Postpartum Depression

Anyone have significant difficulty sleeping?

I cannot believe how much difficulty I am having with sleeping. I can't seem to get on the right combinations to put me to sleep and stay asleep all night. This is exactly what happened to me with my first, except I had extreme PPD/PPA then. I don't seem to have that now, though in the middle of the night I experience extreme anxiety!

I have gotten to the point where I don't have to wake up during the night to pump or feed (I made it 8 hours last night) as I think that might have been a trigger in my not being able to go back to sleep.  My husband is fine with getting up with DD (she usually wakes up anywhere from 2-4) and I get up with my DS when he wakes up.  However, I've been falling asleep at around 10, and waking up anywhere from 2-4 and then completely unable to go back to sleep without a solid dose of meds like Trazodone and Ativan (safe for BFing). I'm not sure what else I can get take or to do to get me to fall back asleep when I wake up. 

In the past, I had horrible racing thoughts and anxiety, and depression.  This time around I'm simply not sleeping. I am mad that I can't sleep, and disappointed and feel broken and like a loser and all that, but I don't have the crippling depression (thank goodness).  

Help! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone have significant difficulty sleeping?

• I am having major sleep problems the past few nights too. Last night LO slept a great 5 hour stretch...and I was lying awake the whole time. None of my usual "natural" tricks worked (meditation, herbal remedies, homeopathic, etc). It's the worst. I am not on medication yet, but after talking to my doctor an hour ago, they are prescribing me something similar (ativan maybe?) for tonight and then starting Welbutrin for the anxiety that sets in every day around 4-5pm and doesn't let up. For me the lack of sleep is the worst. It makes everything else that happens during the day just off. I, too, do not have what I would call depression, it's just this anxiety that is completely awful at night. So I guess this post isn't much of help except to say I feel your pain!
  • imagejulieruns15:
    I am having major sleep problems the past few nights too. Last night LO slept a great 5 hour stretch...and I was lying awake the whole time. None of my usual "natural" tricks worked (meditation, herbal remedies, homeopathic, etc). It's the worst. I am not on medication yet, but after talking to my doctor an hour ago, they are prescribing me something similar (ativan maybe?) for tonight and then starting Welbutrin for the anxiety that sets in every day around 4-5pm and doesn't let up. For me the lack of sleep is the worst. It makes everything else that happens during the day just off. I, too, do not have what I would call depression, it's just this anxiety that is completely awful at night. So I guess this post isn't much of help except to say I feel your pain!

I started my day around 2:30 this morning. My DD slept from 10-5 and while my DS woke up around 3am (he's having sleeping issues too!) I should have been able to get a full night's sleep and I couldn't.  It's horrible.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS is only 11 days old and I feel constant worry about him and I hate it when he whines, especially when he's full fledged crying. I don't mind being alone with him for so long but after a while, I start to feel like I need someone else. Like maybe I'm going to do something wrong or forget to feed him or SOMETHING. (I'd NEVER hurt him though!) And then I went a full 48 hours without sleeping and my SO told me he'd take care of LO while I slept. It took me an hour to fall asleep but once I did, I was only asleep for a couple hours, if that, and then woke up. 

Then this morning I slept from 7 to 10 and when I finally got out of bed at about 11, my mom was feeding baby with some formula. My PPD has made it really hard to EBF like I thought I wanted to do.

I feel like I'm on a downward spiral )': 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"