3rd Trimester

Measuring 2 weeks ahead

... I know the bump says your not in your third tri till 28 weeks. But At my 25 week check up they told me that I hit my third tri at 25 weeks. So here I AM third tri! I am excited to be here.

Well I dont know if this is normal or if it means that I am going to deliver early but my doctor told me that I was measuring 2 weeks ahead and in my ultrasound they had measured babies weight at 2 lbs already.... So I was 25 weeks but he measured me at 27.... Has this happened to any of you? Should I be thinking that this baby is gonna come 2 weeks early?

Re: Measuring 2 weeks ahead

• I don't think measuring ahead changes your due date.  It has more to do with the size of your uterus and the baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No if you are measuring 2 weeks ahead your due date will be sooner then you were originally expecting. If the baby was measuring less than two weeks your due date would stay the same, but once the baby is two weeks ahead in growth they have to change your due date to a sooner one. My baby is on the verge of being 2 weeks ahead but she hasn't quit hit that mark yet.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • is baby measuring 2 weeks ahead based on u/s or fundal height?

measurements after the 12th week on u/s are not as accurate because baby starts growing on their own curve.  Could be your baby is just larger or even the measurements are off. 

My fundal height measurement was 34 at 32 weeks and my LO was measuring 10 days ahead via u/s but my EDD is not changing.  I am likely just having a bigger baby this time (both of my previous babies were under 7lbs)

My BF was measuring 2 weeks ahead from week 28-39.  She was told her baby was going to be close to 10lbs...she gave birth after 39 weeks to a 7lb12oz baby.

How you measure does not relate to when you give birth.  You could measure 2 weeks ahead and still go to 41weeks

• Baby being bigger doesn't mean baby is any more developed.  That's like saying "My 6 month old is the size of a 1 year old so we just say he's 1."  Your due date is an estimate so, of course, you may go earlier...or later.  But it won't have to do with your baby being a little bigger than the norm.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• No, it doesn't mean your baby will come early.  My baby is above average in growth ultrasounds but my due date didn't change.  Babies grow at different rates after the 1st tri.  You could very well still deliver after your due date.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • imageelmoali:
    Baby being bigger doesn't mean baby is any more developed.  That's like saying "My 6 month old is the size of a 1 year old so we just say he's 1."  Your due date is an estimate so, of course, you may go earlier...or later.  But it won't have to do with your baby being a little bigger than the norm.

This! Once you start reaching the end of 2nd Tri, then genetics and other factors start plaing a role in the size of your baby (hence why they do dating u/s very early on). You just have a larger baby.  

Photobucket
  • My LO has always measured at least a week ahead, but my due date has never changed. The u/s tech said that he would likely be over a 9 pound baby if I go to my due date, but u/s measurements can be way off. If your LO is measuring big it doesn't make you any further along, it just means you might have a larger baby.

Unless, of course, you didn't do a dating u/s in first tri and you were unsure of when your period was and you think your dates truly are off...then there's a possibility you're further along, I guess.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My LO is measuring 3 weeks ahead. Dr said it has nothing to do with the baby coming early.  It means the baby is bigger than average at that week.  Also, Dr said fundal height measurement isn't accurate until week 32ish so at my week 33 appt they ordered me a measurement u/s to do measurements on the baby as fundal height could be off for many reasons.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Measuring by the fundal height, my baby has been 2 or more weeks ahead for the past two months.  A few weeks ago, she was measuring 4 weeks ahead so they did a growth u/s only to find that she must have been stretching or something when the fundal height was taken because she appears right on track.  Sometimes it all has to do with the way your baby is positioned when they measure.  If not the position, then you will probably just have a larger baby as pp have said.  Best wishes!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If the information was based solely on fundal height, it could also mean that you have some excess amnio fluid (which shouldn't be an issue - if it was, your doctor would say something), in which case measuring ahead wouldn't even be related to a larger baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Unless you were unsure of your dates originally, it really doesn't mean much. I wouldn't get your hopes up that you're going to go early. Though I would still try to be somewhat ready by 36w.

I find it interesting reading these posts too, because it really just depends on what normal sizes are in your region. Around us, the average baby is 8 1/2 lbs. so if you're baby is measuring that way, you are right on track. If you go just a couple hours away that would be a bigger baby and you might measure ahead. I measured on track last time and had an 8lb. 6oz. baby at 39w3d and he predicts a similar sized (maybe a little bigger) baby again this time. You never know though... 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"