Parenting after 35

Follow-up on Grammar

So, I teach math at college; given everyone's conversation about declining English skills, I thought you might enjoy the comment I received on one of my course evaluations: There needs to be more going over what we did in high school because we cant just jump into college and be expected to understand

Re: Follow-up on Grammar

• Hahahahahhaha!   

Funny, but sad.

At least he/she used the proper form of "there."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm usually a lurker, but felt the need to chime in...This person would really hate me because I'd expect him/her to not only remember HS grammar but grade school as well!

I remember my HS French class had a bunch of kids struggling with the concept of direct objects and where, exactly, they get placed in a sentence (in French). As the teacher explained it for the umpteenth time, I realized that a majority of the kids weren't getting it because they didn't really understand what a direct object was in English. If they didn't understand it in their native language, how on earth would they grasp it related to a foreign one?!

• Loading the player...
  • I would NOT be a good teacher - my expectations are too high.  I would have seriously had a long conversation with that person questioning their education and their future.
  • hahahaha...
  • Nice try student, how the eff did you even get into college! I'm blown away that they would even ask, but seriously, if you signed up for college level math, I would assume you had a better than average high school math grade before even entertaining taking the course. I'd tell the student to drop it, FFS and take Rocks for Jocks.
  • Thanks for the replies....sadly course evals are done anonymously at the end of the semester so I don't have the joy of knowing which little lovely this was. 
  • imageMaggee206:
    Thanks for the replies....sadly course evals are done anonymously at the end of the semester so I don't have the joy of knowing which little lovely this was. 

post it on the door and see who complains?  ;)  (see - I told you I'd make a really bad teacher...No way I'd make it through the first year without getting fired and making the news)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"