Postpartum Depression

What was your first office visit like?

I went to my OB this morning to discuss my postpartum depression. She hardly looked at me at all and just kept type the whole time. The appointment was just very cold and clinical feeling. She did give me a referral to speak with a counselor so I do have an appointment next week. I left there feeling worse than going in.

Also, she gave me a prescription for Zoloft right off the bat. Is it normal that they put you on medication before even seeing a counselor? Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What was your first office visit like?

• My OB was quite the opposite.  He was very understanding, explained that this is very common and that while medications can work, it can often make you feel weird.  He recommended to get therapy and to exercise.  I have had 2 sessions with a psychologist now, she did say I could take zoloft to help with the anxiety and depression.  But she also agreed that I was not so depressed that it was a must.  I instead decided to continue to see her and do nonpharmacological interventions first.  It is already working. I still have my days but I am feeling better, getting out of the house, showering, even put some makeup on today.

Research studies show that therapy is as effective as medications.  Additionally, zoloft and any antidepressent doesn't work right away, it takes about a month for  medications to reach an effective level.  To me, I felt that therapy, exercise, goal setting, etc were worth trying first.  If in a few months I am still anxious, then I might consider medications. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"