June 2012 Moms

dry, flaky face no matter what i do--anyone?

i exfoliate regularly, use a mild wash, and have been slathering on coconut oil every night but my forehead is so dry and flaky! i'm praying its just hormones and this stops after the baby comes....but i'm not a big fan.

any ideas?

anyone else experiencing this?

diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: dry, flaky face no matter what i do--anyone?

• My skin has been flaky since January! And I hav never had dry skin issues. The only product I have found that helps is CeraVe. I use their hydrating face wash (not the foaming one) and the basic lotion. Both are non-comedogenic, so they won't cause pimples. They are about $11-12 each, but last a long time and have really turned my horrible pregnancy skin around.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• I swear by Clinique moisture surge moisturizer (the pink stuff).  It isn't cheap, but a little goes a long way and it is the only thing that stops my sunburn from peeling on the rare occasion I get a sunburn.  I only wash my face once per day in the morning and then put that before putting on any makeup.  I use Neutrogena makeup remover clothes at night which are very gentle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe try switching to a cream cleanser instead of a regular face wash.  That really helped me this winter.  I use Aveda sensitive cream wash, but I'm pretty sure they have one for dry skin too.
  • I have combination skin (dry, oily, and acne), I am so blessed...Stick out tongue

I use the pro-x spin brush and it has really helped. I use three types of face wash (I switch them up). They all have at least a mild exfoliator to them (St. Ives is the strongest that I have and it feels really great).

I also use the moisture surge from a pp (I know garnier has a similar product and may be more cost affective especially if you are trying it for the first time). I also use a cucumber clay face mask every couple of weeks and that really seems to have the biggest impact on my skin. Maybe go to the drug store and buy a couple to try and give yourself a special facial treatment on the weekends :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• I tried a ton of different things over the last few months, and the only thing that has seemed to work, even over the expensive brands, is the $5 bottle of ponds face cream. I put it on after I shower and my skin is looking very glowy! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also have combo skin, so I get oil slicks and peely spots side by side. It's lovely. (urgh) The best thing I have found is a cleanser with glycolic acid in it. I don't know where you are from, but too get an effective strength in the US you have to buy it from someone who is registered to dispense it. (I got mine at a day spa, but I think you could also find it at a place like Ulta.) Mine was about $20 a bottle, but it has lasted me a very long time. I only use it once per day at most. The key is that you put the wash on when your skin is dry, massage it in a little, then rinse it off with lukewarm water (not hot, not cold). Follow with a light moisturizer. The acid helps clear off makeup residue, dead skin, etc. If you put it on wet skin, the water neutralizes the effect of the acid, and it is not as effective. I have fairly sensitive skin, but this has never bothered me/dried my skin out like Pro-Active and other similar products.

• Yes!  My skin has been so dry for the last 3 months or so, which is very unusal for me because I typically have very, very oily skin.  The three things that seem to help the most are Cereve hydrating cleanser, my Clarisonic brush, and Cetaphil lotion.  The Cetaphil lotion seems to help a lot.  When I don't use it, I look like I'm recovering from a sunburn. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would recommend Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream (not the face moisurizer but the kind that comes in the jar, it is non-comodegenic/dermatologist recommended, etc.).  I had to take Accutane years ago which drys out your skin horribly (so bad it is painful) and this kept my face really hydrated considering.  It was the only way I survived the 5 months I had to take the medication.  There are always samples at the dermatologist office when I go too.  I would also put on moisturizer right after the shower in the morning (if you don't already) as I feel that really seals the moisture in for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My dermatologist told me to wash my hair with Head and Shoulders shampoo, and then let the suds rinse down my face.  She says this is some of the best and gentlest treatment for this type of thing.  Do it three times a week and avoid very hot water on your face.
  • I have dry/oily/sensitive combo skin.  I love witch hazel.  It helps a ton with the dryness, but doesn't make my skin break out or get oily. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"