Adoption

Getting Ready for Foster Kids

DH and I went to PRIDE orientation last night and are so excited to start the process. We have some things for kids already when were trying to have bio kids so it is all for infants and toddlers. We have a crib and dresser as well as bottles, spoons, sippy cups etc. We will need to get a twin bed and other things like fire extinguishers, but what did you purchase and have ready for your foster kids and what kinds of modifications did you make to your home? We said our preference is 0-5 but we all know that doesn't mean that those are the only ages that will be placed in our homes. Thank you ladies!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Getting Ready for Foster Kids

• Gear isn't really that important, but you'll need to have the beds in place and all of the safety stuff done. We made sure we had a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, working fire alarms, outlet plugs, baby locks, and chemicals out of reach. I also typed up a list of important phone numbers (police, poison control, hospital etc) and a fire escape plan. I was very anxious about ours but it really ended up being no big deal. Good Luck!

Mommy to DS#1 7/1/04 and DS#2 6/15/07
    M/C 2/16/10 at 9wks 5 days~ D&C 2/18/10
    BFP#4 5/17/11 C/P.    
    BFP#5 11/30/12 Surprise! DS#3 born 7/29/13

• Ditto everything the PP said.  We prefer infant to 4 year old.  So I have two outfits in every size from newborn to 5T.  This is definitely on the crazy side of things, but I just didn't want to have to immediately run out to the store if the child did not have any possessions when they were placed with us.  Also, many of the clothes were given to us or we bought at consignment sales.

I would also look into carseats.  I know this varies from state to state oh whether you need one before your placement.  But I would at least know which one fits in your car and which one you'd prefer. 

I can't thinking of anything else really.  But if you want to check out my blog it is basically about us preparing for our future foster children.  RIght now I think we have done all of the preperation possible... we are just waiting for "the call".

• Loading the player...
  • imageelissaann26:

Ditto everything the PP said.  We prefer infant to 4 year old.  So I have two outfits in every size from newborn to 5T.  This is definitely on the crazy side of things, but I just didn't want to have to immediately run out to the store if the child did not have any possessions when they were placed with us.  Also, many of the clothes were given to us or we bought at consignment sales.

I would also look into carseats.  I know this varies from state to state oh whether you need one before your placement.  But I would at least know which one fits in your car and which one you'd prefer. 

I can't thinking of anything else really.  But if you want to check out my blog it is basically about us preparing for our future foster children.  RIght now I think we have done all of the preperation possible... we are just waiting for "the call".

We did similar--I got hand me downs from friends.  

The most important thing is to have a friend who will go to the store for you at midnight during those first few days.  

Mama Monica has some great lists on noisycolorfullively blog, and I have some room pics on mine.  But, we've gotten one long-term and two emergency placements--and been fine.  A few books, a ball & some bubbles, coloring book. 

And, even if you are not big TV people, I recommend a (foster kid safe) movie to keep on hand.  It can be helpful on the first days when they are either a)so used to TV or b)need some familiarity to calm down. Sesame Street, Dora, etc.

• We were required to have our bedding set up.  We have a crib that converts to a toddler bed, and we have a queen size bed. We have toys (mostly all given to us) for a variety of ages.   Our age range is 0-8.  I have clothes from preemie all the way to size 7 (all given to me).  We also have a dresser, a kitchen booster seat, a potty, bibs, and a carseat plus two car booster seats.  We are licensed as of last month, but we're moving so they've kind of put us on hold until we move.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• I am so excited for you!  I can easily remember being right where you are at, figuring out all the stuff we would need and should get before we had kids... What the ladies have said above is spot on!  Before we said yes to our current children, we had the bed, carseats, some bottles, sippy cups, toys, diapers of every size, and clothing - a few outfits in every size we anticipated the kids might wear.  We also had a few extras like a swing, exersaucer, high chair, baby carrier (for wearing the kids), etc.  Like you, we also had collected many things over the many years of TTC.  But really we didn't have everything "ready" until we actually got the call... but it all worked out great!

If you don't really know what you need yet, and there are things you won't know you need until the kids are actually in your home, I would suggest setting money aside now for that time.  I know we are on a very tight budget and having some money set aside from before has been so nice now so when we see some board books at the store we can actually pick them up without thinking of how it will affect the budget... in my mind, the money we set aside is already gone, now we just get to figure out how to spend it on stuff for the kids.

One modification we are making to our home is to install a permanent "baby gate" made out of a half door.   We found that with the cats not being sure of the kids, it makes it easier for them to have a place to get away and also to keep our little ones safe.  It means we don't have to close off a door completely and potentially trap a kitty, but they still have an away place.  Otherwise, our house was approved as is (surprisingly). 

I know this is long, but I would love to answer other questions you have if I can :)  

Foster parents turned adoptive parents :)
    Adoptive daughter born 08/07/13... growing so fast
    BM due again end of March 2015 so any day!
    Bloggy blog
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cristine - thanks for the idea for the list of phone numbers. I think in our application, we need to include emergency plans of some sort but it's a great reminder. Elissaanne - I have definitely considered buying/asking for some clothing and thanks for your blog. Eratmama - I just bought some coloring books today :) and we have some movies. Thanks for the blogs. Jenna- we definitely need to build up the toy collection. Cadgirl - we definitely have baby stuff (swing, jumperoo, baby carriers, etc.) but we do need to install baby gates at the top and bottom of the stairs. You may be hearing back from me along the way too :) thanks Marshmallow - good luck with your class next week! Hopefully we can bounce ideas and things off each other. If you ladies have any other ideas, lists etc please keep posting. Thanks again!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"