June 2012 Moms
Options

"Trust us we know better than you"

I love DH's family dearly, and since his sisters are both within a few years of our ages, we hang out quite often. His one sister has 2 daughters, and the other has a son. I am going to be breastfeeding, but since I will be returning to work full time we still needed some bottles. I spent quite a few hours researching different baby products including bottles, and decided on the Tommee Tippee line of bottles, sippee cups, pacifiers, etc. I also have a lot of experience with infants as I always had my cousin's little girl when she was a baby, and I found with her that Pampers was the best brand of diapers. So we registered for Tommee Tippee products and Pampers diapers. I know every baby is different, and these brands may not work for us, but they are what I want to start with.

DH's sisters stopped by last night because they had gotten us a few baby things they said. They bought us The First Years brand bottles and Wal Mart brand diapers. They said they knew we registered for other brands but since they had kids already, they knew what worked and what didn't better than us. The diapers I'm ok with keeping and using, but if LO takes to the Tommee Tippee bottles would it be ungreatful of us to exchange the other bottles for something we'll actually use? I really do appreciate the thought of their gift and am greatful we have family who cares, but I also did a lot of research and had already figured out what bottles we wanted to try out... I don't want to come off as selfish or ungreatful if I do exchange these. What would you ladies do?

imagePhotobucket width="180px"> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "Trust us we know better than you"

• Options

Just save them unopened for now.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with exchanging them, if they don't work. 

Bottles in particular are so personal to the baby, I can't imagine recommending one or stocking up.  My sister just went through 15 bottle types, before finding something that her LO would take.  So, you may end up using a completely different type of bottle.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagechicagocubsfan23:

I know every baby is different, and these brands may not work for us, but they are what I want to start with.

DH's sisters stopped by last night because they had gotten us a few baby things they said. They bought us The First Years brand bottles and Wal Mart brand diapers. They said they knew we registered for other brands but since they had kids already, they knew what worked and what didn't better than us. The diapers I'm ok with keeping and using, but if LO takes to the Tommee Tippee bottles would it be ungreatful of us to exchange the other bottles for something we'll actually use? I really do appreciate the thought of their gift and am greatful we have family who cares, but I also did a lot of research and had already figured out what bottles we wanted to try out... I don't want to come off as selfish or ungreatful if I do exchange these. What would you ladies do?

You're already on the right track. You have an idea of what you want to start with, but yet you also have an open mind that it may not work and may need to make adjustments. You're already smarter than your SIL. :)

DS#1- 7/2002

DS#2- 6/2004

DS#3- 9/2007

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagecchill01:

Just save them unopened for now.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with exchanging them, if they don't work. 

Bottles in particular are so personal to the baby, I can't imagine recommending one or stocking up.  My sister just went through 15 bottle types, before finding something that her LO would take.  So, you may end up using a completely different type of bottle.

I was planning on holding onto them for now but if one of the other brands we liked worked exchanging them then. I know each baby is different, I just didn't want to hur their feelings if we didn't use those bottles

• Options

My personal opinion is that a useable gift is better than one that wastes money. We returned the pack'n'play that my aunt and uncle got us for my shower because they got us the deluxe, bells and whistles, huge version instead of the simple travel version we wanted. My thing is we are not going to use the big one - we need something for when we travel and this one didn't even have a carry bag. So, instead of having a gift sitting around being unused we returned it for one that we will.

We really appreciate the thought and their generosity and know that trying to save their feelings would mean that their money was essentially wasted - which would hurt their feelings more since for them this was an elaborate gift.

I think if you keep the bottles in their packages (my understanding is opened ones are unreturnable)  until you know for sure that the Tommee Tippee ones work that things will work out in the end.

pregnancy pregnancy
  • Options

I would exchange them for the Tommie Tippee ones.  When I had my first LO, some well meaning relatives got me the Playtex Drop-ins bottles.  I took them back and exchanged them for the Dr. Brown's bottles.  

They never said anything to me about it, but if they had, I would have just said he liked these better and they were recommended by his pedi.

Besides that, every baby IS different and what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another.  

IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • Options
    imagechicagocubsfan23:
    imagecchill01:

I was planning on holding onto them for now but if one of the other brands we liked worked exchanging them then. I know each baby is different, I just didn't want to hur their feelings if we didn't use those bottles

Don't worry about hurting their feelings. If for some reason they ask you why you aren't using the bottles, say that you tried and LO wouldn't take them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJessieCupcake:
    imagechicagocubsfan23:
    imagecchill01:

Don't worry about hurting their feelings. If for some reason they ask you why you aren't using the bottles, say that you tried and LO wouldn't take them.

That's a good idea, thanks!

• Options
    We registered for Playtex drop ins as well as Pampers,  and recieved 3 gift boxes of Playtex Ventaires and multiple Huggies, Luvs, etc. boxes... so, we exchanged them for what we wanted. I don't think it's ungrateful - you want what you want for your baby, and like you said, what works for some may not work for others!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I agree that you should do what you are comfortable doing. And like one of the other posters said - if anyone really asked why you were using a different brand then you can just say that that is what your baby would use. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"