VBAC

So frustrated about VBAC options right now...LONG

A little backstory: for my first pregnancy I went to a great office that had OBs and midwives. I saw midwives for prenatal care as I was planning a natural birth. I ended up with a CS due to fetal distress coupled with FTP. I got to the hospital at 8 cm, so clearly my body was progressing, but DD was not cooperating. I think the FD/FTP were caused by my DD's positioning, she never descended into the birth canal and when the OB took her out, she said that DD was really stuck in there and sunny side up. I mention all that to say that I truly believe had I birthed at a birth center (there were none in the area at the time) I would not have had continuous monitoring that kept me tethered to a bed, therefore I would have been able to try different labor positions to get her to move which would have helped me progress and she wouldn't have gone into distress. *sigh* Either way, they were fully supportive of a VBAC and I loved the practice and would have gone back in a heartbeat.

Fast forward to two years later, we have moved to a different state. I honestly would prefer to birth in a birth center, but the nearest one is over an hour away. That doesn't bother me for labor, but they require you to have prenatal appts there too. Money is tight and the gas prices here are ridic, plus I'd have to take a toddler an hour each way in addition to hoping she'll behave during the appts. I tried calling them twice to see if there was any way the midwives could work with me but I haven't heard back from them. Plus, I don't even know if my insurance covers them. *sigh*

I've had horrible luck calling around to OBs in the area. I did have an appt with a practice a few weeks ago, but they won't do VBACs because the hospital they deliver at is not equipped (no NICU, no on-call anesthesiologist) I called a couple today, one is supposed to get back to me. The other practice, I spoke to a nurse and she basically couldn't answer any of my VBAC questions and told me the docs won't answer my questions without me coming in for an appointment. But guess this? they're fully booked until June.

I really don't want to wait another 4-6 weeks to finally get an appt, then talk to the doc, find out they are not VBAC friendly and have to go through this process all over again. I know some people change practices late in pregnancy but I've already seen two practices (we just moved last month, so I saw an OB where I lived previously) and at this point I just want to find my provider so I can get continued care and start prepping for this baby.

kudos to you if you got through all that. *sigh* 

imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: So frustrated about VBAC options right now...LONG

• Sorry you're going through all that!  My c/s story is extremely similar to yours.  I ended up going with a private midwife for my VBAC and had my baby at a friend's house (since we live more than 30 min from the nearest hospital).  Have you considered/looked into home birth midwives in your area?  Is the an ICAN chapter for your area/region you can contact to get recommendations for providers?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • It sounds like you've done all your research and are taking all the right steps.  It just sounds really frustrating.   I hope you can find a provider that works for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I took my dd to many of my prenatal appointments with my midwives.  They are used to it.  No one every made me feel bad that I was lugging a kid or 2 around with me. I also used to travel an hour to see them.  Traveling sucked but it was worth it.

I second contacting ICAN.  They may be able to give you some suggestions so you aren't spinning your wheels so to speak.

R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"