June 2012 Moms
Options

Do you plan on freezing meals before LO gets here?

If so, do you have any recipes you want to share? People keep telling me that making stuff ahead of time is a great idea, but I am not always sure what you can freeze and what doesn't work so well.

TIA

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Do you plan on freezing meals before LO gets here?

• Options
    Yes I am.  My aunts did a cook in with me with DS that was really cool.  We did lasagna, pork chops, al gratin potatoes, meatloaf, and baked chicken.  It all worked out great too.  We just had those steamer sides that go right in the microwave too.  All basic recipes, nothing spectacular.
  • Options
    I was going to, but given the fact that it is going to be nice outside, and we do a fair amount of grilling during the summer, I think we will just stock up on grillable freezer stuff and let the sides float in the breeze for whatever sounds good at the time. Plus, I'm limited in the amount of freezer space I have given the fact that my chest freezer is FULL to the top with venison and elk meat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, my DH is the cook in our family and we pretty much grill every night.  That won't change when the baby comes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageBabybear70:
    I was going to, but given the fact that it is going to be nice outside, and we do a fair amount of grilling during the summer, I think we will just stock up on grillable freezer stuff and let the sides float in the breeze for whatever sounds good at the time. Plus, I'm limited in the amount of freezer space I have given the fact that my chest freezer is FULL to the top with venison and elk meat.

Oh man, grilling sounds like an excellent idea!!!! 

• Options
    sam19sam19 member
    No. It seems like a lot of work. lol. We'll have a lot of family help and my husband will make dinners for a while probably. I'm not stressing about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Options
    We also plan on grilling out. I might make a dish or two... but it's going to be hot so I would much rather stock up on frozen veggies and rice etc... and get stock up on frozen meats so we can grill out as well. I really don't want to be putting the oven on when its 90 degrees and humid... yuck!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As a working mom, preparing a freezer stash is part of my normal routine. I spend one Saturday preparing freezer meals. It has been such a time saver for me.  I use the site onceamonthmom.com.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We aren't doing freezer meals. They just never seem to taste as good IMO. Plus DH loves to cook so as long as I keep the house stocked up with good stuff we should be fine.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I always have meals in the freezer.  I'm a big fan of the crockpot, so we always eat some and freeze some.

I already have ~3 of each of the following in the freezer:  lasagna, bolognese raju, beef stroganoff, Mac 'n' Cheese

Over the next few weeks, I will add: Marinara, french onion soup, banana bread

Then, I always have some frozen foods like meatballs, pierogies, frozen shrimp, crab, fish sticks and a few other things that cook up into quick meals.

• Options
    We will also probably do most dinners on the grill once the baby comes (we do this anyway in the summer). But I do plan on making some freezer meals also- mainly so that I'll have lunch options when DH is not around to grill for me.
  • Options
    Nope, I didn't last time and don't plan on it this time either. I like to cook (most of the time) but I figure while I am taking care of dinner DD can help me or be with DH and DH can be with the baby or both. It will be good time for DH with them.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  

• Options
    definitely.  not making more freezer meals was one of my #1 regrets when i had DS. my DH doesn't really cook, so we were kinda screwed. i've never eaten more hardboiled eggs and toast in my life! those people that brought us meals were a godsend....but even that only lasted a week or two.  i literally live across the street from a grocery store but between a newborn and recovering that was even too far.  i'd recommend prepping more food than you think! unless you have a DH that is really great in that dept (which i don't :)
    diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageArkansasMom22:

I have never been a fan of freezing fresh meats since it deteriorates the quality, and I prefer to utilize fresh veggies and proteins. Plus I guess the items that many people freeze are not dishes I typically make anyways. DH is a professional chef and is not big on freezer meals either.  

Like PPs have said, we love to grill in the summer and use fresh ingredients from the farmers market. You can easily grill a fresh protein, some veggies and then use microwave rice or something like that and have a quick, easy, no mess meal. It gets hot here in the summer, and the thought of having the stove on for hours to reheat/cook something is also why i prefer to grill.

Those first few weeks after the c-section, I couldn't go to the store, since you're not allowed to drive for 2 weeks.  So, swinging out and grabbing fresh food from a market was out of the question.  And DH was doing everything he could to get home sooner to see DD.  So, while it might by offensive to the palette, having a few things in the freezer is not a bad idea.   But we also don't have nearby family and DH was commuting 4 hours/day.  So, situations might be different.

• Options

I did last time and I'm doing it again this time.  Last time I was an insane 9 month pregnant nesting freak of nature and did Once-A-Month-Cooking on my own (with some help from DH) shopping and all.  It was awful and I vowed not to do that again.  This time I'm ordering some meals from Dream Dinners.  They are freezer meals and all you do is pick out what you want and then go assemble them in their store.  They have all the ingredients lined up and it's super easy as they do all the shopping for you.  If you don't want to assemble, they'll even do that for you for an extra fee. 

In addition, I'm making some meals myself that aren't as labor intensive like meatloaves, chicken tetrazini, breaded pork chops, BBQ ribs, honey chicken skewers, etc. We also just simply put chicken/pork/steaks in freezer bags with our favorite marinades and froze and we use those when we want to grill out for a quick meal in nice weather.  I'm not freezing any chili or too many meals that involve tomato sauce b/c I plan to breastfeed and my DD didn't do well with tomatoes in the first couple of months while I was nursing.

~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    I'm going to have a few prepared--- maybe a baked ziti, chicken parm, macaroni & cheese... but we also like to grill in the summer and DH works across the street from a really great meat market, so it wont be hard for him to swing by there on his way home from work and throw something on the grill.  Also, my Mom will be in town for a week or so after the baby is born and I think she will end up cooking a lot for us.
  • Options
    I was going to, but then someone told me that they found it much easier and more delicious to just make a ton of crock pot meals after LO was born - that way they were fresher and had more variety (since only a few things freeze well). I think we'll just be doing that (not to mention the fact that we have pretty limited freezer space, unfortunately).
  • Options
    We order our groceries online and DH picks them up.  It's super simple and always lets us have fresh meats to grill and fresh veggies to steam or grill on the side.  I wouldn't even attempt to grocery shop right after having a baby...that's what online shopping is for!

• Options

I started this past weekend! So far in the freezer I have creamy quinoa primavera, lentil meatloaf, mediterrean vegetable casserole, broccoli cheese biscuit cups, lentil and carrot stew, and vegetable lasagna. I still plan on making some vegetable enchiladas, muffins for breakfast, pinto bean burgers, and maybe some more things too.

My DH helped me with a lot of the prep work. Most of these are recipes we regularly use (vegetarians) but I got a few from onceamonthmom.com. Towards the end of maternity leave I definitely plan on making more to stock pile before going back to work!

• Options
    BRBR member

Yes, I am going to start in the next couple of weeks.  I love to cook and know I will miss home cooked meals when I don't have time to make them.  I am making:  muffins, black bean  burgers, enchiladas, baked pasta, and meatloaf.  Some of the recipes came from here:

https://www.marthastewart.com/274277/freezer-friendly-foods#/261709

• Options
    Nope. Grilling, salads, peanut butter and jellies, and the bar/grill down the street will be sufficient for me. I have a tiny freezer and it will be too hot to heat up the oven.
  • Options
    We also plan on doing a lot of grilling, so I am planning to do pack some chicken, steak, pork chops, etc.  and freezing them in ziploc bags with marinade already in it.  Between the freezing and thawing, they will have ample time to marinate and will be ready to throw on the grill. 
  • Options

imageSummerMama12:
    No, my DH is the cook in our family and we pretty much grill every night.  That won't change when the baby comes.

Us too. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options

Nope, no frozen meals here.  MIL brought us a few after we had DS and it was nice, but I don't have the time to get a bunch of meals together ahead of time.  DH and I tend to do a lot of take-out anyways because DH and I both work kind of long hours and neither of us feel like cooking. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Nope, I ddint' with 1 or 2 either. I'm not a huge fan of freezing stuff. The first week my mom will be here so she'll get us dinner each night. The 2nd week which is july 4th week, dh will be home and we'll grill out the whole week. After that i'll be cooking again. I was back to doing everythign normal after a 1 1/2wks the last 2 times.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagej.d.gal:

imagemkflower3000:
    I was going to, but then someone told me that they found it much easier and more delicious to just make a ton of crock pot meals after LO was born - that way they were fresher and had more variety (since only a few things freeze well). I think we'll just be doing that (not to mention the fact that we have pretty limited freezer space, unfortunately).

i found a site somewhere (that I need to go find again) for freezing pre-assembled crock pot ingredients.  I am going to do this for sure.  When you are ready, you judt dump everything in the crock pot and turn it on.  Much easier than running out to get ingredients. 

That's a really good idea! I'll see if I can find it too! 

• Options
    Yes, but I only have a few recipes / ideas so far. I need to find more. :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagedoxgirl:
    As a working mom, preparing a freezer stash is part of my normal routine. I spend one Saturday preparing freezer meals. It has been such a time saver for me.  I use the site onceamonthmom.com.

I am a FTM but I use onceamonthmom for me and DH already, I love that they have the different menus. If you follow them on pinterest they have tons of amazing recipes on there plus you get to see a picture of each recipe which helps me if I'm making something new.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"