June 2011 Moms
Options

Bottle Mix up (not me)

Did you all see this post?

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/1/65332528/ShowThread.aspx

How would you feel in this situation.   I can't believe that people are saying the OP overreacted. This happend 2x!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bottle Mix up (not me)

• Options
    Seems like a symptom of a bigger problem. If that happened, what else is happening that you don't even know about?
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I would not be happy, I would pull my child and report it.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Mistakes happen, we are all human, but everyone I know who has their LOs in DC have very clearly labeled bottles, cup, pacifiers, etc. If formula and/or WCM were mixed up, I would be bummed and would certainly want the day care to improve their system, but if I found out that my BM had been given to another child I would straight up punch someone. 

This makes me very thankful that MIL watches my little guy. 

• Options
    klvklv member
    Once is an accident. Twice is not ok! I had to cut out dairy when I was BF. if LO got someone else's dairy filled BM and I was up all night with her I would be pissed. 
  • Options
    I don't think OP is overreacting. I'd be concerned with what else they might be so careless about. And the ones that said she's "that mom", I know you get more bees with honey and I'm nice to start off with but if I have concerns for my child , I don't care if I'm "that mom". 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

"They did their research and found out it was baby's formula and not breast milk that she had.  Thank God."

Because another mother's breast milk is poison to anyone else's baby. Confused

I would be bothered by the mistake and the fact that it happened twice in such a short time. I wouldn't be on the warpath like she is. I can only imagine what she's like to deal with on a day to day basis - no wonder the daycare teacher didn't want to watch her kid.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageCarlaAndJames:
    Seems like a symptom of a bigger problem. If that happened, what else is happening that you don't even know about?

Exactly this.  To me anything can happen once.  But with a clear lable on the bottle for it to happen 2x within a matter of days makes me wonder.  I would have expected them to be extra carefull after the first incident!

• Options

imageGwyneddlesliegrace:
    I would not be happy, I would pull my child and report it.

That's what I posted!

• Options

I don't necessarily think she overreacted, but the thing that I keep going back to is that she expected changes to be implemented between 11am and 4:30pm?!  That's just not going to happen, IMO.

Though, that's not the main point of her concern.  It doesn't matter if the other kid has the same bottles as well - they're labeled - take the 5 seconds to find the right one!  

At the same time though - and this is probably an UO or even flameworthy - mistakes happen, and sometimes they happen more than once.  Because it's two days in a row you also kind of have to wonder if something else is going on.  Maybe they're short staffed unexpectedly, the kids were ultra wild, etc.  Not that it's an excuse, but just thinking out loud.  If it happens a 3rd time THAT'S when I'd get super duper pi$$ed, but I always like to give benefit of the doubt if I can.

• Options

imageklv:
    Once is an accident. Twice is not ok! I had to cut out dairy when I was BF. if LO got someone else's dairy filled BM and I was up all night with her I would be pissed. 

In your situation, that would have been completely different.  In her situation, she said her baby was on WCM.  Clearly dairy is not a problem.  I would be more upset if my BM/formula baby got WCM than if my WCM baby got formula/BM.  However, I wouldn't love the idea of my baby getting another mom's BM that I didn't know.  That would probably upset me more.

Although, I get being upset, I don't know if it would be a deal breaker for me.  I'd let it slide, but if it happened a third time, I'd probably say 3 strikes and be out. 

• Options

imageCarlaAndJames:

I also agree with this.  I would be annoyed if this were the only problem.  She seemed down right furious.

• Options
    imagemari_gold:

"They did their research and found out it was baby's formula and not breast milk that she had.  Thank God."

I don't think that was the point.  A lot of people are not comfortable with donor milk.  I don't think anyone thinks a mother's breast milk is poison.  However, if you don't know their diet and storing habits, I can see how it would make someone uneasy.  I'd probably be okay with donor milk, but I could see my husband not being okay with it at all.  KWIM?

• Options
    I don't think the OP overreacted at all. I don't think I'd be that upset that my LO was given someone else's formula as I would with the fact that the bottles were mixed up. OP said the bottles were labeled so there should never have been a mix up, and twice?! That's just not okay! The teachers deserved to be ripped a new one! I'd be worried about what other mix ups are going on throughout the day!
  • Options

I get the upset part - maybe not warpath upset.

Someone else mentioned in the responses that maybe the teacher thought she was giving the bottle to the right child. Maybe she isn't usually in there or they look similar - then when the other teacher should have signed off on the bottle she just didn't care. So no one caught it.

• Options

What if it were my kids and someone gave Jacob a cup of cows milk and he dropped dead? Or someone fed James what they thought were green beans and they were actually peas? I think she has every right to be upset and as angry as she wants to be. People need to be reliable and to follow directions and not half azz things. These parents pay good money for daycare and should expect for things to be followed correctly.

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemari_gold:

I would be bothered by the mistake and the fact that it happened twice in such a short time. I wouldn't be on the warpath like she is. I can only imagine what she's like to deal with on a day to day basis - no wonder the daycare teacher didn't want to watch her kid.

What if the beastmilk came from someone like me, who has late-stage untreated Lyme Disease, and didnt find out about it until 6 months after the birth of her second baby?

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageaniceucchik:

What if it were my kids and someone gave Jacob a cup of cows milk and he dropped dead? Or someone fed James what they thought were green beans and they were actually peas? I think she has every right to be upset and as angry as she wants to be. People need to be reliable and to follow directions and not half azz things. These parents pay good money for daycare and should expect for things to be followed correctly.

Yes

Many claps for this statement.  A mistake is them puting my LO in size 3 when I have told them he is size 2.  I dont even bother to complain about that.  Giving a child the wrong bottle 2x and using the lame excuse that 2 kids use Dr. Browns (the most popular bottle) is complete disregard/lazyness!

• Options
    I would be upset. The first time I probably wouldn't have been that upset, people make mistakes. But the 2nd time I would not be happy. And I would have been very upset with the reaction from the teacher and director.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    imageaniceucchik:

This is what I was thinking. Did the baby who was supposed to have formula end up with WCM? What if that baby had a dairy allergy? Babies can have such complex dietary concerns that feeding the wrong bottle, IMO, is a *huge* deal and I don't see anything wrong with her being on the warpath about it! 

• Options
    imageaniceucchik:
    imagemari_gold:

What if the beastmilk came from someone like me, who has late-stage untreated Lyme Disease, and didnt find out about it until 6 months after the birth of her second baby?

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. The chances of that being the case in this hypothetical situation are low, though, and I can't live worrying about things that are extremely unlikely to occur.

To clarify, I would be irritated no matter what the baby drank because it's a sloppy mistake to make. But I wouldn't be out for blood like this mom is, and the idea that formula is somehow better than breast milk is weird to me. Especially since the poster made no reference to food allergies.

I actually think the mom of the other baby has way more cause for concern.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"