Military Families
Options

Collecting unemployment when husband will PCS

Does anybody have any experience with this? I currently work full time, however we will be PCSing in November. I will subsequently have to quit my job. I've looked at my state's unemployment website but nothing is mentioned about military spouses. I live in Hawaii, and from what I've researched, military spouses are treated case-by case. I can't seem to find any "guidelines" to help assist me to see if I'm eligible or not. I know I need to call or go down in person, but I'm struggling to find the time. My work hours coincide, and allow zero flexibility, with most government working hours. What has been everybody's experience thus far? This wil be my
first PCS with my husband. I guess you could say I'm kind of a newbie to all of this. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Collecting unemployment when husband will PCS

• Options
    This happened to me during our first PCS move. I just filled out a claim and they called me up and asked for orders, etc and then I was put on unemployment until I was able to find a job. I can't be 100% sure about Hawaii's policy but I would just fill out a claim and when they process it they will give you a call. Just be sure to put in any comments sections pretty concise details about your situation. GL
  • Options
    Yep, I would just call the Hawaii Unemployment Office...they may have certain restrictions you have to follow. I collected from Alaska when we PCS'd last year and one of their restrictions was I had to stay at my job up until pretty much the last few days before our departure. If I were to stop working say 30 days before our departure date they wouldn't have approved the claim. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When we PCSed Hawaii to Virginia, Hawaii said as it was VA policy to not pay unemployment to Military spouses on the baises of PCS; they denied me.

But When we PCS VA to California, CA does pay the UE and VA paid part of my claims.

It really depends on where your going and how Hawaii decides to rule this, but If you get a "no", my experience was, that no one will tell you different. However I KNOW they pay UE if your going TO hawaii. I had a lot of friends get paid to not work. I ended up finding a job about a month after we moved there so it was not even worth it for me to continue the claim process...

Also I knwo with all the NEW UE regulations out there things may be different now. When we transfered from Hawaii to VA it was 5 years ago.

Good Luck!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Options
    I am currently collecting unemployment from Indiana.  My DH got orders for NC so I had to quit my job to move with him.  All I had to do was file for unemployment in IN and state the reason (having to move due to military).  I didn't have to show DH's orders or anything.
  • Options

Hi there.

I went through this when we Pcs'ed from Hawaii. Just make an initial claim and then you will need to have a copy of the orders to be faxed to them as well.  I was also asked a bunch of standard questions.They are really hard to get ahold of via phone. I didnt place my claim until we actually Pcs'ed so it was really difficult to get it all going, but once I did everything was great. I did the online filing system once everything was going. It says that you can only file online if you are residing in Hawaii, but when I actually talked to a person they said I could file online. Hope this helps a little bit.

• Options

Thanks for the replies, all!

Brayanne, we're you able to collect then? Also, how long before you actually PCSed did you quit your job?

• Options
    This is something I never thought of. My husband is PCSing to Pennsylvania in sept. we currently live in illinois. I am teaching and will have to leave my teaching position at the end of the school year. Would I apply for unemployment in IL or PA? PA does allow military spouses to collect unemployment and IL has a case by case policy. Thanks for any info! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageaugiegirl:
    This is something I never thought of. My husband is PCSing to Pennsylvania in sept. we currently live in illinois. I am teaching and will have to leave my teaching position at the end of the school year. Would I apply for unemployment in IL or PA? PA does allow military spouses to collect unemployment and IL has a case by case policy. Thanks for any info! 

You have to apply in the state that you worked (so in your situation it is IL). 

• Options
    imageSamiantha101:

Thanks for the replies, all!

Brayanne, we're you able to collect then? Also, how long before you actually PCSed did you quit your job?

I wouldn't quit your job (and apply for the UI) until you have the official orders on paper.  That way you will be able to show proof if necessary.  I didn't quit my job until a week before I actually moved.

• Options

Thanks! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"