April 2011 Moms

Starting Daycare at One

Hello ,

I never post anything but I often come here for advice. There is always someone here going through the same things I am until now ...

My LO was staying with her great grandmother since I when back to work when she was six months. Great Grandmother can not longer keep her so she started daycare on Monday and it is not going so well. She currently in the one year old room and her teacher saids she wants to be held all day. Should asked them to move to the baby room pr do you think she will adjust ?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Starting Daycare at One

• She will adjust.  Babies are very resilient.  I had to switch my LO to a different day care at 10 months, she cried the first 2 weeks but now she goes in just fine.  I say give her some more time, but wanting to be held is not a bad thing.  What is the day care doing to meet her needs? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She will adjust.  A friend of mine had to switch her baby to a new daycare at 14 months (from a small in home daycare with 2 kids to a traditional daycare center) and it took about 2 weeks for her to settle in. I believe they did start her in the infant room because she was more needy, but they were able to move her to the transitional room after two weeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Agree that she will adjust. After my friend moved, her 1-year-old daughter was home with dad for about 5 months. Then she went back to daycare and screamed a lot for the first week. She's completely fine now.
  • And I think moving your baby to the infant room now will only cause another unnecessary transition. It might be a rough few days but in the end it will be fine!
  • We are going through the same thing although DD is in the infant room as she isn't walking.  The first week was horrible, it's gotten a little better each week.  She still cries at drop off (I think this is week 4) but has a good day, eats well, and even naps in the crib.  Hang in there!
  • I think you will see a big difference after 2 wks.  Starting daycare is an adjustment for both the child and the parents. GL!
  • She will adjust! If you feel good about the daycare, then she is fine. She will be clingy at school and at home for awhile, but it will get better.

My first child was in and out of daycare the first 3 years of his life. I was teaching so I pulled him out for the summers and put him back when school started. He always went through a period like this when he started back up.

Good luck and hang in there! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"