Preemies

my expectations on their homecoming...

i am so proud of my two babies...they are making great progress in the NICU!  they are feeders and growers and are still in incubators.  they are current 34 weeks plus 3 days. 

Michael is 3 lbs 12 oz and is taking 2 bottles a day out of 8 feedings. Madison is 2 lbs 14 oz and is not yet taking bottles but they said any day now since she is 34 weeks gestation.

i always ask the nurses questions but i guess the question I never ask is when do you think they may come home bc i feel like it's an unknown and i feel weird asking...i am thinking if i ask i may get a look like i have ten heads! maybe i am being silly.   i know each baby is different and they probably can't even answer themselves but I guess I am having a hard time with understanding what i should expect.   

did any of you have a hard time with this and how did you approach getting more info on the coming home criteria? TIA! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: my expectations on their homecoming...

• We just asked the NICU nurses what the milestones were that they had to reach before they could come home.  My guys were just feeders and growers- they spent 17 days in the NICU.  By day 14 they were taking all their feeds by bottle and had their NG tubes removed the next day (Nicholas actually removed his by himself).  The policy at my NICU was they had to have the NG tube removed for 2 days before discharge.
  • imagechickaboo1974:
    We just asked the NICU nurses what the milestones were that they had to reach before they could come home.  My guys were just feeders and growers- they spent 17 days in the NICU.  By day 14 they were taking all their feeds by bottle and had their NG tubes removed the next day (Nicholas actually removed his by himself).  The policy at my NICU was they had to have the NG tube removed for 2 days before discharge.

good to know!! i am hoping they increase hit amnt of bottles and start her up!  :) she already pulled out her own tube ...she may be a trouble maker bc she rolls over in her bed....lol.

• Loading the player...
  • When we first went in they said most babies are home by their due date.  That seemed like forever so I didn't ask again.  Then they said bring in a carseat he may be going home tomorrow. We so weren't ready.  I would just ask what they think.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Just ask a nurse you feel comfortable with what the babies have to do in order to come home. At our nicu, it was take all feeds by bottle, maintain temp outside of the isolette, consistently gain weight and no Apneas or Brady's that required stimulation for 5 days. Different hospitals have different requirements. Good luck!
  • ashk7ashk7 member
    I agree with pp, just ask about policies thats what I did. I also made it clear when they said anywhere between 35 weeks until term, that I was in no means holding them to what they said. Because every baby is different. Good luck and remember you are the mommy, no question is silly, never be afraid to ask! 
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • DrRxDrRx member
    I agree with PP about asking what milestones they have to reach in order to go home as opposed to when they think your particular babies will go home.  It will definitely give you some goals to look for.
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"