Success after IF

? about obgyn prescribing Clomid

Were you monitored on Clomid?  If so what type of monitoring did your obgyn do?  I'm curious because I'm going to my obgyn in 2 weeks to talk about doing rounds of Clomid.  I have no idea what to expect.  My sister-in-law was perscribed Clomid by her regular doctor and had no monitoring done at all...which I thought was strange but then again I have no idea.  Anything else I should know about Clomid?  We did IVF 2 years ago but we did nothing before that...which I realize is a little backwards.  We had great IF coverage back then and we have none now so we're going try cheaper options before moving on to other more expensive options.

3/10 IVF #1 TWINS! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ? about obgyn prescribing Clomid

• I was not monitored by my obgyn when she prescribed clomid.  The only thing she did was have me come in for a progesterone test.  
  • I did two rounds of Clomid with my OBGYN. I was not monitored at all. At the time I was just beginning my IF journey and I really didn't know any better. The cycles didn't work, and I am very lucky that I didn't develop some huge cyst that went undetected. If I had it to do over again knowing what I know now I would have skipped the Clomid cycles with an OB and moved right to a RE. Good luck!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would never do a round of Clomid unmonitored.  I was monitored by our RE and I can't even imagine what might of happened, if we hadn't been.  I was on Clomid purely for timing purposes, however, as we used frozen sperm and needed to optimize our timing.  The first cycle the dr put me on 100mg and I over-responded... like, 6 mature follicles!  That cycle was cancelled, obviously, but can you imagine if I'd been unmonitored in a situation like that??  Two cycles later, we got pg with DS on 50 mg, with 2 mature follies.  This time around (also 50mg) I had 4 follies, the max my RE would let me trigger with.  2 were over 22mm and 2 were between 18 and 20.  We're having twins.  

I am a big fan of monitoring...  too many risks in not knowing what's going on in there while Clomid is at risk. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would never do a round of Clomid unmonitored.  I was monitored by our RE and I can't even imagine what might of happened, if we hadn't been.  I was on Clomid purely for timing purposes, however, as we used frozen sperm and needed to optimize our timing.  The first cycle the dr put me on 100mg and I over-responded... like, 6 mature follicles!  That cycle was cancelled, obviously, but can you imagine if I'd been unmonitored in a situation like that??  Two cycles later, we got pg with DS on 50 mg, with 2 mature follies.  This time around (also 50mg) I had 4 follies, the max my RE would let me trigger with.  2 were over 22mm and 2 were between 18 and 20.  We're having twins.  

I am a big fan of monitoring...  too many risks in not knowing what's going on in there while Clomid is at work.

• Please, never ever ever do a clomid cycle unmonitored. You really should seek out an RE to get proper treatment. Good luck.

Diagnosed PCOS & MFI-Success with IUI

• I did one unmonitored cycle with my RE.  It resulted in my son :)
  • I don't go to a RE. My OB/GYN has staff that are very well versed in IF, and I fully trust them. I was closely monitored on Clomid. I would have CD3 bloodwork, and several ultrasounds (I'd have to go look back in my journal to see how often, and when, but I remember going for several of them during a Clomid IUI cycle).
    TTC for 19 months. Dx: PCOS. 3 IUI's with Clomid= BFN 1st IUI with injectables= BFP imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was on 16 (yes, 16) unmonitored cycles of Clomid. Not all with the same doctor. I even was with a RE at one point but everytime I brought up concerns I was told it was fine.

When I found the RE I did IVF with he couldn't believe how many rounds I was given, let alone never monitored on. When we did my LAP for numerous cysts they also found a growth on my left ovary. Luckily it wasn't cancerous but who knows how much Clomid did play into all my cysts and the growth!

I suggest definetly telling them you want to be monitored. Also, 6 is the limit you should take. No matter how many doctors say it's ok to take more. Good luck!!

• I did 4 rounds of clomid with my OB MONITORED.  My OB has an ovulation monitoring program and I got blood tests (2 or 3 during the cycle) and at least 3 ultrasounds during the cycle to ensure evreything was happening as it should.  We had one cycle where I had three follicles that could have turned into eggs and been fertilized.  They recommended we abstain from intercourse so we wouldn't take the chance of having triplets.  This is just one of the reasons you shouldn't take clomid without being monitored. 

Also, if it's covreed by insurance, it's probably only covered for a set amount of cycles, why waste any unmonitored?  And, you are only supposed to use it for a certain amount of cycles as well, again, why waste it unmonitored?

If your OB won't monitor I would find an RE.

Cricket's Cadence
  • I'm currently doing a few unmonitored cycles with my OB.  With my son, I did four, fully monitored cycles with an RE.  50 mg, no trigger, progesterone supps for LP issues, TI.  We are doing the same protocol now.  I did two cycles at the end of the year and got preg, but miscarried.  I'm going to do a few more before going back to my RE (because I will be at my personal comfort limit with the number of  rounds.). 

There are tons of horror stories about improper use of meds/lack of monitoring/etc.  but I'm comfortable with taking a low dose, no trigger, no iui.  Our insurance covered monitoring for non iui cycles the first time around.  Double check and make sure you really don't have coverage if you aren't comfortable going unmonitored.

Good luck!!!! 

• I wasn't monitored by my ob/gyn.  I guess looking back it would have been smart to at least go in and see how many follicles I was developing.  Later, I did some monitored clomid IUIs and found out that I was producing, at best, two follicles so that was good.  I wanted to get pregnant but not with 12 babies!

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• duplicate

4 Clomid cycles BFN's,3 injectible cycles BFN, 3 failed IUI's
    Hystroscopy to remove cysts 11/2010
    IVF #1 with ICSI Graydon Dane born Oct. 23, 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks.
    Surprise BFP 10/9/12. Blighted ovum at 8wks. D&C 11/1/12.
    Surprise BFP#2 TWINS!!! Boy/Girl twins.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • imageDragonfly1226:
    I did two rounds of Clomid with my OBGYN. I was not monitored at all. At the time I was just beginning my IF journey and I really didn't know any better. The cycles didn't work, and I am very lucky that I didn't develop some huge cyst that went undetected. If I had it to do over again knowing what I know now I would have skipped the Clomid cycles with an OB and moved right to a RE. Good luck!

This, only I did develop several cyst that weren't discovered until I went to an RE. I had to have surgery to remove them which delayed our next cycle. Please make sure you are monitored.

4 Clomid cycles BFN's,3 injectible cycles BFN, 3 failed IUI's
    Hystroscopy to remove cysts 11/2010
    IVF #1 with ICSI Graydon Dane born Oct. 23, 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks.
    Surprise BFP 10/9/12. Blighted ovum at 8wks. D&C 11/1/12.
    Surprise BFP#2 TWINS!!! Boy/Girl twins.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • it is crazy irresponsible to not be at least a little bit monitored on clomid. I was checked every few days
    2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"