June 2012 Moms
Options

where does baby ride? FTM here!

Hey girls, We got our car seat this weekend and are super excited to get at least the base all strapped in, but I dont know which side to put it in on? Does your LO ride behind the driver seat or passenger seat? and Why? Thanks
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: where does baby ride? FTM here!

• Options
    Check your car manual.  The safest place in general is the middle but my car does not recommed the middle due to the fact that the middle seat pops up to make a cup holder it can make the seat not level.  Right now my DD is on the passenger side because she is RF in a large carseat and I like to have the driver seat back a little more than that allows for.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Middle is safest, but some vehicles do not allow for that. Read your vehicle's owner's manual before deciding. If you can't install in the middle, it's really up to you. We put DD on the right side because my DH sleeps in the car a lot (long story) and needs to be able to recline the driver's seat. Most people put baby on the left side since that's where they get in anyways.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto to check your manual first.  If you have a choice of sides, I would say the right side, behind the passenger seat.  That way when you are driving by yourself you can easily reach diagnally back and hand them things.  I don't know anyone with theirs on the left side, harder to see them right behind you too.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

We put DD in the middle - because that's safest and allowed in my vehicle.

However, now that we'll have two car seats, it's really a dilemma where DD should go.  Here are my thoughts.

Right side benefits:

- Easier access for driver, if DD needs something.

- Loading from the sidewalk side....important if you parallel park a lot. 

- I'm shorter than DH, so there's more room behind the passenger's seat

Left side benefits:

- Easier access for passenger, when traveling as a family on long car trips.

- I can load DD from the sidewalk side and let her get in first, while I load LO#2.  Then I will walk around and belt in DD.  Instead of me having to load her first, leaving LO#2 on the sidewalk, then walk around to load #2.

- The way our middle seatbelt fastens, it's easier to load a heavy infant seat from the passenger side.  So if, DD is on the left, it will be easier for me to load #2.

So, after all that, we're going with the left side.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    For one car seat, the recommendation is usually in the middle. If this is car seat number 2, then we had baby behind the passengers seat so I could put the baby in seat in first then walk older child around to the drivers side with me to strap in before I climbed into the front. Now that this is car seat number 3, it will go in the middle of the two older kids since they both want access to the new baby.
  • Options

There are inspections stations everywhere where they can help you install your seat, teach you about it, and make sure that you're doing it right. You should definitely go to one and make sure that everything is in place correctly - good for peace of mind too!

https://www.nhtsa.gov/cps/cpsfitting/index.cfm 

• Options
    Agree with PP about the middle if possible. If not possible due to your car, then the dirver side is the safest if you were in a head on collision (and probably the safest for most other accident situations because by nature our reflexes are to stear away from the impact (putting ourselves as far away from the other car as possible) if LO is on passenger side you would be inadvertenly putting them at a higher risk. That's my opinion.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS went behind the passenger seat in DHs car because he couldn't drive with the seat behind him. He goes behind the driver seat in my car so DH can not have the dashboard in his lap if we take mine. Now that DH has a larger car, DS will stay my seat and #2 will sit behind him, opposite in my car. Both kids will be rearfacing as long as possible.
    Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Options
    DS is currently behind the passenger seat.  I know middle is safest but we have a tall vehicle and I cannot physically lift him into his seat in the middle with my big belly and my bad back.  We went with the passenger side because 1) it's easier with the layout of our garage and 2) I like to be able to turn around and talk to him/hand him things when we're stopped at red lights, etc.  When we have the new baby I think DS will move behind the driver seat and the infant seat will go on the passenger side because it would be basically impossible to get an infant seat in behind the driver in our garage.  Depending on how my back is post delivery, we may be able to put the new baby in the middle.  Which would be awesome for safty reasons and because then DH could sit in the back with the kids on trips.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    middle
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sam19sam19 member
    With one child, I do the middle. Other then that, it really doesn't matter which side you choose.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Options

My boys were always behind the passenger seat and this baby will be behind hte passenger seat. Our RX you can't put a seat in the middle and our old 2 door explorer you couldn't. The police office that did our carseat inspection told me that if you install the carseat properly and it's an approved/nonexpired/never been in an accident carseat that it is safe in any of the 2-3 positions in the backseat.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks Everyone!!! I never even thought about the middle. In my car the baby can ride in the middle, but in husbands she will have to be on one of the sides! Thanks for all your input! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I kept my DS in the middle, but the baby will probably go behind the passenger seat as my DS sits behind me now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"