May 2012 Moms
Options

Membrane Stripped at 37 weeks and 3 days

Hello ladies,

Has anyone else had there membrane stripped at 37 weeks?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Membrane Stripped at 37 weeks and 3 days

• Options
    I think that is something that is done if you are overdue.
  • Options
    I have never heard of having it done that early.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't heard of it that early, it seems to be more 39+ weeks.  You do have to already have started to dialate for them to be stripped.  Mine have not been stripped yet and the doctor hasn't asked/offered to do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I don't know if they really like you to go at 37 weeks any more. Of course it happens naturally all the time but I think they like you to get just a little closer. I have heard of people having it done a lot at 38 weeks, and it's common at 39 weeks. My midwives told me I could have it done at 39 weeks.
  • Options

I did last time at 38 weeks my ob wanted me to go into labor before she left for vacation and I was more than ready to be done. Since stripping your membranes won't do anything unless your body is ready there's no harm doing it at 38 weeks or so my ob said. This time I am seeing a midwife and we decided for me Its best not even to do an internal until my 38 week appointment which will be when I'm 38 weeks 4days.

Fyi I had my membranes striped last time at 38, 39, and 40 weeks and didn't go into labor until 40 weeks 4 days when my water broke at home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options

Usually a doctor won't strip membranes until your past 38 weeks.

I didn't get my membrane's stripped, however, when the doctor checked me yesterday he did "stretch" me a little bit to try to get things going because I'm already a loose 4 cm. I lost my mucous plug this morning so...here is to hoping.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Stripping your membranes is a way of trying to stimulate labor. It is one of the less-aggressive ways to try to stimulate labor, so often tried first. However, at 37 weeks there is (usually) no reason to try to stimulate labor!! It used to be common practice for doctors to try to induce in various ways (including stripping membranes as a first step) starting at 37 weeks, but then the number of babies born with iatrogenic (doctor-caused) prematurity (and the corresponding NICU stays) skyrocketed because, while 37 weeks is technically full-term not all babies are ready then. The official position now is that you should do no induction attempts, including stripping of membranes, before 39 weeks at least. However there are still doctors out there doing it...

Now that said, if it happened to you it's likely not going to cause a problem. As I said, it's relatively mild and is less likely to "work" in stimulating labor if baby is not ready. However, I would tell your doctor you do not consent at future appointments (unless you do, of course) and/or refuse pelvic exams if you don't trust him/her to respect your wishes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    My Dr said recs have changed and they can now start at 38weeks. I will be having it done y I am attempting a VBAC and they can't induce for that. If I don't go into labour by my due date it will be another csection. They won't let me go over due to complications I had with dd. So a stretch and sweep is the best option for me. My 38 week appt is actually at 37.5 so hopefully she'll still do it then. She said they'd never do it at 37 because edd can be off by a few days and at what they think is 37 weeks might only be 36.4 and you don't want a 36 weeker if its not ready.
  • Options
    I learned from experience today that this is something everyone should talk with their OBs/MWs about.  My OB did it without asking my consent today during my internal check.  I am 38w5d, but I'm cool with my due date and really didn't want to do anything to 'move things along' yet this week.  I know it doesn't do much for some people, but I didn't appreciate being done without my consent.  37 weeks seems early unless there is a medical reason for early induction.
    image"">photo 5aa70bd1-35a2-4fdc-86d5-7d5bb7b5c3a1.jpg

• Options
    I had mine stripped at 39 weeks last time, I think I was already slightly dialted/effaced. Plus, we really wanted to get baby out because he was measuring very large!
  • Options
    imagebellelamb:

I did last time at 38 weeks my ob wanted me to go into labor before she left for vacation and I was more than ready to be done. Since stripping your membranes won't do anything unless your body is ready there's no harm doing it at 38 weeks or so my ob said. This time I am seeing a midwife and we decided for me Its best not even to do an internal until my 38 week appointment which will be when I'm 38 weeks 4days.

Fyi I had my membranes striped last time at 38, 39, and 40 weeks and didn't go into labor until 40 weeks 4 days when my water broke at home.

I had mine done at 39 wks, I was already 3 cm and 50% effaced. I had already lost my MP and had my BS but still was induced at 39 wks 5 days for high BP. I walked afterwards and had lots of sex, ate spicy food, etc and nothing worked. If your body/baby isn't ready I truly believe it won't make a difference. That being said, I wouldn't have it done at 37 weeks because it can introduce bacteria into your vagina, much like getting your cervix checked, and/or could artificial rupture your bag of waters.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"