June 2012 Moms

Insomnia

I'm about to lose my mind. I can not sleep at night....period. Some nights my RLS drives me crazy. I've tried everything from cutting out caffeine, warm bath, dark, cool room, not drinking fluids late in the evening. I've even tried Ambien on occasions when I was desperate, although I try to avoid that. If this is pregnancy related and will physiologically disappear after the birth, then I can endure this. If not, I am terrified. If you have any tips on what helped you get some restful sleep, besides Benadryl or other otc sleep aids, please it pass on to me. Thanks.

Re: Insomnia

• I haven't had trouble with RLS, but DH has had it for years. When his legs are bothering him a lot, he wraps his feet up tightly in the sheets and he can sleep better that way. I don't know if that medically makes any sense or if he's just special, but it might be worth a shot.

As far as getting to sleep ordinarily, I've found that my sleep patterns are very much tied to what I did about an hour before bedtime... If I'm on the computer or watching TV I can't sleep, but if I spend an hour or so reading before bed I'm much more likely to get to sleep and sleep well through the night. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I don't sleep. I'm totally uncomfortable and since most babies are nocturnal, my little guy moves all night long. I've given up at this point. Luckily for me, I don't have a set work schedule, so I can sleep during the day if need be.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry! I've been experiencing this also for the past few weeks. The only thing I do is lie in bed for hours until I drift off to sleep (usually after 3 am).

It sucks..  I have a doctors appt tmw in which I plan to ask my doc about what I can safely take. Hopefully, it gets better.

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic It's a GIRL!!!!! Married my sweetheart: 3.28.09
  • I don't have any suggestions, unfortunately, but wanted to let you know that I completely sympathize with you. I don't have RLS, but I have REALLY sore hip and leg joints.

I have found that using a heating pad where any pain is has helped a little bit, but meds don't help.

I hope you can get some rest!

claudia poirier
    Little Dude: 16 Apr. 2009 | Little Doll: 10 Jun. 2012

• You may be over this by now but chances are you're deficient in key nutrients. Add a Calcium with Magnesium tablet and 200mg of potassium about an hour before you go to sleep and see if that helps.  Also make sure you are getting enough calcium throughout the day, if not, take one more pill whenever you're not taking your prenatal (body can only absorb so much calcium at one time).  If your DH is willing have him stretch your legs.  Also if you've never been to a chiropractor, try that, they have helped me in addition to getting the right minerals.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"