Baby Showers

Dessert Suggestions

I really don't like cake and for the shower my mom is throwing, she's good without cake. She just told me to come up with some things I like. We are having Mexican food (no flan, alas, because I'm allergic to eggs). Now, I am all about Rice Krispies Treats and Jell-O, but I think Mom is going to nix that. I was thinking little things that could be like a dessert buffet? Any ideas? TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Dessert Suggestions

• What about an ice cream cake? or a buffet with several options would be good. (brownies, cookies, candies, etc.--not sure what you can and can't eat with your allergy).

Both of my showers so far have had cake which was ok...I am excited for my last shower (coming up on Sunday) as my cousin loves dessert and likes "options".

What about over the top doughnuts or fun chocolates...it's not like it is your birthday and you ahve to blow out candles, plus people will probably like having something other than cake.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• I like the idea of donuts. I can eat almost all desserts, just not custard that is mostly eggs!
  • Loading the player...
  • ccamccam member
    I know you don't like cake, but will you do cupcakes?  Some people will eat one but not the other.  Or what about all different kinds of pie?  Or a dessert buffet - cookies, brownies, cheesecake, fruit, etc.  Chocolate fountain.  Build your own sundae.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• You could do a little dessert buffet with brownies, cookies, and rice krispy treats.  I would skip the Jell-O.  Or you could serve pie or cheesecake instead of regular cake.
  • imageStacieP76:

What about fruit parfaits? Layers of brownie, strawberries and whipped cream are really good. You could also do some with angel food cake, fruit and whipped cream. You could make some without the cake/brownies if you can't find an recipe with no eggs.

I'm sorry I'm struggling of thinking of a dessert with no eggs....I'll keep thinking.

The only thing I can think of are peanut butter cookies.

I should never have asked this question when I can't eat the dessert! These are all great suggestions! Thanks, ladies!

•  I think lemon and lime flavored desserts go with mexican food.

Margarita cheesecake

Lemon curd tart

Mexican hot chocolate cupcakes

mexican wedding cookies

lime or lemon cookies covered in powdered sugar (i can't remember the name - they are in the Martha Stewart cookie cook book)

key lime pie

cutout sugar cookies decorated to go with the theme or color scheme of the shower

any of the above can be individual sized or you can serve a variety for a dessert buffet

Cricket's Cadence
  • I like the idea of a dessert buffet.  Cake is good, but I also like a good brownie, cake ball, pie, rice krispie treat, etc.

You can make a lot of baked desserts eggless.  I'm vegetarian and dabble in vegan baking.  PETA has a good resource for egg replacements - https://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/egg-replacements.aspx.  My preference is the ground flax seed + water (because it's easy, I just use hot tap water rather than simmer the mixture and it works fine).  The taste isn't impacted in the same way as if you used the prunes or squash as a replacement.  So you could do some of the dessert buffet options, if you have a family/friend who would be comfortable using egg replacements rather than actual eggs.  My omnivorous friends cannot tell the difference between a vegan brownie and one with eggs.

• You can class up rice crispie treats - dip em in chocolate, add some appropriate colored sprinkles.

• Churros!
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Petie Fours, Chocolate strawberries, cream puffs, eclairs, mini tarts, cake pops, Rice Krispy treats, brownies, cookies, there are tons of little finger food size things!

Good Luck!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• If you're going with Mexican food, how about churros and sopapillas, with various dipping sauces?  

(Now I'm craving fried dough.) 

• You can have a little dessert buffet!! Mini churros, mexican brownies, cinnamon chips with a fruity dessert dip, mango tartlets, and apple empanadas.

And rice krispie treats are always good!!! Smile

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• pie!
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • - Make-your-own-Smores station
    - Fruit dipped in chocolate and chilled
    - Anything with egg, made with an egg substitute (would that work for you?)
    - Pies
    - Cheesecake
    - No-bake desserts, like cookie 'cake' (the kind where you crush up cookies, mix into melted chocolate, and chill. It's pretty easy to find egg-free cookie recipes)
    - Chocolate fondue
    - Jello. Homemade jello is really easy and believe it or not, it can be fancy

TRIFLE. This is an English thing, so I'll explain:

Take a glass bowl. Put chunks of cake and fruit (fruit optional) in the bottom and pour jello over it. Allow the jello to set. It's usually then topped with custard, but since you can't have custard, maybe pudding? Not sure if that has egg in it or not. Then top with freshly whipped cream. You can dust the top with crushed nuts or cocoa powder for decoration.
    This is what it should look like: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FXmTwKZmSts/TN_byWZ1fkI/AAAAAAAACzI/Aqics-HB8Ys/s1600/A-magnificent-trifle-001.jpg

• Sorry none of my ideas fit in with a Mexican theme, but if you want to follow PPs suggestions of a lemon tart, this is the best recipe I've ever found: https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/vegetarian-food/deep-lemon-tart.html  
    You may be able to use an egg substitute, but I'd recommend trying it out first. Good luck!
  • Thanks ladies! I am going to share all of this with momma this weekend and see what we can do! You rock! And have made me hungry for dessert!
  • I am not a big cake fan either so we are having a dessert buffet. we are still having a mini 3 tiered cake surrounded by cupcakes a platter of cookies, brownies, pudding, and a variety of candies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"