Attachment Parenting
Options

if you BF while PG

Just found out (very unexpectedly) we're expecting #2.

I hadn't planned on weaning DS until at least 2yo unless he self-weaned first. He's a major comfort nurser so I wouldn't expect him to self-wean early.  But I understand being PG may change that. And honestly it makes me kinda sad that our nursing relationship may change. We had planned to wait for #2 when DS was done nursing.

Did you notice a drop in your supply or bm taste changes based on LOs reaction during your pregnancy? If yes, when did that happen? Did your LO self-wean as a result? If they did wean, did they become interested in BFing again when the new baby was born? I am open to tandem BFing if DS is interested.

I feel like DS has been really fussy the last few days, waking every 1-2hrs at night and won't take any comfort but nursing. Coincidence or can PG affect my supply this quickly?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: if you BF while PG

• Options

Did you notice a drop in your supply or bm taste changes based on LOs reaction during your pregnancy?  My supply dropped pretty much instantly and we went through a rough time where DD wanted to nurse pretty much constantly.  Things have leveled out now though and we're doing good although she has dropped some feedings (she was still nursing 6-8 times in a 24hr period at 15mos so I don't mind the dropped feedings).

If yes, when did that happen?  Pretty much instantly but I think her almost constant nursing picked my supply back up enough to at least satisfy her.

Did your LO self-wean as a result?  So far we're still nursing.  I have no idea if weaning is in our future.  She's dropped to only 3-5 sessions so I guess it's possible but we're just taking it a day at a time.

If they did wean, did they become interested in BFing again when the new baby was born?  N/A

Coincidence or can PG affect my supply this quickly?  I'd say pregnancy can absolutely affect your supply right away.  Your hormones start changing instantly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Options

We are not weaned yet and LO2 is not here, but currently LO is 16 months and nurses usually when I get home at 6 pm, then before bed, 1-2 times at night and then a first AM nursing.  But if he doesn't ask to nurse, I don't offer....hoping that he will wean on his own before number 2 is here in Oct.

I have noticed that I don't feel as full and when I try to hand express, there is not much there.  But LO has not seemed to care.  He nurses just like normal.  He is a BIG time comfort nurser as well and he is eating so many solids and getting goats milk that I don't think he really cares about the milk aspect....just the comfort.

I am hoping to wean by Aug, but not going to push it yet....well see if he will do it on his own! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Your story and timeline sounds familiar! (See tickers)

Did you notice a drop in your supply or bm taste changes based on LOs reaction during your pregnancy? DS transitioned himself to primarily solids rather than BM during my 1st tri, but that also makes sense with him turning one. Part of it my have been that my nipples were sensitive, so I cut sessions short. I cannot tell if there is a taste or supply difference,

If yes, when did that happen? Did your LO self-wean as a result? DS has self-day weaned (most days), but he likes to nurse once at night and 2-3 times from 4-6 am.

If they did wean, did they become interested in BFing again when the new baby was born? I am open to tandem BFing if DS is interested. Not there yet. We also are just taking it as it comes. DS was sick last week and nursed a ton. I was thrilled! This week he is cutting back again.

I feel like DS has been really fussy the last few days, waking every 1-2hrs at night and won't take any comfort but nursing. Coincidence or can PG affect my supply this quickly?  I didn't find out I was PG until later than you, but this is exactly what DS did before I'd gotten the BFP (so about the same timeline). Of course, it can be other things, too.

I suggest reading Adventures in Tandem Nursing. It is THE book for all of these questions and more.

• Options

I just started questioning my supply.  DD will nurse for a few and then ask for "more" - even though I didn't unlatch her.  If I try to offer the same side again, she'll do the same thing, until I offer the other side.  So, I feel like my supply is starting to drop.

I secretly hope DD will self-wean during this pregnancy, but, I'm starting to think we may have jealousy issues regarding nursing when #2 comes along.  I don't know if tandem nursing will solve or exacerbate any issues.  I'm just going to try and take it as it comes (assuming I can deal with the nipple pain I've been going through lately due to hormones).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

It is hard to tell exactly when my supply dropped for pregnancy reasons, as I traveled away from DS at 7 weeks and tried to lower it a bit because OMG IT HURT TO NURSE and DS was also a major comfort nurser at that point (20 months old).

Now, at just over 2 years, we are down to once a day. He doesn't seem interested in stopping, although he really doesn't get anything. He generally latches for a few seconds on each side, on the days he nurses. Or he'll only do one side for a few minutes and the next day he'll get the other side. I really wanted to make it to 2 and I'm glad we did, but it is a very laid back thing at this point.

I have a friend whose son (2.5) started nursing again once she had her 2nd, and I'm fine with tandem nursing, so we'll just see what happens.

I'm about to post a related story that will really show you what our nursing relationship is like right now. :)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When I got pregnant I was still nursing DD at night and in the morning. I couldn't really tell about supply since she was so old. However, she said to me "actually the mommy milk tastes kind of bad now". We weaned shortly after around 13 weeks, maybe 14? If she was younger I would have tried some things to maintain the relationship but she was already two and I didn't want to tandem nurse anyway. Good luck and congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks all for responding. So I guess it's normal then :( Hopefully DS just cuts back and doesn't actually wean. And praying I don't get a lot of pain like some of you mentioned. So far it feels rougher, probably combo of being more sensitive and DS nursing harder to get more out. I might look into bm donations to fill in the gaps if I can't produce as much anymore- I'm not ready to intro wcm (or other alternatives) yet.

Pixieprincess- thanks for the book recommendation. Will definitely look into that. Looking forward to hearing about more of your experience since our timelines are so similar. 

• Options

Not everyone's nipples get more sensitive. Maybe you'll be lucky. 

I have another friend who didn't have particularly sore nipples, and her son (turned 2 in December, she had baby in March) never stopped nursing. He may have missed a day at most, but once her colostrum came in, he was back at it and would say "Yummy Mommy Milk!" She is tandem nursing now and doing well.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm still very early, like you are...but so far I cannot tell a difference in my supply.  I pump at work 3 days/week, so I am hopeful that that will help be a very clear indicator if my supply really does tank.  But everything I'm reading suggests that it's possible to nurse through an entire pregnancy, and that many don't experience significant hits to their supply until 20-27 weeks.  My hope is to continue nursing my son until he is done, and tandem nurse them if I should be so lucky.

Good luck to you! :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Did you notice a drop in your supply or bm taste changes based on LOs reaction during your pregnancy? DD, is 3y3m. She told me the milk tasted like eggs for a while (maybe between 10-16w?) but now she says it tastes like cupcakes. I am fairly certain it has changed to colostrum as she says it's harder to get out and she was seriously constipated before that but now poops 2x a day.

If yes, when did that happen? See above

Did your LO self-wean as a result? Nope. She says she will share with DC2. 

If they did wean, did they become interested in BFing again when the new baby was born?  n/a

• Options

I noticed a drop around 6w. It was a steady drop. Then, I started supplementing and we all know what a slippery slope that is, so my supply has steadily gone down. DD still nurses 6-8 times a day. Mostly for comfort, because I know she isn't getting that much, but she's pretty much a boob addict. I'm sure I could have battery acid coming out of my nipples and she'd still want to nurse, so no idea if the taste/consistency has changed. 

I have no plans to wean. I'll let her take the reigns on that. I figure that if she can hold out for another 4 months, she'll get a lot more milk.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options

My DS1 was 23 months when I got pregnant with DS2, so he wasn't nursing as much as an 11-mo-old.

I didn't notice and supply drops, and DS1 would have probably nursed all the way through my pregnancy and beyond, but I couldn't deal with nursing him after about the first trimester. It wasn't comfortable, and drove me nuts. I weaned him, and it took about 4-5 months.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"