June 2012 Moms

Going natural (this has probably been asked before)

Any second time mom's go natural with their first?  Any feedback you have?
BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy

Re: Going natural (this has probably been asked before)

• I did but it was against my will.  By the time the doctor realized, yes, I was indeed in labor, there was no time for an epidural.  So I went natural but I can't take credit for it because I just didn't have a choice!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Natural w/ DS and planning to go natural w/ this LO too.  Both as natural hospital births.  Just make sure you have plenty of support and someone to advocate for your wishes w/ the hospital staff.
    IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • Loading the player...
  • I did. I had actually planned to all along but my labor with my first was extremely unlike any other. I had minor contractions at the start of the day and BAM, went into full blown labor at the hospital within a couple hours. My actual painful hard labor was a mere 4 hours long and I pushed him out in 9 minutes (face up). When I actually got to the point of starting to consider an epi the nurse told me I was too far and had no choice now but to go natural. I'm grateful she told me that because it put my mind in a mode where I couldn't bother thinking about an "escape" from the pain. I just bore through it. It sucked and it hurt but it made pushing and everything easy since I could feel everything my body was doing and what worked and what didn't. I had also requested to all nurses upon my arrival to not offer me any pain meds at all unless I asked.

Honestly, it all depends on how your body transitions. Mine happened so fast that before I knew it I could push (the pushing part doesn't hurt much at all and really relieves the contraction pain). I can honestly say had my hard labor been 12 hours or something like a few of my friends, I probably couldn't have done it. Now that I have done it, I know what to expect and plan to go natural again.

• I did with my second (although not really by choice, just no time for an epidural and the Dr/nurse both felt that I'd progressed so far without any meds that I'd be fine - which I was).

At least in my experiences, I never felt any pressure (with DD1 or DD2) for interventions/drugs.  I do believe that when Dr's want to give you something or need to do something - it's because it is best for you and baby.  Otherwise (in my experience) they lean towards going pretty natural anyways (maybe it's cynical of me, but it's easier for them/less work/cost etc.).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekaren3337:
    I did but it was against my will.  By the time the doctor realized, yes, I was indeed in labor, there was no time for an epidural.  So I went natural but I can't take credit for it because I just didn't have a choice!

This happened to me as well. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • By 'natural' you mean pain- med free, right?

I've had 2 natural births now and am getting ready for my 3rd. Honestly, I wouldn't do it any other way. I find it to be an incredible and empowering and amazing experience (and no, I don't have super easy or quick births). For me, it's about more than pain relief. Having an epidural might  relieve my pain, but it puts me (and LO) at greater risk for further interventions, c-section, various other things I'd rather not risk. Having a med free birth might mean pain, but there are no other 'risks' involved. And you know what? The pain is temporary, and people survive it! The rush of hormones and adrenaline after delivering without pain meds is unreal and makes the pain easily forgotten. 

It was important for me to reframe how I considered labor and pain. Labor wasn't scary and I worked hard to stay positive about it, listen to/read positive stories, etc. And the pain wasn't so much painful as it was powerful and temporary and bringing my LO closer to me. Having DHs full support was critical,and I put myself in environments that were supportive as well (I had #1 at a MW run birth center that didn't offer epis and did offer water births). I did A LOT of research and reading while pregnant and that was important too. Knowledge is power.  

I really think it's an amazing experience, but I also recognize that there's a time and place for pain meds and intervention. Do some more research into what birth experience you want, stay positive about birth (the book 'Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth' is a GREAT place to start, written by Ina May Gaskin), and if you really want to have a natural birth, then focus on that and plan for it. Yes, you need some flexibility, but for the most part people that say they'll "go natural for as long as they can" usually get epis. Labor is a marathon, and should be prepared for as such. You wouldn't line up at the start line of a marathon and say, "i hope I finish, but we'll see how long I last". 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"