LGBT Parenting
Options

What ?s should I ask? Re:foster social worker

Our "home-finder" is coming for a visit tomorrow to take a quick look at the house and give us more information on the process. I feel like I should have a list of questions, but I'm so overwhelmed right now, I can't think of a thing!  Help?  Thanks :)

Re: What ?s should I ask? Re:foster social worker

• Options
    She will likely answer your questions before you ask :-) I would probably ask how they match. Is it based on geography? In our county they try to place within the city of detention first and move out from there. You can ask if they will call you for all placements;adoptive,short -term or long term.You can also ask how busy they have been lately. A lot of empty homes etc. It generally goes in waves, more detentions when school starts as teachers spot issues,that kind of thing.I am forgetting something...i will try to remember and post again.Good luck!!
  • Options
    Omg! Please excuse the scary formatting. I can't figure out why paragraphs don't show up when I post from the Kindle. Rude!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you working with an agency or with the county?

These are questions I've asked:

What kind of support is offered to the foster parents?

Who supervises the visitations, FP or SW?

Will you need to put an emergency kit together? (We needed an earthquake kit)

If you are working with an agency, ask how the county places children with them, some counties give theharder to place kids (medical cases/severe behavioral cases/etc) to the agencies.  This isn't always the case but it's good to know. 

If you are taking in babies and plan to cloth diaper, ask what their policy is on that.  We are the only CDing family with our agency and it raised eyebrows for a moment but I was able to explain how beneficial it is and they gave us the go ahead.

• Options
    Thanks guys!  Great questions.  I'll let you know how the meeting goes.  Nervously excited!!
  • Options
    good luck!!! very exciting!
  • Options

imagectbride08:
    good luck!!! very exciting!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"