Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

WWYD Re 4.5 month old sleep issues

So as a 2nd time mom I feel a bit incompetent because we were able to resolve my older son's sleep issues (Ferber at 6 months and now he is an amazing sleeper at 2).  However, my older son was on formula and solids.   My little guy is EBF and has barely tasted cereal.  Also we got into the co-sleeping/nursing all night habit because we are currently living at my in-laws because our home is being renovated and I can't nap during the day because the two kids are never asleep at the same time.  I don't plan on doing anything different until we are back in our own home in May and Ds#2 is 6 months.  However, I'd love some ideas about how to proceed with sleep training at that time.  I am ok with CIO, but I'm not sure if I should take some steps prior to that to get him to nurse less at night and to get him to sleep in his crib again when we get home. (We have a pack n play here at my in-laws house but he is too big for the bassinet and I am too short to get him into it without waking him.  He has been napping in it just fine but at nighttime he won't have anything to do with it).  Thanks so much for reading!  Looking forward to feedback!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!

Re: WWYD Re 4.5 month old sleep issues

• Options

no advice..just good luck. LOis EBF and doesnt sleep thru the night. still bedsharing and RNP using! 

Will it ever end? Tried CIO for naptime and he screamed for 10-15 min.Im a FTMso I gave in.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Options
    OP you have more experience than me, but for JKTTC1, it does end! If you were CIO by extinction (not going in at all) versus checking/reassuring baby in intervals (what ferber suggests), that can sometimes be harder on mamas! Either will work, but I find the intervals work better for our family. I started out with 3,6,9 minutes and I am up to 9,12,15 minute intervals. I really recommend Ferber's book. After just a few nights, DS usually falls asleep right when I put him down (without any theatrics before hand- I don't have to rock him, nurse him until he is ALMOST asleep or asleep. I lay him slightly drowsy down and he is out) :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Check out thebabysleepsite.com.  I just got my personalized sleep plan from them yesterday and am figuring out my exact game plan now.  I have a feeling it's going to help.
    Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

• Options

I would recommend ferber's method again, especially since it worked for you the first time.

DD is EBF and we were also co sleeping up until 3 weeks ago when we started sleep training. Like your baby, she nursed frequently throughout the night so I wasnt sure if it would work all at once.  But it did! She sleeps great in her crib now and usually wakes just twice to nurse (a few times even once!).  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses!  I think we probably will do Ferber again once we are back in our own house.  I don't mind if he wakes to eat, I just want to be able to put him back in his crib when he is done.  HBear19, it is comforting to know that it worked well for you, since you were in a very similar situation.  Best of luck to you all!  FWIW, with my first son I did find it harder to do CIO with naps than at night.  Once he was around 14 months old, we did plain old extinction for naps and it worked quickly, but he was much older, obviously.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"