Single Parents
Options

Septmom or any who's gone to CS court

I was just wondering if you can give me some ideas on what to expect.  I have our first CS court date next Weds.  It is specificially for CS only.  I don't believe he will be allowed to object to the current visitation (temp order since Aug. 1). 

And assuming things go well when do you think the first payment is due?  On May 1st?

Also did you have back child support?  If so how do judges typically deal with it?  I've heard they only tack on an additional $25 or so every month which means in some cases they will be paying this additional amount for years.

Re: Septmom or any who's gone to CS court

• Options

Every state is different. Here, child support becomes effective from the date of birth. We went to court in Aug of 1997, and the first payment was due June 21, 1996. Back child support started from that day, and accrued until he began making regular payments. I started getting them in Oct, and so Sep was added. The minimum amount was 50$/month. When he got to 25K, the minimum became 150. He'll be paying child support and court fees long after DD turns 18...she's 16 now, and had gotten it below 16K, it's back over now that he quit his job.

We've decided if DD goes to college here, the money will be used to support her. Of she goes to school out the area, a portion of it will go to her and the rest in a bank acct. Just giving you some ideas in case your case goes on as long as mine will. Probably until DD is 25 or so. 

• Options

HI,  My court date was pretty simple since he decided not to show up.  He listed 0 for income so CS was calculated for his potential earnings as a minimum wage worker (which i think is more than fair to the guy) 

I did request back support and was granted it.  It was not due to me in a lump sum, broken up to about 20 dollars extra a week until it is paid off.

The support order was made so the first payment was due the following week.  This would be excellent if he paid.  I havent recieved a dime yet but heres for wishful thinking

goodluck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"