Postpartum Depression
Options

Wanting to TTC but still have Anxiety (19 months PP)

When I got pregnant the first time, I developed a good deal of anxiety and some OCD stuff. I struggled on and off the first year of my son's life with anxiety, then insomnia. I tried to get in to see a therapist starting when my son was a year, but the waits were 8-12 weeks, even longer for medication. Finally, after not sleeping for 4 days, I went to the ER, was diagnosed with postpartum Anxiety and depression. My son was 15 months. I went on meds for 4 months, but recently went off because i'd like to have another little guy/girl- very badly.

I am not cured of the anxiety, in fact, I'm guessing I'll have it forever now. I also still have sleep anxiety that leads to relatively severe insomnia. I'm taking a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Class. The anxious feelings are worse off BC. 

My psychiatrist says to get back on medication and that I can still get pregnant, and be on meds. I didn't even drink soda in my first pregnancy!I want a my son to have a brother or sister so badly! Thanks and sorry it's so long  .

thoughts, experiences, condolences?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wanting to TTC but still have Anxiety (19 months PP)

• Options

I know exactly what you are going through. I was on AD before I conceived and I did so much research and interviewed so many professionals, I could write a book.  Unfortunately there is hardly any research out there at all because no one wants to experiment with pregnant women.  The drug companies pretty much just look nervous and cover their a$$es with, "well, there may or may not be risks with these medications, but there are also risks to going off your medications, please don't sue us."  This post by the Mayo Clinic was kind of helpful, but it basically says what I just said in the previous paragraph.  https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants/dn00007

If you ever need more information than that, or just want to commiserate, feel free to drop me a line.  I am totally there, sister. 

• Options
    I had pretty bad PPA after DS was born, but refused meds. I am currently PG with #2 and the anxiety was getting worse. I talked to my doc and they gave me a med to take when I felt like I needed it. I feel like I'm in control of when I take the med and only take it when I feel like it's necessary. My doc told me that if my depression gets worse, there are meds she would be comfortable giving me from 2nd tri on. My BFF stayed on her meds for both depression and anxiety throughout her entire pregnancy and has a happy, healthy 21 month old. Good luck.
    boots badgePhotobucket BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Google does not make one a doctor. There have been lots of studies on anxiety medications and pregnancy. An untreated mood disorder can have devastating consequences to a fetus and a family. Talk to your doctor and do not listen to idiots who think they are one on the nest.
  • Options

I'm sorry you are going through this as I am too.  The PPD/PPA and my severe insomnia b/c of it.  I am not TTC now, but want to in about 2-3 more years.  I hope to be off my meds by then, but what if I'm not?  :-(  I'm like you...didn't even drink caffiene or anything that could possibly cause a problem while preggo with DS1.  Don't want to be on meds with #2, but if I have to, then I'll have to.  I am also in fear of going through the same torture after having #2 too.  It scares my DH so bad that he sometimes says he is prefectly happy with just 1.  :(   I've always wanted 2...this just totally sucks!  I hate to say this, but if we would have had a girl first time around he may be saying something different now.  But see, he has his boy now, but I want so badly to try for a little girl one day.  Ahh.......

Sorry for all the rambling...Good luck to you and I hope everything works out for you!  Just keep praying and listen to your doctors and not google...stay off the net!!!

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    If I may ask, what is the name of the "sometimes" med?  My doctor only wants to give me the heavy hitters that take 2-3 weeks to take effect and have horrible withdrawals :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"