Working Moms

Changing insurance while pregnant?

Does anyone have any experience with changing insurance plans while pregnant?  I will be moving from one full-time job to another but I'm worried that the new insurance won't cover the pregnancy as a "pre-existing condition."  I won't have any gap in coverage, and the policies may actually overlap for a little because of some vacation time I have.  Any info anyone has will be greatly appreciated.  This whole process has been very stressful. Still worried I am going to get fired. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Changing insurance while pregnant?

• I don?t know if it is a state to state law but none of my friends in Maryland have had issues switching the only downfall is it may cost you more out of pocket depending on deductible.  I know private insurance can exclude you some say you can not become pregnant within the first 6 months of coverage or before coverage takes effect.  If your condition is excluded you can extend your old coverage through Cobra.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm just a lurker, but I wanted to give my input because I've been in a similar situation. I know there are always differences with each state, scenario, etc., but I went from a job with no insurance to a job with group insurance while pregnant. While researching, I was told that group insurance does not treat pregnancy as a preexisting condition. Everything worked out and I was completely covered. I understand how stressful the whole insurance thing can be while pregnant. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I changed jobs and insurance while pregnant.  I was told that the insurance companies are not allowed to consider pregnancy as a pre-existing condition, and that the new ins co will have to cover the pregnancy.  I had no problems with the change-over.  You should prob check with your dr though, to be sure that they take your new ins.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagenattyk:
    I changed jobs and insurance while pregnant.  I was told that the insurance companies are not allowed to consider pregnancy as a pre-existing condition, and that the new ins co will have to cover the pregnancy.  I had no problems with the change-over.  You should prob check with your dr though, to be sure that they take your new ins.

This, but also check with your hospital and the anesthesiologist (if you will have one) because thye may or may not be in the same network as your doctor

• As long as you are going from group insurance to group insurance with no lapse, there should be no problems whatsoever! I did it. Also, check with your new job about short term disability. When I switched jobs, I was eligible for STD even though my pg was a pre-exisiting condition. I was just limited to 4 weeks vs 6 weeks for non pre exisiting pg. It may help since you probably won't have much paid leave built up at a new job.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I went on MH's insurance while pregnant b/c he had better coverage.  I had both until my next open enrollment which was 2 months before LO was born.  I was very nervous about it and called them a few times verifying that they didn't count pregnancy as a pre-existing condition and exactly what would be covered, etc.  It worked really well for us.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Fairly certain they can't consider it a pre-existing condition.

BUT, many employers have a "waiting period" before new insurance kicks in.  sometimes it is 90 days, sometimes it is the 1st of the month after you've worked a full calendar month.  So I'd check into this.  If this is the case, you can always pay for COBRA to continue your old insurance until the new one kicks in.

• Due to HIPAA pregnancy can no longer be considered a pre existing condition (in the US).
  • When I was shopping for insurance last fall, I was told that under the new federal health care law there is no waiting period for pre-natal care and it is not a pre-ex. Just make sure you don't have a coverage gap. L&D is another matter.

My situation is weird because we were living in Canada the last couple of years and became pregnant when we moved back to the U.S. Apparently there is some confusion as to whether Canadian insurance can be considered "continuous credible coverage" in the U.S. I got one customer service rep to tell me they would cover L&D after previously being told by someone else with the same company say they might now. I documented the conversation, as we could never get a straight answer about this. So if our insurance company decides to deny our L&D claims I guess I'll have to take it up with the state health insurance commissioner.

• imagecourtjoy23:
    group insurance does not treat pregnancy as a preexisting condition.

This is true. Going from group coverage to another group coverage your pregnancy cannot be considered pre-existing. 

Even if you didn't have prior coverage going to fully insured group coverage it cannot be considered pre-existing.

If your new employer is a self-insured policy (aso group - the group funds pays the claims) they set the rules. They tell the insurance company how to administer the plan and pay the claims. 

• Thank you so much to everyone who answered.  You have helped me sleep better for the past few nights.  I had my pre-employment physical today and it did come up, so as long as my job offer doesn't disappear (which I am pretty sure it can't because I already have a copy of the executed contract) it seems like I should be OK.  I know I won't get much for maternity leave and whatever I get likely won't be paid (maybe a little disability), but this new job will be a MUCH better fit for me and my expanding family.  Keep your fingers crossed for us, and happy holidays to all who celebrate. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"