out.

It is time to get more aggressive

After reporting back to my MW it was about 4:30pm and her tone was a bit more serious. "It is time to get more aggressive". This meant acupuncture and 25 minutes later a woman was sitting on my living room floor putting needles in my ankles and burning herbs on the needles. Again contractions picked up to 3 minutes apart but quickly went back to 6 minutes apart. I started feeling frustrated as  it had been almost 12 hours since my water broke. I wasn't at a hospital but I was on the clock. This is when the MW ordered the castor oil. DH went and got the supplies for a root beer castor oil float. It wasn't that bad.

Let's make out

An hour after the castor oil and I hadn't as much as passed gas. I turned down the lights and turned off the TV. DH asked what I was doing and I said "Let's make out!? It was the only thing on our Bradley class hand out we hadn't tried. So we gave it a shot. Five minutes later I was in castor oil agony. 5 bowel movements and 2 puking episodes later our doula arrived. The MW was heading to the birth center to meet us and I was having a tough time managing the contractions on the toilet, every 3 minutes. It hurt to sit through them but I wasn't sure I was done going to the bathroom so every time I had a contraction DH or the doula would lift me off the toilet to standing so I could get through the contraction. I decided to brave getting to the car but ended up having a contraction outside. I was vocalizing and sitting on my ball in the street when a neighbor saw us and rushed over. Next thing you know our friendly neighbor was kneeling beside me telling me that this was such a beautiful moment. I shut my eyes tightly and continued to moan hoping he would go away. Instead he put his arm on me and told me he was praying for me. We didn't know what to do but thankfully he left and I got in the car for the 2 minute ride to the birth center.

5 centimeters

We arrived to the birth center around 10pm and after checking me the MW said "Do you want to know where you are at or should I just tell you that you are doing awesome?" I knew what this meant and told her to tell me the number which was 5 centimeters. I was too distracted by the intensity of the contractions to worry about dilation. The MW said I was having strong contractions and that they were turning contractions due to the baby being OP. She wanted things to progress further before I got in the tub and things were very intense. After a while of contracting at the center in various positions the MW manually turned the baby 45 degrees from ROP to ROT. It hurt like hell but I wasn't freaked out. Finally I was able to move to the tub.

When is transition?

The tub did not bring the great sense of relief I expected so DH put on our birth music which was the Jimmy Cliff soundtrack to the film The Harder They Come. We labored and listened to the reggae tracks we had meditated to throughout the pregnancy. This was my favorite part of the laboring process and i felt very connected to DH. I tried to visualize The Black River but at this point visualizations were useless so I just sang along to the songs in my head. I was checked and determined to be at about 8 cms. I asked "When is transition?? The MW laughed and replied "This is transition!? I was confused and mumbled "But I'm not even acting that crazy". The MW laughed again, "What do you mean?" she asked. I said "Like the lady in the video?the MW in Mexico who had the water birth and had her eyes rolled in the back of her head". There was more laughing. I never expected there to be anything funny about transition. I was instructed to get out of the tub to try and move things along. The MW helped stretch my cervix after a bit so I could start pushing and this is where things get fuzzy.

I got back in the tub, was told baby was anterior,  and started pushing and the birth assistants started getting out their equipment to welcome baby. I couldn't believe that after a slow start things had picked up so fast and we would be meeting our baby soon. It seemed too easy. I was told this was at about 2:00am on the 7th. The following happened but I don't recall the order. Pushing on my side, on hands and knees, in knees to chest, squatting, standing, on the toilet, a catheter, a belly binder, breast pumping while pushing, hip squeezes, more pushing, lots more pushing, a rebozo, belly lifts, and more pushing. The contractions were strong and I pushed hard. The contractions came in pairs. The first contraction was long and I was able to push about 5 times before it went away and then another small contraction would follow about 20 seconds behind and I'd get a another push or two in. My contraction pattern stayed the same throughout the pushing stage and the predictability helped me cope. I could feel my baby's head about a quarter of an inch inside if myself and was told that they could see the head. I kept pushing.

Bring in the Wolf

My husband says this when things got "Pulp Fiction". I started hearing whispers and the MW had left the room a few times. I heard the head MW's/owner of the center name mentioned as well as the name of their consulting O.B. I was told that the head MW was called in and they thought I was tired and wanted to me to stop pushing because they were afraid I wouldn't be able to keep going. I  was falling asleep in between pushes but I wasn't tired! I never felt like quitting. Not pushing was horrendous. I tried but ended up pushing half the time.

The head MW arrived. DH now calls her The Wolf. She observed more pushing and then wanted to assess the baby's position. She had her hand inside of me for a long time. I didn't know what she was doing but it hurt. DH said her focus was really intense.

Later I found out that shortly before the 2nd Midwife arrived DH stepped out with the first Midwife to ask what was going on. The Midwife said she was getting fuzzy and that it had been a long time since I started pushing and that she wanted to make sure we did everything possible to have a safe and successful birth.

The Wolf had pushed the baby back up because the head was asynclitic and this gave the baby the opportunity to wiggle back down straight into the birth canal. It was also discovered that the baby had a nuchal hand. They didn't tell me this at the time. DH said she had her hands in there and "made room and then there was blood". So that is what was hurting. They put the belly binder on again and I went back to pushing on my side because I could not direct the pushing on hands and knees. After a while they determined this wasn't working. They did another catheter because I couldn't urinate and we needed full strength contractions.

I can squat for 20 minutes!

At this time I was asked if I had enough energy to squat. I yelled ?I can squat, I did my Bradley squats, I can squat for 20 minutes!". Things were very clear during this portion of the labor. I could tell I was running out of time. I got up between contractions and politely thanked everyone for being patient.

Even if we have to go to the hospital...

The next contraction hit and I held on to someone's hands in front of me while DH sat on the bed and held me under my arms. I said "Here we go!" and dropped to a low squat on the floor and I pushed hard. The Wolf was managing the delivery and said "One way or the other the baby is coming out this way even if we have to go to the hospital to get you some help". There was no way I was going to let them put me in a car for 20 minutes. The next contraction came and they had me feel the head. They said I was at +3. I asked "+4 is out right?!?  At this point I yelled "Just come out!!!? I was getting pissed? I do my best work when I'm pissed. Another contraction came and I pushed really hard and they told me to open my eyes and look in to the mirror. DH says they had me slow down to avoid tearing but I don't remember. I didn't feel the ring of fire but then it happened... The baby came out. I sat down on the floor and held our baby. They pulled the cord back and I announced it was a girl. I was in total shock. I couldn't believe that she came out or that I had done it.

What time is it??

DH and our doula helped lift me up on to the bed. The lights came on and there were twice as many people in the room as I had thought and I was confused. I asked "What time is it??? "Mama it is 7:25am! You pushed for five and a half hours!? the Midwife exclaimed. "I did?" was about all I could muster back. "You did, you did it!" I was told. ?And I didn't have to go the hospital!" I said, still in disbelief. The small crowd cheered, seriously with applause and all.

How big is she?

I got a good look at the baby on my chest that didn't look too tiny. I never measured ahead and assumed that because DD was 7lbs 14oz at 40 weeks that at 37 weeks and five days this baby would be quite a bit smaller. Wrong! My VBAC baby was 8lbs 6oz, 8oz bigger than my first.  We laughed at the irony and again were in disbelief.

It turns out things took so long that they had to call in a new team of birth assistants when the Wolf arrived but then baby came so everyone was still there. My water had broken 25 hours beforehand but despite the long labor and extended pushing phase baby girl's heart rate never wavered nor did my blood pressure or my temperature. The baby's position and her little hand were the culprits. Once The Wolf corrected that problem it took less than 10 minutes to push the baby out.

I'm still a bit baffled by the whole thing. It was, despite everything, easier than I expected. It was hard work but I never felt like giving up. There was no way I was going back to that hospital. In the end I had an amazing birth and my recovery is of another planet.  I did have some tearing but it is a joke compared to abdominal surgery. I'm so grateful for the care I received and for the opportunity to do everything possible to avoid a RCS.

This never would have happened in a hospital.

Here she is, our little chubby cherub. Dahlia River :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: My C-section & out of hospital VBAC story (Extremely long)

• Options

Love, love,  love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love!

GREAT job mama you are a stud

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options

You are awesome!  I'm so impressed with your dedication and committment to find a better way - not to mention pushing for 5 hours!?  She's cute as a button too!  Here's to a speedy recovery -

another VBAC/April mom :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love your story! It is amazing what our bodies are capable of and in fact, made for! You're a bad azz mama!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations!  This story is awesome, you were awesome and your birth team was awesome!  Three big hurrahs for birth attendants that know how to help a slow labor and minor complications without major interventions!  Your baby girl is beautiful!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    Yeah totally just cried through this.  You are awesome lady!  Seriously, this is such an inspiration and I'm so happy for you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    you are amazing, and your daughter is amazing too!  congratulations :)
  • Options
    You are amazing! What a wonderful experience with such experienced help! Congratulations!

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• Options
    Yay! That's a great birth story, and totally made me tear up (and I'm not one to get emotional over birth stories)! Congrats again, and she looks sooo squishable!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Congrats Momma! Your story is so inspirational, I hope to be as strong and determined as you were with my HBAC. Both your girls are so gorgeous!
  • Options
    Awesome birth story!  So great:-)  And Adorable baby!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    What an amazing story! Congratulations to you!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Awesome birth story.  Congrats on your new daughter!
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Options
    Congratulations!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    YAY! Congrats and I cannot get enough of those cheeks.  So cute.
  • Options
    Congratulations!!! Great story and your baby is so darn cute!  Love those cheeks!
  • Options

Congratulations!!!  What a wonderful and amazing story. 

I love your comment "I do my best work when I'm pissed."

• Options
    Thank you for sharing such intimate details of your VBAC <3  You did it!  So happy for you and your family, and Dahlia is adorable to say the least!  Congratulations, and enjoy this time with your new sweet baby girl <3

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    skioskio member

I'm so glad I came here and read this. You are an inspiration, and I don't even know you. Congratulations!

I'm currently researching what I want to do with my next birth (TTC this summer), because I had an unplanned c/s with DD and have had a lot of difficult times dealing with that emotionally. I thought I had decided on doing a hospital birth with extra support from a Doula, but you made me more confident in trying a birthing center. Your midwives sound amazing, and as much as I like my OB, I don't think she would have done half the things your midwife did to get you through it. I'm amazed and truly inspired. Thank you!

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

You are my hero! My first was asynclitic, said to be a 9+lb baby and he was 6#15. I was sooo devastated. You give me hope.

Do you have a blog? Because you are one of the best writers ever. *hugs* I am so so so proud of you! I'm so glad I read this because it gives me hope!!

• Options
    Oh my gosh, you ladies are going to make me cry. Your responses are really touching. Thank you so much! I was 20 minutes away from being sent to the hospital for vacuum assistance. My providers were exceptional but luck counts a great deal as well. Baby girl was 9lbs 14oz two days after her due date and I believe the "wolf" when she says it likely wouldn't have happened if I had gone to my due date. Best of luck to all the VBAC hopefuls.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Congrats and how inspiring!!!  Way to go, mama!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Options

WONDERFUL story! I "know" you from the AP board, and it is great to read your birth story! You are in inspiration!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"