Baby Names
Options

Scottie for a girl?

DH and I were watching The Descendants last night and the daughter's name was Scottie.  We couldn't for the life of us figure out if this was a stand alone name or a nn, and if so, what is it a nn for?  I'm curious!

Re: Scottie for a girl?

• Options
    I'd never use Scottie, but I think it's kinda cute for a little girl. Not sure it would age well, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'd have to say no.
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I dislike Scottie as a given name, but I think it would be an ok nn.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have a friend that named there daughter Scotlyn it is their middle names together!
  • Options

imageRachelilly23:
    I'd have to say no.

This 

• Options

imageVrbka:
    We have a friend that named there daughter Scotlyn it is their middle names together!

Somehow that makes it just a little bit more vomit worthy.

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options

imagecaramia582:
    DH and I were watching The Descendants last night and the daughter's name was Scottie.  We couldn't for the life of us figure out if this was a stand alone name or a nn, and if so, what is it a nn for?  I'm curious!

DH and I just watched this too and were wondering the exact same thing; is it a nn of some sort for a female name, or was her name just 'scottie'? Either way, it's not a name I'd use on a little girl.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OK everyone I just want to save face and assure you that I am not considering it for a future daughter, I just hadn't heard it before and was curious! :)
  • Options
    I actually know a woman in her late 50s/early 60s named Scottie and it suits her well. That being said, I've always wondered why her name was Scottie because it is such an odd name for a female. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yuck to the OP ...

imageJoy2611:

imageVrbka:

oh sweet Moses.

And LOL to this! 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went to college with a girl named Scottie. She had a feminine first name and her MN was Scott (family name) and she forever went by Scottie. I liked it on her.
  • Options

I went to school with a girl who had a vrey common (girly) first name, with the last name Scott. By junior high she was going by Scott or Scottie to everyone except me and our parents. In her case it was just a nickname, derived from her last name. Her first name didn't suit her personality at all.

• Options
    Scottie was the nickname of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Fitzgerald's daughter, their only child. Her given name was Frances Scott Fitzgerald but she only ever went by Scottie. It's cute in that context. Any other context, I might give the side-eye...
  • Options
    imageJoy2611:

Once again I feel compelled to say: No. NO NO NO NO.

Scott is a fabulous and underused boy name.

I'm  beginning to think I'll  name my son Male that way I know some dumb parent won't think it sounds good on their girl and begin the robbery.  Of course, given the way -son names have gone, maybe I'm not so safe.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You have just stated everything I hate about -son names and boy name turned girl names in general. Is Joy your first name? It's mine too.

Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    imageJoy2611:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imageJoy2611:

Once again I feel compelled to say: No. NO NO NO NO.

Scott is a fabulous and underused boy name.

I'm  beginning to think I'll  name my son Male that way I know some dumb parent won't think it sounds good on their girl and begin the robbery.  Of course, given the way -son names have gone, maybe I'm not so safe.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You have just stated everything I hate about -son names and boy name turned girl names in general. Is Joy your first name? It's mine too.

No, it's not!  Sorry!  I picked my screen name based around my wedding - in that, one should feel Joy when planning a wedding.  I did!  :-)  My real name is actually 68th on the SSA list for 2010.

I also hate all -son names except for Alison since it is a version of Alice.  The rest?  Blech on a girl.

Well it's not the easiest name to grow up with so you're lucky there! 

Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options

There's a reason why names you see on TV or in the movies are sometimes odd.  BECAUSE IT'S NOT REALITY!

• Options
    imageJoy2611:

I'm  beginning to think I'll  name my son Male that way I know some dumb parent won't think it sounds good on their girl and begin the robbery

Some moron will decide it is a cool and unique way to spell Molly so you still won't be safe.

OP: I  have a dsitant cousin nmed "Scottie Beth".  It was cute on her at 3 and I haven't seen her since to know whether it is weird on an adult.

I also met woman who was named "Scotia" but I think she pronounced it Sco-shuh instead of Scot-ee-uh.  I  called her Mrs. Scott so I'm not sure of the first name pronunciation

dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"