June 2012 Moms
Options

Bathing toddler is getting painful!

I have a 2 1/2 year old and giving her a bath makes my back hurt so bad! It's weird that just reaching over the tub that slight bit can hurt so much.

Is anyone else having trouble with this? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bathing toddler is getting painful!

• Options
    I don't have to bathe a toddler, but I've noticed when I clean the bathrooms that my back hurts a whole lot bending over the tub. Are you doing pelvic exercises? That might help with the pain.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    Yup! I tried putting a towel on the floor and kneeling next to the tub, but I can only squat for so long before my legs give out. I've started just getting in the tub with her and taking "family showers" whenever possible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecaeraRose:
    I don't have to bathe a toddler, but I've noticed when I clean the bathrooms that my back hurts a whole lot bending over the tub. Are you doing pelvic exercises? That might help with the pain.

No, it's actually more my upper back that hurts from reaching over. I try to have DH bathe her most of the time, but he works so late a lot of the time that I still have to do it a few times a week. 

• Options
    I had to move where I normally do it. I just sit on the toilet now (it's really close to the tub) to bathe him. Then my tummy can just hang in between my legs. Maybe you could get a little stool or something.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemwitter80:
    I had to move where I normally do it. I just sit on the toilet now (it's really close to the tub) to bathe him. Then my tummy can just hang in between my legs. Maybe you could get a little stool or something.

We actually have a little step stool in there for her to stand on, but it's so low that if my legs are far enough apart to allow my belly to hang through, then I'm too far from the tub to reach! The only way I can get close enough is to just kneel on the floor by the tub. It helps if she stands, but she always wants to sit.

• Options

I get in the tub with DS.  Usually by that time, my back is hurting, but sitting in the tub is very relaxing and refreshing and I feel a lot better after getting out.

Also, do you need to wash her everyday?  Can she just have a play bath day on the days that your DH isn't home to wash her?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I make DH do bathtime.  So DS usually gets a bath a couple times a week on the nights that I'm at work.  I've only done it once or twice since being pregnant again.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Bathing DD2 and putting her to bed are getting painful.  For me, it's the leaning over the edge and the pressure on my stomach.  Other than that, sleeping is my most painful activity - my hips and shoulders can't take a whole lot more of that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't bathe DD anymore--DH does once or twice a week. In between she LOVES taking a shower with me--she has some buckets and cups to catch water and rubber duckies and other random toys in our shower. The bonus is she never wants to get out--so when we are done I let her play with her full buckets of water with the shower off while I get myself ready leisurely. She's usually done playing after 30 minutes or so. It's working well for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageNicholeeK:

I get in the tub with DS.  Usually by that time, my back is hurting, but sitting in the tub is very relaxing and refreshing and I feel a lot better after getting out.

Also, do you need to wash her everyday?  Can she just have a play bath day on the days that your DH isn't home to wash her?  

We usually only give her a bath every other day anyway (unless she's dirty from being outside or something). It just usually happens that on the day that she really needs a bath, he always seems to be extra late getting home and by then it's time for bed, so I have to do it.  

• Options

imagerobinbirdaz:
    I don't bathe DD anymore--DH does once or twice a week. In between she LOVES taking a shower with me--she has some buckets and cups to catch water and rubber duckies and other random toys in our shower. The bonus is she never wants to get out--so when we are done I let her play with her full buckets of water with the shower off while I get myself ready leisurely. She's usually done playing after 30 minutes or so. It's working well for us.

Oh, man...that would be nice! I wish DD would love showers! That would definitely be a lot easier, but she doesn't like the water falling on her head. She would even prefer me to not pour water from a cup onto her head when I'm washing her hair.  

• Options
    DH has to do it now.  First time in the 3 years of DS' life.  I cannot bend over to pick him up and my shoulders and arm ache so much.  You are not alone my friend.  I gave it up around 28 weeks.
  • Options

I try to avoid bathing DS, but sitting on a stool makes it easier when I have to do it.

See if she can wash herself.  Make a game of it.  She'll get clean enough just by sitting in the tub and splashing.  I mostly just wash DS's face if I'm feeling pooped, then he spends the rest of bath time playing with his toys.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    My DD is 2.5 too, and I just put on my swimsuit and get in the tub with her.  I agree with PP that it just is easier to just soak up the suds and relax with her (holding still in one place for once!) than battle the edge of the tub.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    YES!!! Thank Goodness for DH he helps me with bath most nights but when I have to do it, I dread it! Lucky us lol
  • Options
    Family bathing.  I sit in the tub with her while we wash her, then stand to take my shower.  It will work until I can't get up from sitting. :-D
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
     We often use the shower for DS. If he's in the tub, I sit on the edge with my feet/legs in. Usually, DH bathes DS,though and I lotion him up and get him dressed in his jammies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"