Health & Exercise
Options

Need some suggestions, weight loss related.

I have had success losing weight in the past using mydailyplate, but that was about 4-5 years ago and was pre baby. I have gained back the nearly 30lbs I had lost in that time. I started using my fitness pal recently which helps with calorie counting, but not so much with suggestions on what to do or what to eat.

My biggest problem is that I work part-time on third shift as a hospice nurse. A lot of that time is spent sitting with one person, sometimes in a home, which makes it impossible to get any activity (I often don't get lunches etc, just the nature of the business), then I come home and squeeze in 4 hours of sleep if I'm lucky before my husband goes to work. So... I'm not getting much sleep, I'm totally exhausted and I've spent all night sitting. I then spend the following day trying to rest as much as possible and cannot give up the precious nap time I'm allotted when my dd naps in order to work out.

Last week I totally committed myself to working out and did so for 5 days. I worked harder than I ever have, and monitored my intake at about 1300 calories a day. I gained 5lbs... FIVE POUNDS. I was completely crushed. I could have taken not losing at all, even a 1 or 2 lb gain but the five upset me so much.

I need some suggestions on what I can do that might help jump start my weight loss. I need something to get me going so I have some reason to stick with it. Does anyone have suggestions? Anyone here try WW and think its any better than dailyplate or fitness pal? I just need some kind of boost... I've considered joining a gym with childcare but everyone tells me its not worth the money... any thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need some suggestions, weight loss related.

• Options
    I think your lack of sleep is the culprit. I worked nights years ago and developed high blood pressure. (It has always been hard for me to lose weight unless I took Adipex (before my 10 year reunion haha). I was just reading last night that when you don't sleep, your body quits producing enough insulin and that can lead to type II diabetes, along with weight gain, etc. Is there any way you can switch to day shift?
  • Options

I agree wtih Bateaulover, lack of sleep is probably a bit part of it.

What type of food are you eating? I would look into cutting out grain-based carbs and eating plenty of healthy fats (butter, olive oil, coconut oil). And yes, I did say "eating fat" not "avoiding fat", eating fat can actually cause your body to drop fat.

Gyms are a rip-off. Get yourself some weights and you have all the workout you need at home. Walk a lot, run (all-out effort) occasionally, lift weights.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My advice, is stop looking at the scale. 

a) If you put on 5 pounds over a few days, it is probably just water weight.

b) Sometimes people gain weight when they first start a workout routine because their bodies are packing on muscle - which is denser that fat.  You can lose inches around your waist, but gain a couple pounds...

Just keep at it.  There is no quick and fast way to gain weight.  You've got to eat smaller portions, make healthy food choices, drink lots of water, and excercise.

And in my opinion, gyms are worth the money if it's something you can afford.  Your health is always worth it and if going to a gym gets you motivated and working out - then that's what you need to do. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Options

Thanks for everyones input.

I do believe my schedule is contributing to things, but I'm not sure what I can do to change that. The reason I work nights is due to lack of babysitting options, which is the same reason I would even entertain a gym membership. The gym i was looking at has child care.

What I would give to just have someone watch her an hour a day... but who am I kidding, if I only had 4 hours of sleep I'd probably sleep for that hour rather than workout. Oh well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Maybe try to work out on your days off and eat healthy the rest of the time. When you start exercising you will naturally have more energy. I also noticed once I'm on a routine I don't feel as good if I miss a workout. I know that the overnight shift is tough. Maybe after your shift go straight to the gym or go for a walk before going home. Good luck on what you decide but two or three days a week is better than 0.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"