VBAC
Options

Any chance for a VBAC after 2 c-sections?

aforstaforst member

I had an emergency c-section w/ DS1 4 hours after my water broke.  His h/r was very low, so no issues w/ actual labor.  My OB offered to let me try for a VBAC w/ DS2, but I elected to have another c-section.  DS2 was born at 39 weeks 1 day.

I haven't discussed this with my OB yet and I'm not even pregnant right now.  We don't plan to TTC until next year.  My hospital had a lot of stipulations about VBAC in the first place.  I had to go into labor, on my own, by my due date.  They would also not supplement the labor at all if it stalled.  So, I don't know if trying a VBAC after 2 c-sections will even be an option for me.

Has anyone been allowed to have a VBAC after 2 c-sections? I'm not sure if there are any hospitals or OB's in my area that would.  If my OB won't, I might check around to see if I can find someone who will.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Any chance for a VBAC after 2 c-sections?

• Options

I am switching from OB's to hospital-based midwives in order to have a chance to do the same.   The OB's were mildly supportive of my first VBAC attempt, with the same stipulations you had.   But this time, they pretty much said no without saying no. First, I was told to "keep discussing this at each appt" and that turned into "I don't think it's possible for you,"  "only if you go into labor a month early" etc.  It's worth calling them to find out if there have been any VBA2C's in the practice.

I suggest that you start attending ICAN chapter meetings in your area to learn about supportive providers and meet a few moms with the same goal (or those who have already tried.)  Because you are starting your search early, you have a shot at finding a provider who believes in you and your desire to avoid surgery if possible. It's worth fighting for your desired birth.  Good luck!

• Options

I can't say personally about a VBA2C, but I know they can be done, and I commend you for considering it.  In fact, I know a woman who had a VBA3C as a home water-birth. 

I will say, the most important thing you can do, is find a provider who is 100% on board with it when the time comes.  You will most likely have to follow the same "rules" as a regular VBAC patient. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You should contact this woman: https://birthingbeautifulideas.com/?page_id=557

She lives in Indiana and is a doula (and has had two VBACs), so I bet she knows doctors/hospitals who would be friendly to a VBA2C mom. I would definitely start scouting out people now. Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    ACOG has an official statement that says it is OK to attempt a VBAC after 2 sections but in my practice we only try after one section. And I've never met an OB who tries it. They usually just don't want to take the risk. I am sure you can find an out of hospital midwife to attend your birth but you have to accept those risks.
    TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

While i am not pregnant yet, I am considering one and my doctor is supportive of the idea.

I definitely think it's an option worth exploring.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have had two c/s also... 4.5 and 6 years ago.  At my first appointment this time, my OB said "3 strikes...you're out."   There has never been any discussion about a VBA2C my third c/s is scheduled for 4 weeks from now.

I started thinking about a VBA2C over the last few days because I honestly feel like my body is getting ready for labor.  I've been having a lot of pain and contractions and things that I never had with my first two.

I don't want to get my hopes up that a VBA2C is possible and I don't want to ask my doctor about it - she's not the supportive type and she's very "by-the-book."  I'm just secretly hoping (in a way) that I'll go into labor on my own and they won't stop it or force me to have a c/s.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"