March 2012 Moms
Options

swimming

With summer coming soon I was wondering... is it ok for babies to go swimming?  My baby girl will be just under 3 months old memorial day weekend which is when my family usually opens their pool and has a big party.  If it is warm out that weekend, is it ok for her get in the pool with me? Obviously I would be holding on her to whole time (me or DH). 

Married DH September 2008
DD1 Born March 2012
DD2 Due November 2014

image         image

imageimage

Re: swimming

• Options

I'm totally with you on wanting to swim with my LO - can NOT wait. However, it looks like the research online recommends waiting for 2 years to avoid damage to their lungs that can lead to things like asthma and allergies... Reading through it, it looks like the damage is caused by the baby breathing in the water? I guess because it splashes on their face, and indoor pools are very humid, with a lot of that moisture in the air. So I'd assume an outdoor pool would be a big improvement...... and just keep their head high out of the water?

I'm undecided on what to do with DD - I think I'll wait until around 6 months. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I took DD swimming at about 3 months - she loved it!  I just put a hat on her and tried to keep her covered since sunblock isn't really approved for babies until 6 months.  I'm sure that debate will come up soon, there is a link somewhere that shows what ingredients are safe for small children in sunblock.
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBeetleLinz1125:
    I took DD swimming at about 3 months - she loved it!  I just put a hat on her and tried to keep her covered since sunblock isn't really approved for babies until 6 months.  I'm sure that debate will come up soon, there is a link somewhere that shows what ingredients are safe for small children in sunblock.

I didn't know that about sunblock! Good point, thanks. 

Married DH September 2008
    DD1 Born March 2012
    DD2 Due November 2014

image         image

imageimage

• Options
    Another question about swimming.  Do you have to cover their diaper with anything other than their swimsuit?  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was wondering the same thing and plan on asking my pedi when we go next.  I live in south FL so its already warm enough here.  I would be comfortable with 3 mo I think.   Right now Target has this water-proof looking hat that is made to give protection from the sun.  I think its like $7. 

• Options

imageBeetleLinz1125:

HOLY CROW your baby's outfit in your siggie is awesome!  Those tights!!

image  image  image

• Options

imageraspberry_bride:
    Another question about swimming.  Do you have to cover their diaper with anything other than their swimsuit?  

Use a swim diaper instead of a regular one. But just a warning- they only hold in poop, pee will still get through. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've already been taking DS. He's been to our gyms warm water pool several times.  Some folks fuss about the chlorine but my pedi doesn't have a problem with it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    We will be swimming this summer!  My mom had me in the pool the summer that I was born.  Judging by the way that our little guy loves his baths I am assuming he will like the pool too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We were all about getting LO in the pool early and often, but then we had a scare in the bath. She turned her head, swallowed some water and stopped breathing for a moment. It was super scary and now I'm really nervous about taking her to a pool!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Until around 18 months there is a reflex (like the plantar or any of the others) that has babies hold their breath when they go under.  With DD we started taking her around 4 months (DS is going sooner cuzz we have DD who still wants to go).  I let her go under all the time.  Our warm water pool has a little ledge seat that the littles all use for cruising and I would let her 'fall' under several times per session.  She t really good at it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"