Baby Showers
Options

Shower for SIL - freaking out

So SILs family is having a shower. When my mom found out SIL was pregnant, she immediately blurted "and Ill throw a shower for you here too!" I wasnt thrilled because my mom did it for selfish reasons (so she doesnt have to travel up to the other shower). The other shower will be SILs family, this one will be friends so its difderent people. Mom cant have it at her house for various reasons (i can go into them if people want to know), then my dad got sick and my mom is taking care of him so now the entire thing has pretty much been foisted on me, which is exactly what I knew would happen (even if dad wasnt sick,my mom would have gradually 'delegated' everything to me). Then SIL says she has a list of 20 people to invite, which i didnt expect since its a lot more than her bachelorette party. I was going to have it at my house to lower costs but my house can seat about 12. I do live on a farm so people can spill onto the porch which seats another five. That means I have to have the shower earlier before it gets hot, like June 9. SIL is due August 30. Is this too early? I dont know where to have it if not at my house. I cant afford to have it at a venue and foot the food bill for 20 freaking people. Im so stressed and annoyed about being put in thia position but she was promised a shower and I dont have the heart to say "no can do". Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated because im panicking a little.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shower for SIL - freaking out

• Options

Tell your SIL she can either have a shower for 12 people or she can have it in early June.  Throwing a shower shouldn't mean spending more than you can afford.

Good luck! 

• Options

First of all, don't freak out. As far as the guest list goes, if you invite 20, I bet 15ish will actually come. What is your budget? You can save money on invitations by doing an e-vite instead of mailed invitations. You can also have the shower at 2pm, so you won't have to serve a meal. Just have a nice cake, a veggie tray, chips and salsa and other snack foods.

You can also have inexpensive activities. At one shower I hosted, we played Mad Libs. As each guest arrived, I asked them for a noun/verb/adjective and MTB read aloud the story before opening gifts. You can definitely google and find some inexpensive games.

Do you have a Dollar Tree nearby? They have really cute baby shower decorations - I bought plates, cups, napkins, banners, balloons, etc from there and the decorations were adorable!

This is totally do-able!

Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Update already! Just got the guest list and there are 17 people inclucing SIL, mom and myself. So if I can seat 12 indoors, 5 on the porch assuming everyone comes and have it June 9th with a late August due date, does all this sound ok? Anything not good? Date? Or space stuff?
  • Options
    imageFemShep:

Tell your SIL she can either have a shower for 12 people or she can have it in early June.  Throwing a shower shouldn't mean spending more than you can afford.

This.  And as the other person said, probably all 20 won't show anyhow.

Second - learn to tell your mom "no".  I realize you aren't going to do that over THIS situation, but clearly you're not surprised by the turn of events, so this isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Sorry, i should clarify. I have the budget to MAKE food. I host a lot of smaller things at my house I have plenty for all that. I just can't foot a restaurant bill for everyone plus a room rental fee if its not at my house. SIL offered to have it at her house but Im pretty sure thats frowned upon, plus I would feel bad.
  • Options

I know this seems overwhelming but it won't be so bad.  I would maybe try to recruit a friend or two to help with food if your mom can't do it.

Have a brunch shower on June 9th, it's not too early.  Not everyone has to have a seat.  When you eat or when you open presents some of the younger people (not Grandma types) can sit on the floor.

Here's a possible menu:

French toast bake (2 in 9x13 pans)

Quiche (3 or 4 different ones in pie plates)

mixed greens w/toasted almonds, raspberries, goat cheese and raspberry viniagrette

mini muffins & croissants (buy these)

chicken salad or a ham (for sandwiches on the croissants) - buy the chicken salad from your deli

fruit salad or sliced watermelon, cantelope, pineapple and bunches of grapes

cake or cupcakes

cutout cookie or cake pop for favor if you are doing one

drinks - coffee, tea, orange juice, champagne, wine, water

decor - fresh flowers, balloons, coordinating plates, napkins, cups

Delegate the chicken salad/ham, muffins/croissants, cake/cupcakes and favors to your mom.  She can order, pick up and pay for them.

Good luck to you!

Cricket's Cadence
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:
    imageFemShep:

This.  And as the other person said, probably all 20 won't show anyhow.

Second - learn to tell your mom "no".  I realize you aren't going to do that over THIS situation, but clearly you're not surprised by the turn of events, so this isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened. 

I was planning to. Honest! But then my dad went to the ICU, he almost died, he has been in a long term place recovering and he is coming home this Saturday so she will be his primary caregiver. I was honestly going to but she has been sitting in his hospital rooms for a month and I just dont have he heart to take a stand with this added stress she has.
  • Options
    Surely someone in your family/friends has some folding chairs and/or folding tables you could borrow if you needed a few extra. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I feel a lot better. I should admit I have never thrown a shower and the only one I have been to was my own wedding shower which was really small so I feel a little overwhelmed.
  • Options

The PPs all have great suggestions.  I just want to add that you sound like a very sweet daughter/SIL to go ahead with the plans.

The date and arrangements (your house/porch) all seem fine, and it should be lovely.  Don't freak out - you will do fine.

Good Luck!

• Options
    First of all, I am due Aug. 24 and my shower is June 3 and June 16. Secondly, you can have it at SIL's house. I hosted a shower at a friend's house because she was on bed rest. And, her house was bigger and she invited 30 people!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

1. Argggggg your mom is a turd!  I'm sorry to hear about your dad.  You are very sweet to try to figure this out for your SIL.

2.  Host it at your house; June is perfect.   The other suggestion for hosting at your SIL's house is fine too... maybe give her the option!

3.  Keeping the cost down:

--Invites: buy a pack of decorative paper at Target and print the invites, or a pack of inexpensive invites to hand-write.

--Decor: some colored balloons on the stair rail & the cake will do

--Food:  You don't have to have much if you have the party at the right time!!!  2pm avoids lunch and dinner.  You can have some type of finger sandwiches for those who are hungry (chicken salad, or the walmart deli sandwich trays are DELICIOUS and inexpensive!), a relish tray, a cheese ball with crackers, the end :) Fruit can be expensive, so maybe skip that?

My secret fancy food that is cheap and to die for is to microwave goat cheese (pasteurized for SIL) with marinara sauce (I like Wolfgang puck's three cheese marinara, under $3), then garnish with fresh diced tomatoes and 'lotsa fresh chopped basil.  Serve with a spreading knife and either toast-like crackers (melbas), regular crackers, or little bread slices from the grocery (sold in a bag).  MMMMM and looks fancy and tastes expensive!  With all the extras going on, you don't really need expensive goat cheese.  Walmart also sells a red pepper goat cheese that you pop onto a plate and microwave... also delish!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options

It sounds like with the smaller guest list it is certainly do-able.  I've gone to plenty of showers that just had chairs...no tables for people.  We just all sat in a semi circle.  Those showers did not include "meals" though...more along the lines of finger food.  Wasn't a big deal.

You could also host it in the evening...maybe after the dinner hour and make it just appetizers or desserts.  I've gone to those types and it was really nice to get away from the kids and relax with some dessert and a cup of coffee.  LOL

BTW...June is not too soon if she is due in August. 

• Options
    I was due August 16th, and my family had a shower for me in early May, and I don't think it was too early. 
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"