3rd Trimester

If you sit in an office chair all day

is your back on fire? I can not take the pain anymore, no position is comfortable. Today I tried putting a pillow behind my back and it's still not helping. I'm going to try putting my feet up on a stool next. Any luck with sitting on a yoga ball instead?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you sit in an office chair all day

• LM915LM915 member

I'm on my third chair and this one seems to be okay for now.  The other two just killed me... I could not get comfortable and nothing helped the back pain I was having.

I don't have any advice, but I hope you can find something to help!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 | DD born July 2012
    BFP #2 | EDD 04.18.14 | D&C 10.01.13 @ 11w3d
    BFP #3 | EDD 09.15.14
  • I sit in an office chair and it literally feels like my ribs are snapping in half. I bought a birthing ball this weekend and I am seriously considering bringing it to work. However, I don't know if that will help for an extended period of time because there's no back support on it. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I find I need to get up and walk around at least every 15 to 30 minutes. I put my feet up but that doesn't help my back.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm in an office chair and while I'm not as uncomfortable as you, there are definitely some discomforts of sitting all day long.  I highly recommend getting up at least 5 minutes every 60-90 minutes just to change positions.  Walking around really does seem to help relieve some of the pain that I'm having.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a good bit behind you, but am feeling this too.  I get up and walk for 5 minutes or so every hour and keep my feet propped up on my CPU as much as possible.  I actually stand up and work some when the pain gets bad.
    Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Yes!!!! It gets to be extremely uncomfortable at times. I do have an exercise ball that I use to sit on, but I am afraid to sit on it now. I will start sitting on it again here in a few weeks time. I have found putting my feet up helps, along with a heating pad on the back of my chair helps a ton. Otherwise I would probably look like a crumpled up old witch since it is only the right side of my back that freaks out on me.
  • imageStokedWifey:
    I'm a good bit behind you, but am feeling this too.  I get up and walk for 5 minutes or so every hour and keep my feet propped up on my CPU as much as possible.  I actually stand up and work some when the pain gets bad.

same

diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I find that if I get up to walk around for a few minutes every hour, my back is usually pretty ok.  It really helps with the swelling in my feet too.
  • I was having really bad back pains from 20 weeks on and I asked my boss if I could have a new char with back support and a foot rest.  I finally did get a new chair and a foot support about 3 weeks ago, and though I'm still a bit uncomfortable, I feel way better than I felt then.  So it doesn't hurt to ask.  Employers will try to accommodate you in fear of workman's comp claims, so you may want to try.

Also, as others have said, please make it a point to get up and walk around often.  It helps tremendously. 

Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • I sit most of the day and by about 1pm, my back is usually killing me! I've just gotten into the habit of going home and soaking in a warm bath for awhile to help ease the pain.
  • I feel your pain! I can't seem to find ANY comfortable position! My back hurts on my right side in my ribcage and my ribcage also hurts in the front on that ride side right under my boob! If I slouch forward the front kills and if I sit up stright the back kills! Its awful :(

Plus, I work with ALL men except one other girl who has never been pregnant, so no one understands!

• I love my yoga ball. I sit in an office chair for 8 hours a day and the pain gets to be pretty bad. The baby is already sitting low so I was getting back pain and hip pain. I brought in a yoga ball a couple weeks ago and I love it. I can roll my hips side to side when they start getting stiff. I can adjust my posture when my back starts to get sore. The only thing is I'm short and I got the ball recommended for my height so now I sit a little lower at my desk than before. I wish I would have gone for the bigger ball.

Plus.. when I'm bored and about to fall asleep at 3pm I can bounce. lol

• I was going to get an excersize ball, just keep forgetting lol...

I try to get up for walks about once an hour... that seems to help my back a ton! GL! 

• I'm not in a chair all day, but I get horrible rib pain if I sit too long in front of the computer.  I get up and do random things every so often.  Also, I keep a very firm pillow shoved into my ribs.  I don't know why, but this helps.  I look silly, but I don't care.
  • imagelewispm:

I feel your pain! I can't seem to find ANY comfortable position! My back hurts on my right side in my ribcage and my ribcage also hurts in the front on that ride side right under my boob! If I slouch forward the front kills and if I sit up stright the back kills! Its awful :(

Plus, I work with ALL men except one other girl who has never been pregnant, so no one understands!

I could have written this word for word! Glad I'm not the only one with frontal rib pain! OUCH!!!

• Yoga ball makes it tolerable. Keep the pump handy to refill when needed. Male sure to get up and walk around every hour or so before the pain has a chance to really set in. Do your pelvic tilts. 

If I keep up on those things I can make it through the day. If not I am a crunched sad lady.  

• i feel the exact same way and no matter what I do it still ends up hurting.  I was going to bring in a yoga ball as well since it is so nice to use it at home BUT my work will not allow me to (they are worried about possible injuries).
  • If you can swing this chair, ladies, I promise it will help you.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/Realspace-PRO-Quantum-Mesh-Mid-Back/?cm_cat=2000000361

I've had this chair for about 4 years and have minimal back issues, even now that I'm pregnant.  I used to sit in one of those "cushy" leather chairs, but they ended up feeling hard on my tailbone, and eventually lower back.

This chair has a mesh, springy bottom that doesn't put pressure on your tailbone or lower back.  It's adjustable in height, the back is adjustable, and it even adjusts to slide the bottom away from the back if necessary.  I swear, this is the last office chair you'll ever buy.  It's expensive, but sooooo worth it.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I switched chairs after months of pain & it made a huge difference. Could you hunt around and see if there is one with better support?
    Mommy to Anniston (3), Eden (1), and baby on the way. Angel baby 4/2013
  • I have a chair that reclines back quit a bit and I put my feet up on a trash can under my desk with a pillow over it so it's chushy..  Some days are better than others but I am always achy when 2pm comes around. I imagine it will only get worse.
  • Thank you! I work from home so the chair is all my own doing. I am thinking of getting something similar to this  https://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-Inc-Adjustable-Exercise-Chair/dp/B002ZW55PG/ref=as_li_tf_mfw?&linkCode=wey&tag=gearfirproduc-20 , my friend was pregnant with twins and used it with her yoga ball. She said it really helped and I think it also helped her go into labor on her own. 
  • I'm with you!! I'm in my chair all day long. I put my feet up on an upside down recycling bin and also get up as much as I can. The last few weeks of work are always torture. Looking forward to my last day...a month from today!
    Julie... Mommy to a beautiful baby girl & 2 handsome boys!! image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was in an office chair with my last pregnancy. Everyone thinks it's easier to be able to sit all day, but honestly I was much more uncomfortable with my last pregnancy. (I run a home daycare now so you'd think it would be worse THIS time.) I found standing up and walking around as much as possible to be helpful. I also found a heating pad to help. I never thought of a yoga ball. I would think that feels a lot better!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Rather than having my feet on the floor, I find it more comfortable to sit cross-legged in my chair.  That way I can actually lean into the back of my chair.  But I think this only works for me because I'm kind of short and the office chairs tend to be built for someone who is abotu 5'10.
  • I have my little garbage can under my desk that I put my feet up on, and I make an effort to stay conscious of my posture and make sure I;m not hunching over my keyboard while I type. Also I have a reminder on my Outlook that tells me to get up and walk once every hour.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I only ever sat on an exercise ball, and I'd say it was beneficial. They're pretty inexpensive to get.

claudia poirier
    Little Dude: 16 Apr. 2009 | Little Doll: 10 Jun. 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"