VBAC

First time posting on this board!

JMTTCJMTTC member

Hi all! 

My name is Lauren.  A quick version of my birth story:

Sunday: Went into the hospital and started cervadil

Monday: full day of pitocin - made it to a whopping 2 cm!

Tuesday: More pitocin, got an epidural and finally made it to 10cm around 8pm, pushed for 4 hours...cord was wrapped around his neck and he was sunny side up, oh, and I was really tired!

Wednesday at 12:07am: emergency c-section and my DS was born after me being preggers for 42 weeks!

My body never went into labor; and I always think that if I was pregnant back in the olden days, I would have died of being pregnant for too long!

Anyways, I never really considered a vbac until today when I had my first appt with a new ob for my second pregnancy.  She asked my thoughts on vbac-ing or a scheduled c/s and I said a scheduled c/s.  She said if I did go into labor before my scheduled c/s I always have the option to try for a vbac...Which has now got me thinking.  I would love to not be sliced open; I would love to be able to walk around after giving birth and not be in excruciating pain, but I am so darn scared.  I'm scared of that 1 in a million chance that my uterus will tear or something while I'm trying to vbac and something bad will happen.  

Does anyone else have this fear? Or is it just me?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First time posting on this board!

• I think everyone has that thought of rupturing at one time or another.  But any woman who had a previous c/s has a chance of rupturing whether or not you opt to schedule a RCS and actually women who have NEVER had a c/s could also rupture.  There are other risks (such as cord prolapse) that are not VBAC specific and can happen in any pregnancy that are more likely (and still NOT likely).

Better not to focus on the fractions of risks and go with what you feel is the safest and best way for you to deliver.  Bring questions back at your next visit and discuss it.  Good luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • JMTTCJMTTC member
    Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, we have almost the exact same birth story...started cervadil on Sunday (almost 42weeks), DD born via C-section Wednesday morning at 9am... and all the stuff in between, including the complete exhaustion.  

I have a different perspective on going 42+ weeks.  I think in the olden days, we wouldn't have been pressured by an artificial schedule.  Our bodies and our LOs would have decided when they were ready.  I really feel like my induction significantly contributed to my outcome.

As far as fear goes, I'm definitely nervous.  But, I'm also aware that all birth is risky and any birth after a c-section is more risky.  I'd rather give myself a chance at not having another major surgery and even further complicating future pregnancies.

• I agree with PP...it is a normal fear, but tbh I'm far more afraid of a second C-section. Lots can go wrong during a c-section. Not to needlessly scare you, but I know one woman who never lost feeling during her section and they wouldn't believe her...when they finally did it was too late and they had to get the baby out, and only then did they give her general.

And the chance of rupture are 0.04% higher after 1 c-section. That isn't much at all! 

If it helps, I considered home birth this time, and (reputable) midwives are INCREDIBLY cautious about anything that could increase risks in a home birth, because not only is your life on the line, but their livelihood is as well (and they could even be charged and serve prison time if something goes wrong), and they have to live with the decisions they've made. I decided to go with a hospital birth this time because I adore and trust my doctor that much, but I think if I am safe enough for a home birth, I'm safe enough to VBAC in a hospital.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"