June 2012 Moms
Options

Horrible back pain when I wake up.....

So I am a little concerned about this back pain that I am getting . Must start off by saying this is my first pregnancy - so I am hoping that I can get some veteran advice...lol.  I have tried the "body pillow" , and sleep on my side . I usually wake up at 2 or 3 am on my back, body pillow on the floor (nice huh) and bad back pain. I grab the pillow and try again. when I wake for work at 5:45 am I am in such pain that it takes me 20 minutes just to get moving.

Are there any suggestions? Is this totally normal?  I do not want to go to the doctor for them to say sorry theres nothing you can do...... I am just concerned that if it is this bad at 31 weeks - where will I be at 35?

Hope all of you mommies to be are hanging in there :) June is coming up quickly!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Horrible back pain when I wake up.....

• Options

This was me exactly last week.  Things I have learned:

1) Use ice about 3x's a day for 10-15 mins (Don't use heat, it draws blood away from the placenta.
    2) I've gone to the chiropractor twice now, I'm pretty sure its helping.
    3) I've put an extra pillow under my head, and then one of those small decorative pillows under my bad (or back/side if I am sleeping on my side) and that has really helped also.  

The pain hasn't gone away but it is much more tolerable now.  Last week I had to get up in the middle of the night because my back ached so bad.   

BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy
  • Options
    imageLoskadoodle:

1) Use ice about 3x's a day for 10-15 mins (Don't use heat, it draws blood away from the placenta.
    3) I've put an extra pillow under my head, and then one of those small decorative pillows under my bad (or back/side if I am sleeping on my side) and that has really helped also.  

The pain hasn't gone away but it is much more tolerable now.  Last week I had to get up in the middle of the night because my back ached so bad.   

Thanks....I definitely need to try something. At this point I feel like maybe a chiropractor will help. I will try the ice and extra pillows first :) Thanks again!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you exercise?  Swimming has really helped me stay loose, as well as prenatal yoga.  I've also heard good things about the chiropractor and used to love going before I got pregnant.  That could help you.  And maybe try a normal pillow or a square throw pillow between your legs?  That might help keep you in line and be harder to find and toss off the bed.
  • Options
    imageLoskadoodle:

Everything I've read seems to say that heat is ok on the back.  I use a tube sock filled with uncooked rice which I heat in the microwave for a minute or two.  That helps when I'm really uncomfortable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary image
  • Options

Lately I've been using a pillow under my head, one under my rib/abs area, one in between my legs, and a small one to rest my top arm on when on my side. I would get all twisted up in my body pillow when I used it. The pillow for my arm seems to be helping to straighten out my spine.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"