June 2011 Moms
Options

How are you keeping LOs meals balanced?

I've gotten into a food rut with LO.  I feel like I give her the same thing every single day for lunch with very little variation.  She eats whatever we're having for dinner, so she gets a good variety there, but I'm really having trouble figuring out what to give her for lunches.  I want to follow the guideline of protein + fruit/veggie and maybe a  starch.  My main struggle is with protein.

What are you all giving LO for meals to keep the meal balanced?  I think DD is sick of baked chicken pieces and noodles :)

photo Untitled-1_zps25768757.jpg 

BabyFruit Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: How are you keeping LOs meals balanced?

• Options

We have done:

meatballs

string cheese

fruit (bananas, strawberries, blue berries)

goldfish crackers

ham (not deli but real cooked ham)

veggies (carrots, avocados, peas)

I know we have given her more... but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    akayfakayf member

Breakfast during the week is usually oatmeal mixed with a fruit puree.   Then he's get some cheerios or some cut up fruit.    On weekends, I'll make him an egg yolk omlet with cheese and maybe some ham or black beans...depends on what we have in the fridge.

For lunch, on the days he goes to my MIL he'll usually have leftovers from the night before.  The 3 days that he goes to the babysitter, he gets purees(very very chunky ones...finger feeding makes her nervous)

Dinner he normally gets what we eat.

Some easy ideas for lunch are, chunks of tofu, any type of bean(black, red, kidney, lentils), and grilled cheese.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am in the same boat. I feel like all we give her is fruit and veggies with no real meat. She doesn't really like just meat so I have been mixing it in a grilled cheese sandwhich and she loves it that way.
  • Options

imageDiver0214:
    I am in the same boat. I feel like all we give her is fruit and veggies with no real meat. She doesn't really like just meat so I have been mixing it in a grilled cheese sandwhich and she loves it that way.

This is a great idea!  I also love the beans suggestion.  Thanks, ladies!

photo Untitled-1_zps25768757.jpg 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I struggle for ideas too. I do veggie nuggets, beans, veggie pasta, yogurt, veggies, bananas, blueberries. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MrsIMrsI member
    I'm sure not everyone will like this idea but DD loves original Vienna sausages.  They are like mini hot dogs without the skin.  Very similar to the gerber ones but lots cheaper.  They are by the canned meats, ie tuna.
  • Options
    My DD loves her protein! Beans, cheese, yogurt, chicken, ham, venison, etc. I try to send some form of protein to DC too, usually leftovers from the night before (hamburgers, grilled chicken, eggs, etc). I find that my food struggle is veggies. She is getting pickier and seems to only like peas.

• Options

imageOpheliaChem:
    My DD loves her protein! Beans, cheese, yogurt, chicken, ham, venison, etc. I try to send some form of protein to DC too, usually leftovers from the night before (hamburgers, grilled chicken, eggs, etc). I find that my food struggle is veggies. She is getting pickier and seems to only like peas.

This.  LO will usually scarf meat, carbs, and fruit... Veggies are still a little tough.  I usually have to give him them in puree form (mixed with prunes) or disguise them with cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich.  If I give him regular sweet potatoes, he's fine, but anything green he'll put in his mouth and just play with it falls out.  Booo.

• Options
    klvklv member
    Hannah eats a lot of carrots and sweet potato chunks. I also spread mashed banana on toast because she will not eat banana chunks. We tried soy yogurt today which she loves (crossing fingers that it doesn't give her gas). I feel like we are in a rut too. I give her the same things all the time. She loves food but so much of it gives her gas.
  • Options
    I do a lot of the things other people mention plus if I need an easy protein to give her I make a sunflower butter sandwich on toast. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options

For breakfast I often give LO some plain Greek yogurt, then mix in fruit pieces or fruit puree; lots of protein.

Not limited to breakfast but a frequent breakfast go-to!

A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"